Dawson

For me the issue is quite simple, in that Dawson whilst young is still continuing to make the same mistakes game after game.

On Friday, the two instances in the first half involving Baker and Joey should have been sorted by Dawson communicating to both players, the need not to play the ball. Add to that his flapping at a couple of crosses, and on two occasions being rooted to the spot on corners, when he could and should have come to claim the ball, give me the impression that he is still quiet nieve.

I am sure he will get better, but genuinely, he does not inspire me with confidence. His kicking and general distribution need a lot of work, but most importantly of all, when he does make a save, he needs to get the hell up straight away and look for quick opportunities to progress play, instead of lying on the floor for ten seconds allowing the opposition to get back into position.

Many on here cite our league position that somehow correlates to Dawson being a big part of it. He has made a number of saves, but equally it is fair to say that his positioning and anticipation have also directly contributed to conceeding, over and above the defensive play of those in front of him.

Think Dawson is a top young keeper and will get better and better but having seen some top keepers in my time supporting Wednesday including the fabulous Ron Springett i have to say that he should not be in ahead of Westwood, i know people will say here we go again but whatever has gone on should be sorted asap, a lot of quality keepers are in there prime in the 30 + age group so this is one example of Lahukays plan of 19 to 23 that doesnt always work.

• Like 1

Westwood will be 34 next month and has not figured in any match managed by Jos, if he replaced Dawson with him and he had a mare, the Jos haters would have a birthday. Dawson is the future, we’ve rammed the squad with senior players before, and yes we did well, but not for long, don’t expect instant success guys.

This time last season Westwood was dropping bo11ocks, his distribution was poor. Infact for all those saying Dawson holds the ball to long, Westwood used to launch it at a player with 3 around him before ther rest of the team was anywhere near that lone player. He also appeared to need treatment every match, could be the injuries but at 34 he's done. We won't get promoted and we shouldn't get relegated with him in or out of the team. A perfect time to blood one of the youngest

Wildsmith is a decent keeper but is a spiller and his distribution is worse than all 3 keepers. He always makes a few costly mistakes

Dawson's biggest problem now is nerves, he will probably play better away from home.

He doesn't seem to appear to command his area and his distribution needs work but it is no worse then the other 2. He needs strong leaders around him to help but the strongest one is another still learning.

(Thorniley has been the most vocal in organising the  defence this season

Nothing ever changes at Hillsborough, we have a few months supporting players but then you can sense fans hoping for the vitriol to return. However I think it is a Sheffielder thing take more pleasure in seeing others fail rather then trying to succeed themselves. Us and pigs are a perfect example.

53 minutes ago, markowl said:

Unfortunately some of our "supporters" can't let a game go by without moaning or finding a scapegoat.

I don't get it. We get a very good point against Leeds. In a game where we got dominated and instead of seeing the positives, people are falling over themselves to absolutely hammer a young keeper. 

It's even been said in this thread that the Leeds goal could have been easily saved. Nowhere have I seen that if Tom Lees doesn't duck out of the way, he blocks the shot. 

The comparisons with westwood are ridiculous. The simple fact is that Westwood won't be playing for us again, along with 2/3 others (abdi, jones, lee). This is the decision of Jos and D.C. What is Dawson supposed to do? Refuse to play? Question the decision to drop Westwood?

He isn't going to do either of those  things, he's going to get on and play. 

Aim all the nonsense at the manager and chairman of you don't want him playing, don't sit there and try to ruin Dawson for decisions that are out of his control. 

What a fvvcking crap thread! Dawson is a young player finding his way. It not his fault Westwood is frozen out. Also consider that he played in a caldron if a game where Leeds were allowed to kick the 5h1t out of us then you can understand his nerves. 

FFS! Why do some of our fans need a fvvcking whipping boy!  

• Thanks 1

Despite his obvious shortcomings at the moment I'm more than happy to stick with him & work with the positives, if he continues in goal and all the young players in the team progress, in 2/3 years we could have a largely young home grown team that we are really proud of.

Carlos's remit was to punch for promotion within 3 seasons & tried to buy accordingly, Jos's remit looks like it is to stabilise the club & build long term. 

For some, his greatest crime appears to be not being Westwood. 

Yes, he wasn't at his best on Friday, but some of the criticism levelled at him is not based on fact or having watched the game. 

Predictably, it is often those who call for young players to be included who then turn on them first should they have a poor game. 

3 hours ago, markowl said:

I don't recall him fumbling one shot.

It's his MO to take everything to the extreme. 

Dawson can't just have had a bad game; it has to be that he lost all ability to function as a goalkeeper and was incapable of making the most basic of saves. This completely misses the fact that he made a number of standard to good saves throughout the 90 minutes. 

2 hours ago, markowl said:

Unfortunately some of our "supporters" can't let a game go by without moaning or finding a scapegoat.

It’s not about finding a scapegoat, it’s about analysing and reviewing a game of football you’ve watched 

I don’t know why some on here are so against criticism to our players. You watch a game, you critique it, that’s life. If he has a bad game then I’ll comment on what I’ve seen 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It’s not about finding a scapegoat, it’s about analysing and reviewing a game of football you’ve watched 

I don’t know why some on here are so against criticism to our players. You watch a game, you critique it, that’s life. If he has a bad game then I’ll comment on what I’ve seen 

^^^^^^^^^^^

This is true.

But reading through this thread some of the posters appear to be criticising him just because he's not Westwood, which then is making him a scapegoat.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Beat me to it. Had we nicked it 2-1 late on I’d have been ecstatic.

I’d still have the same concerns with some performances though.