Dawson

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

A goal he should have saved according to someone in the Man of the match thread...

If he had saved it, it would have been the save of the season.   If given the choice I'd play Westwood but that in no way is to have a  go at Dawson, he has a bright future ahead of him and should be pleased with the progress he has made. 

10 hours ago, s6 owl said:

FFS can people just forget about Westwood! He will never play for this club again.

Was actually going to post similar.

Have the upmost respect for him and think he’s a class above. However it’s obvious he will never play for us again.

Might be best to pretend he’s not even our player when discussing Dawson and Wildsmith. Might give a more balanced argument

5 hours ago, james o connor said:

Funny there were no threads like this after westwood went down like a sack of spuds 4 times against the pigs. Some of his performances were down right shocking last season. Nowt like owls talk for hanging a player out to dry. 

See he gets poo for this game but he wasn’t even that bad.

Fault for the free kick was a daft decision by Lees. Horrible situation to be in for a keeper. Almost have to guess which way to go.

Second was also shocking defending and not holding a proper line and a good finish by Leon.

3rd deflating at the time. This whole keepers should never be beaten at their near post is bullshit. You stand there and have someone blast it past you from close range. Believe me it’s past you before you react. That being said I will criticise his position as he’s literally half a yard too far right. Ball might hit him otherwise.

4 goal. Poor header from Lees, the mess up from Van Aken and Lees. Westwood no change.

I was pissed off as anyone after that game, but for me he wasn’t directly at fault for any goal. By his standards his position should have been better for the third.

1 hour ago, roundhayowl said:

Jos to blame for this stupid insistence of playing it out from the back. It blatantly wasn’t working last night and we needed to abandon it. Instead, we were intent on self destruct mode which nearly and probably should have cost us. Dawson does not instill confidence and the reality is that until the club actually tell us what the hell is going on with Westwood, he will constantly be questioned. 

I agree it didn’t work and Jos has to take a portion of the blame. As a player on the pitch though, you need to use your intelligence and see the danger it’s causing. When the 4th or 5th time it put us under pressure you’d think the defence and Dawson would go longer and wider. Also those further up weren’t exactly offering an out ball.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Lets not make Dawson the latest scapegoat. The whole team were second best to Leeds in the second half, inevitably putting pressure on the last line of defence.

Watching Leeds last night reminded me very much of Howard Wilkinson’s best Owls teams. Full of super fit, physically powerful players, playing to a well rehearsed plan and steamrolling opponents into submission.

Fortunately for us they didn’t quite manage it but we won’t come up against many teams like Leeds this season.

Its not scapegoating pointing out a player has made mistakes. 

He didn’t cost us anything and it was a good point vs a very good side. But unfortunately he was poor last night.

We are allowed to say when a player has had a below par game. It’s not blasphemy

1 hour ago, nk said:

Were most of these posts made while on crack?

Don't understand the hate, it finished 1-1 and we were absolutely battered for most of the game.

Pointing out players errors is not hate.

Hate - feel intense dislike for.

I don’t see posts of people hating him. Mainly posts pointing out errors and backing him to do well in the future. 

21 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Was actually going to post similar.

Have the upmost respect for him and think he’s a class above. However it’s obvious he will never play for us again.

Might be best to pretend he’s not even our player when discussing Dawson and Wildsmith. Might give a more balanced argument

it's (for me) staggering that in a season 'where we have to go up' we go out without our best keeper, and haven't had a clean sheet yet.

• Thanks 1

Dawson is not the best goalkeeper at the club and this should be reflected in team selection. I'm sure he has a good future ahead of him but no one who has played football at any level can deny that he does not dominate his six yard box let alone the penalty area, his punching his poor and his distribution limited. The stats are irrelevant as they do not measure how much pressure the defence are under as a result of all these points. All credit to Lees,Hector and Thorniley in particular for the point earned last night; that's not to say Dawson didn't make some very good saves but...

Jos should be playing his best 11 and that should include Westy in goal.

5 hours ago, james o connor said:

Funny there were no threads like this after westwood went down like a sack of spuds 4 times against the pigs. Some of his performances were down right shocking last season. Nowt like owls talk for hanging a player out to dry. 

Agree with this to an extent re westwood and tbf I do think most people rate dawson but last night he was shakey, flapped at crosses and came for catches that he totally missed by some distance, comunication was poor and you can tell jos had instructed him and others to play it out from the back other teams will note that too, that said I still like him and if he can improve we will be okay, dont think anyone is hanging the kid out tbf.

As for kids thoug, peakcock-farrell for leeds looks like he will play at a higher level.

Agree with Jonesy,with a bit more experience Cammy will chase the defenders out ,roll it out of the box to gain 10 yards,which would see the likes of Fletch move wide to get a better way to attack the ball.If it drops free at least we would be more compact to pick up the loose ball.

Teams try to shut the City keeper down to stop them playing out but their keepers still don't mind knocking it long.

Cam looks like he is playing to orders and as a young keeper ain't going to challenge Jos just yet.Lad is still doing well by the way.

5 minutes ago, dnhc said:

it's (for me) staggering that in a season 'where we have to go up' we go out without our best keeper, and haven't had a clean sheet yet.

I agree it could be anything though. Contract related, discipline related, financially.

If it’s down to disclipline though I don’t think he can be played as that could disrupt the whole side and do more damage than good.

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can someone show me the goals he let in that he should have saved?

This anti Dawson campaign needs to stop 

The stats totally back Dawson vs the experts calling for his head 

Stats mean absolutely nothing...physical performance mean everything and he looks vulnerable!!

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

I agree it could be anything though. Contract related, discipline related, financially.

If it’s down to disclipline though I don’t think he can be played as that could disrupt the whole side and do more damage than good.

it could, but if it's 'discipline', how bad does it get that you'll damage the team rather than find a solution.

management is about making things happen, sometimes you have to be the bigger person, so on that thought i don't think it's discipline, i think it maybe 'contractual issues'.

14 minutes ago, dnhc said:

If Westwood wanted to play for this team he would be busting a gut in training...ask yourself why he isn't ?

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yet we have had our best start in years and years and results have been fantastic 

i wouldn't say they were 'fantastic' they're improving (but according to what i'm hearing coming out of the club, they need to, as we have to go up).

i put previous season's poor starts up to 'no money' or 'late recruitment' of big players, and pisspoor management.

The crowd nerves are getting to him. Doesn't command his area enough. 

That said, half the problem is our lack of a defensive voice. We've got a loan signing, 2 kids and Tom Lees. Put a Lyons, Pearson or Anderson in front of him, and you would see a different keeper imo. 

I fear Dawson is one cockup away from the drop. Personally. I'd take him out of the firing line now for a short while, before that happens, and is confidence takes a huge knock.