New manager new right back

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

The ones who hated him did not have much of a clue tbh, as did (imo) the ones who thought Palmer could step up. It was pretty obvious how much we were going to miss him as he was an important part to the way we played. He had his faults no doubt about it but his replacements are nowhere near his level. He always gave us an option on the right flank with his overlapping runs and his ability / desire to get back and defend with the same vigour. Yes his final ball was often not the best and he could be done at the back post when he was defending but I never thought teams actually targeted him personally as a weakness like they do with the rest of our fullbacks / wingbacks. I'd qualify that by saying teams targeted both our fullbacks towards the end of CC's tenure when he was playing a narrow midfield diamond which left them criminally exposed (see 2-4 Utd) Getting £1.6 million for him was good business for me IF it had been invested in two new fullbacks but Jos didn't really have that luxury did he as we were under an embargo and you could argue that signing a centre half on loan was a priority as we had lost Venancio and Loovens.

We are now seeing the effects of not strengthening the back line - it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that defence was always going to be the weakness before a ball was kicked this season. How some chose to ignore this was beyond me. Jos (with a couple of notable exceptions) did not shuffle his defence around last season...he stuck to a back 5 which could occasionally at times have a go at playing as a back 3 with the two wingbacks playing how wingbacks should i.e Hunt and Reach high up the pitch. Now apart from the hit and miss Penney we haven't got that option as Palmer, Fox and Baker will never make a WB while I've an hole in mi 'arris. So he plays a back 4 instead and they get pissed on as the fullbacks are poor and they get little protection from the midfield so he then goes back to a back 5 and then to a back 4 and so on...he did not do this last season when he could trust his back 5 and Hunt at least could provide an outlet. Now it's a reyt flipping mess with mixed up thinking with decent defenders with confidence shot and defenders that are not up to standard with confidence shot. Chuck into the mix we have a young lad in goal just starting out in the game, well it's not good is it? 

The circumstance we find ourselves in isn't brilliant. Could be worse. Could be better.

Jos is trying and testing everything. He walked into a mess. He initially had some very positive results....then lost Venancio, Wallace, Loovens, Rhodes, Hunt, Hirst, Clare....

Fan base expectancy naturally rises like every club, at the beginning of every season despite above facts^. 

Now nobody is happy and every little thing bugs people

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Played over 100 games at championship level, and is a former England under 21 international and at one point was worth millions.

He is a big strapping lad who can play both right back and right wing and at only 23 currently (24 in the summer) he has room for improvement.

But more importantly he in the summer will be a free agent due to the foreign international players in front of him at big spending Wolves so we play our cards right we get an improvement on what we have and at the right prices.

For me its a no brainer but if you prefer Baker or Palmer then that's your choice.

Let’s get Jay Bothroyd because he is a former England u21. However, I get your point but only if we can get him cheap.

• Haha 1