New manager new right back

When we get a new manager and seeing as we do not have a semi competent right back at the club could it be worth trying Joey at right back? Hopefully a new manager in will see certain players who are currently "unavailable for selection" become available again so hopefully could see hutch back in the team. Joey does have a good engine, cross and tackle on him so surely he'd be a massive improvement on either of our current options?

Why not he is crap in the centre of the park so lets see if he is crap at right back too.

Or and this is a radical idea we bring in a loan signing of a player who can play right back such as Dominic Iorfa who is currently available and will be a free agent in the summer WTF:

26 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

When we get a new manager and seeing as we do not have a semi competent right back at the club could it be worth trying Joey at right back? Hopefully a new manager in will see certain players who are currently "unavailable for selection" become available again so hopefully could see hutch back in the team. Joey does have a good engine, cross and tackle on him so surely he'd be a massive improvement on either of our current options?

Not a bad idea Joey at right back...

Right Back on the Plane to Holland!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, damianb1 said:

Whilst I agree he could be more use there than Palmer and Baker we really need to be looking to get a new one in ASAP

Both full back positions need filling. Palmer isn’t good enough and it’s too much to expect a young lad from the academy to come straight in and be consistent all year. We also need a center back that can organise the defence.

if we are looking at what we have available now I would stick with a back 4 of

Palmer Lees Hector/Thorniley Penney

Play 2 holding midfielders to try and get the solidity from the midfield to counteract the weak defence we have.

Edited by 83owl

2 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Ithought you were going to say Bruce & Bruce lol

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Why not he is crap in the centre of the park so lets see if he is crap at right back too.

Or and this is a radical idea we bring in a loan signing of a player who can play right back such as Dominic Iorfa who is currently available and will be a free agent in the summer WTF:

When has Iorfa done anything of note?

46 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

When has Iorfa done anything of note?

Played over 100 games at championship level, and is a former England under 21 international and at one point was worth millions.

He is a big strapping lad who can play both right back and right wing and at only 23 currently (24 in the summer) he has room for improvement.

But more importantly he in the summer will be a free agent due to the foreign international players in front of him at big spending Wolves so we play our cards right we get an improvement on what we have and at the right prices.

For me its a no brainer but if you prefer Baker or Palmer then that's your choice.

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

It'll take some to replace Jack Hunt.

I don't care how many haters he had. He was one of the players that raised the profile of the team. He allowed us to compete higher in the league and it's obvious how much we miss him now.

The ones who hated him did not have much of a clue tbh, as did (imo) the ones who thought Palmer could step up. It was pretty obvious how much we were going to miss him as he was an important part to the way we played. He had his faults no doubt about it but his replacements are nowhere near his level. He always gave us an option on the right flank with his overlapping runs and his ability / desire to get back and defend with the same vigour. Yes his final ball was often not the best and he could be done at the back post when he was defending but I never thought teams actually targeted him personally as a weakness like they do with the rest of our fullbacks / wingbacks. I'd qualify that by saying teams targeted both our fullbacks towards the end of CC's tenure when he was playing a narrow midfield diamond which left them criminally exposed (see 2-4 Utd) Getting £1.6 million for him was good business for me IF it had been invested in two new fullbacks but Jos didn't really have that luxury did he as we were under an embargo and you could argue that signing a centre half on loan was a priority as we had lost Venancio and Loovens.

We are now seeing the effects of not strengthening the back line - it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that defence was always going to be the weakness before a ball was kicked this season. How some chose to ignore this was beyond me. Jos (with a couple of notable exceptions) did not shuffle his defence around last season...he stuck to a back 5 which could occasionally at times have a go at playing as a back 3 with the two wingbacks playing how wingbacks should i.e Hunt and Reach high up the pitch. Now apart from the hit and miss Penney we haven't got that option as Palmer, Fox and Baker will never make a WB while I've an hole in mi 'arris. So he plays a back 4 instead and they get pissed on as the fullbacks are poor and they get little protection from the midfield so he then goes back to a back 5 and then to a back 4 and so on...he did not do this last season when he could trust his back 5 and Hunt at least could provide an outlet. Now it's a reyt flipping mess with mixed up thinking with decent defenders with confidence shot and defenders that are not up to standard with confidence shot. Chuck into the mix we have a young lad in goal just starting out in the game, well it's not good is it?