4 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Lees has been poor for a season and a half. I think Thorniley is a better defender and distributor of the ball and him alongside Hector I think is a good tandem.

But as Blueandwhite stated above, Lees has been a permanent fixture since he arrived, and i do not see that changing. However, Lees has been shocking recently, and his back pass to Dawson beggars belief.

He’s starting to show well I’m starting to see the shambles of a defender that he performed for Leeds when we stuffed them 6-0 

8 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

After Hectors performance at Luton in midfield was not up to the quality Hutch can do is it time for Thorniley and Hector to play centre half when Hutch or Pelupessy available and drop Tom Lees. I have heard all the excuses for Lees form (missing Loovens / needs Westwood etc) but basically I starting to think Lees is our week link in the middle of defence. Maybe Fox and Palmer are not good enough to help out which may be true. Before signing another centre half I think we need to see Thorniley and Hector together because if it works out ok we could concentrate on finding 2 quality full backs instead of a centre half which in my opinion is more important atm. I can't remember Tom Lees playing well this season ??

He's had his moments, he's even scored ;) But that's not enough when you see how many goals we've conceded and how many games we've lost. He's not solely to blame, but when you see stuff like yesterday, and it's not really a one-off, you've become a liability.

As partner to Loovens in an excellent CB duo where Loovens was captain, Lees was really solid, but since Loovens' departure and being handed the captain's armband, it seems he can't cope filling those shoes. With Hector by him in CB position, he seemed more confident again, but then it nearly felt like Hector taking on Loovens' role and demoting Lees back to "second in command".

Those mistakes should cost Lees his starting position for the next game, let's stick with Palmer - Hector - Thorniley - Fox at the back and stick Hutch in as covering DM... believe we'd see a lot more solid defensive game then.

You know how some great cricketers get given a captaincy and then become worse batsmen because they are focusing on the captaincy too much? I think the same happens with Lees. He's much much better when there are senior pros around and he's worrying about his game instead of everyone else's

Guest Willow Owl
13 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

He's had his moments, he's even scored ;) But that's not enough when you see how many goals we've conceded and how many games we've lost. He's not solely to blame, but when you see stuff like yesterday, and it's not really a one-off, you've become a liability.

As partner to Loovens in an excellent CB duo where Loovens was captain, Lees was really solid, but since Loovens' departure and being handed the captain's armband, it seems he can't cope filling those shoes. With Hector by him in CB position, he seemed more confident again, but then it nearly felt like Hector taking on Loovens' role and demoting Lees back to "second in command".

Those mistakes should cost Lees his starting position for the next game, let's stick with Palmer - Hector - Thorniley - Fox at the back and stick Hutch in as covering DM... believe we'd see a lot more solid defensive game then.

Edited by Willow Owl
Posted by accident sorry

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

No matter who we have had in charge of the team. 

One thing is a given with every manager that we have had.

Tom Lees starts. 

Think this answers the question.

I don't think its a given anymore though that Lees is a definite starter. If (hypothetically) speaking if we did sign Hector and another leader at the back, whats to guarantee Lees a starting spot .. he just looks totally off the boil at the moment and needs a rocket up his arse. perhaps a spell on the bench might work out for him

6 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Lees has been poor for a season and a half. I think Thorniley is a better defender and distributor of the ball and him alongside Hector I think is a good tandem.

But as Blueandwhite stated above, Lees has been a permanent fixture since he arrived, and i do not see that changing. However, Lees has been shocking recently, and his back pass to Dawson beggars belief.

He no longer seems comfortable on the ball, looks laboured. This will be an unpopular call, but if we are having a clear out in summer, it might be time to let him leave.

I say this as I believe he has the ability, but not the desire. 

Alterntively, you could say our last 2 coaches have ruined him - but he has to shoulder some of the blame for his own performances.

Guest Willow Owl

We kept a clean sheet FFS.

He made a bad back pass but they didnt score, or am i missing something. What about the number of crosses and corners they pumped into our box which we defended well (including Lees).

Apart from Hull (where everybody was rubbish) the Back four has improved massively recently and that includes Lees. 

Since he has been at the club TL has been the first choice CB for every manager so i think they might know a little more than the Alex Ferguson's on Owlstalk. 

We need a big clear out in the summer agreed, but for me TL isnt one of them. We need to get behind the team while we go through the rebuilding process not slaughter their every move. 

Agree with Markowl regarding Scapegoats. 

31 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I don't think its a given anymore though that Lees is a definite starter. If (hypothetically) speaking if we did sign Hector and another leader at the back, whats to guarantee Lees a starting spot .. he just looks totally off the boil at the moment and needs a rocket up his arse. perhaps a spell on the bench might work out for him

My point is more that every manager he has ever had here have all decided he is there number one defender despite the odd mistakes now and again.

He must have a lot of qualities for them all to continuously play him and I would be surprised if Bruce sees it any different.

Edited by pazowl55

2 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We kept a clean sheet FFS.

He made a bad back pass but they didnt score, or am i missing something. What about the number of crosses and corners they pumped into our box which we defended well (including Lees).

Apart from Hull (where everybody was rubbish) the Back four has improved massively recently and that includes Lees. 

Since he has been at the club TL has been the first choice CB for every manager so i think they might know a little more than the Alex Ferguson's on Owlstalk. 

We need a big clear out in the summer agreed, but for me TL isnt one of them. We need to get behind the team while we go through the rebuilding process not slaughter their every move. 

Agree with Markowl regarding Scapegoats. 

Agreed. Basically what I have been saying.

Edited by pazowl55

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

One thing I would agree with, Tom Lees is not captain material He’s not a natural leader, and he certainly isn’t an organiser, and it might free him up a bit, if allowed to concentrate on his main job

Agree with that but would taking the captains armband off him help ?

He shouldn't have been given it in the first place but would taking it off him knock his confidence more ?