Dawson

2 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

A lot to be said about this.

There are more factors to being a goalkeeper than simply making saves.     

What Westwood has given us that neither Dawson or Wildsmith currently do:-

1) the urgency - I have seen Westwood start attacks by quick distribution, either by throw or kick.   Dawson and Wildsmith currently don't do this.

2) The voice.  Both Wildsmith and Dawson need to develop this and engage the defense to give instruction.
3) Bloody mindedness.  If you commit, you commit - you either get it right or you don't, but if you are in two minds - you will fail every time.
4) Influence - this is in part most of the above, but if you ooze calmness and have a commanding voice, those around you will feel confident.

I have non clue what has gone off with Westwood, so I will not comment on that.    Nor if he should be selected.   I also think Dawson had a poor game and Wildsmith should be considered for selection next up based on that.

I do think both Wildsmith and Dawson whilst yes - they are good and are showing promise, need to be a bit more arrogant on the pitch and looking at a player like Westwood could improve their overall game.    

Westwood is not the best at goal kicks.   But both these kids are worse than him at that - that needs to be addressed too.   None will ever be as good as Pressman for instance who always seemed to find Brights head, and later Booths head - but they do need to improve and at least consistently get it over the half way line at very least!!

I tell you what I agree with that but its bloody tough. 

The voice comes with familiarity. 

Decision making/commitment comes with game time. I think that’s a reason sometimes foreigners take some time to settle.

Like you say calmness comes from the above. Soccer Saturday had a decent peiece with the Fulham keeper. Said you’ll see lots going on loan to none league and lower leagues before they make the step up to championship and prem level. That’s where you gain your experience and get confidence.

Went on to say it’s such a unique position which I agree with. 

I do wonder with goal kicks if it’s down to strength or technique. I personally struggled with dead balls until much older where I found it easier. Roll it back and I could clear a pitch. Dead balls I was poor. I’m sure their coaches will work on it. 

5 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

I'll tell you one thing Jonesy, I personally would fall short on goal kicks - it's something that needs a lot of strength to do, maybe 20 times a game too.

Yeh, out of hands it’s easier but less accurate. Bit like a golf shot off a tee. Easier to strike through. 

Some make dead balls look easy. Those with fantastic technique mainly. Them that aren’t blessed need bloody Semedo legs! 

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

QUESTION

If Dawson improved his catching of the ball and distribution would that be enough to satisfy everyone to back him and forget about Westwood?

I'm not adamant I want Westwood back.  I want to know why he isn't playing mind you.   I am really curious on that.

On paper, Westwood would have to be number one, but we have no idea why he is out of contention, and football isn't played on paper.

2 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

It is what it is. However, my opinion is that it is simply crazy to pay Westwood around 25k per week and have him nowhere near the squad. 

It is...but then we have no idea what has gone off. 

Has he fallen out with Jos? 

Did that Tweet (about him not being injured) see him booted to the sidelines? 

Is his lack of inclusion down to Chansiri? 

Was anyone willing to pay Westwood the wages and take him off our hands? 

Who knows. 

What I will say though, is that Westwood's lack of inclusion or exclusion shouldn't be a stick to beat Cameron Dawson with. 

• Thanks 1

westwood is in the same group as abdi. jones, boyd , players who'll we'll get nothing for when they leave in the summer ….dawson & wildsmith are good young keepers who hopefully if they continue to develop could be worth millions so I can see the sense of preferring them . ...we arnt going to progress if we just stick with the players that have failed to get us up in the past 3 years and ignore the young talent that we have . ……..the 4 mentioned along with hunt, loovens, Wallace and sadly maybe lee & hooper  is a huge burden lifted of the wage bill …..

any player can have a mare.

be it a young lad who may be a top prospect, or an experienced performer. it happens.

no surprise it happened to Dawson with all 'them' behind the goal 2nd half. can only imagine what he was hearing! 

hes used to it being sterile behind that goal. if we can all accept the fact that bad games happen to anyone, then its not really a biggie is it. not if you 'support' the players anyhow.

You only have to look at the Brentford away game, among many others, to see why hes worth sticking with. 

he has his faults, but they are faults that get ironed out with games, nerves and indecision mainly.

its understandable he still has these issues at such an early stage, much rather have those issues as a weakness than basic fundamentals, something Wildsmith has a habit of rearing its ugly head in the middle of a good game. 

Westwood needs u23 games before anyone should be calling for him to start so thats a no goer atm,

Dawson is the best we have right now. and hes a decent best at that.

Historically, in the main, Wednesday have often had a really good keeper.

theyve got another one now... if we let him grow!

Edited by GY-owl.4

1 hour ago, GY-owl.4 said:

any player can have a mare.

be it a young lad who may be a top prospect, or an experienced performer. it happens.

no surprise it happened to Dawson with all 'them' behind the goal 2nd half. can only imagine what he was hearing! 

hes used to it being sterile behind that goal. if we can all accept the fact that bad games happen to anyone, then its not really a biggie is it. not if you 'support' the players anyhow.

You only have to look at the Brentford away game, among many others, to see why hes worth sticking with. 

he has his faults, but they are faults that get ironed out with games, nerves and indecision mainly.

its understandable he still has these issues at such an early stage, much rather have those issues as a weakness than basic fundamentals, something Wildsmith has a habit of rearing its ugly head in the middle of a good game. 

Westwood needs u23 games before anyone should be calling for him to start so thats a no goer atm,

Dawson is the best we have right now. and hes a decent best at that.

Historically, in the main, Wednesday have often had a really good keeper.

theyve got another one now... if we let him grow!

With him not even getting a game at u23 level just smacks of something has happened behind the scenes. It's not down to ability as he is the best keeper in the squad, I've never had him down for being trouble if anything he is quite the opposite.

I just think it's a sad sad end for one of the best keepers we've had in recent years, twice player of the season and holder of our clean sheet record.

Edited by Blue and white

I dont get it. Westwood was at fault for lot of goals prior to his injury and was infact dropped by CC before his injury. We dont see how KW is doing in training but for JL to have put him at 3 4th choice he cant be doing anything in training thats catching the eye. I am sure if KW was training well and playing as well as CD or JW then KW would be in the squad or 1st team. Jos is playing the players who are performing and training the best. The fact KW is not in the 1st team suggest that he is not. Jos says no favourites and the shirt has to be earned, if he faulters on this in any way then he would be a week manager and he deffo is not that. So I suggest we back who JL picks and support them regardless of what you remember from a few seasons ago. The players dont pick the team. We have 3 great young keepers who getting better all the time. Yes they will make mistakes but they are a fantastic talent and will become wednesday heroes with support and coaching.

21 hours ago, markowl said:

How many shots did he fumble?

It must have been a lot if you were worried about him fumbling basic shots.

I never said he fumbled a shot, I said his nervy performance had me thinking he could potentially fumble. Read better next time 

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

QUESTION

If Dawson improved his catching of the ball and distribution would that be enough to satisfy everyone to back him and forget about Westwood?

Not a snowball’s chance in hell, once a figure of hate and ridicule, always a figure of hate and ridicule. However these folk are not representative of the majority of supporters, a couple of good performances and they will no doubt have found a replacement target, until he makes a mistake.

Edited by optimisticowl

50 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I never said he fumbled a shot, I said his nervy performance had me thinking he could potentially fumble. Read better next time 

So your worries weren't based on any facts.

Glad that's cleared up.