Dawson

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

There will be plenty of posters on here that have had a heck of a lot of quality coaching and possibly done some themselves.

Like you say though the average Joe football fan sticks out like a sore thumb at times, especially with goalkeepers.

I think most pundits don’t convert themselves on glory when it comes to keepers too. They talk absolute testicles.

Everyone comments on things they are not experts in. Be a dull life if people just talked about what they were experts in. 

Just now, modboy said:

Everyone comments on things they are not experts in. Be a dull life if people just talked about what they were experts in. 

Agreed.

I hate the phrase opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, but it’s true.

The problem I have nowadays and it’s in all life, if anything football it bothers me the least. Everyone thinks their opinions is right and won’t stand to have a discussion and be corrected and admit if they are wrong. 

We all have a platform now where we believe everyone has to listen and if you disagree you’re wrong. 

I think its when average Joe thinks his opinion on something is as valid as an expert or someone who has put in time and effort to research. 

If I have an opinion on something I’m not well versed in I’m happy to be proven wrong and have debate. It’s How we learn and educate ourselves. 

1 minute ago, Watson said:

No problem with people expressing an opinion but its when it comes across that they are an authority on the subject.

Yeah...but that could be leveled at an awful lot of people and their criticism. 

Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge etc. 

Re my post above. That’s why constructive criticism is great.

Young players should improve with it. I’m sure management and coaches will be addressing all young players weaknesses. 

I’ll be the first to admit that criticism might not be that helpful. My criticism of players like Palmer for example isn’t really constructive anymore. That’s because I really don’t rate him and didn’t improve on the things I hoped he would over several years. That being said he’s looked better odd game I’ve seen this season.

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

Re my post above. That’s why constructive criticism is great.

Young players should improve with it. I’m sure management and coaches will be addressing all young players weaknesses. 

I’ll be the first to admit that criticism might not be that helpful. My criticism of players like Palmer for example isn’t really constructive anymore. That’s because I really don’t rate him and didn’t improve on the things I hoped he would over several years. That being said he’s looked better odd game I’ve seen this season.

I doubt that any player has improved by reading criticism from fans.  Constructive or not, they get better by experience and learning from their peers.   

There’s no hiding place for a keeper so any mistakes/flaws get highlighted more. If he was going to continue with a young keeper this season maybe it was better that he went with Wildsmith as he gained a lot of experience last season and may have arguably been better for that this time around.

The Dawson call is a big one and I think it’ll be one that goes a long way to defining our season.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Just now, Watson said:

I doubt that any player has improved by reading criticism from fans.  Constructive or not, they get better by experience and learning from their peers.   

Thats why I added the management and coaches line as I thought someone would say this lol

Shall I just clap on here instead? Or I could just say x player had a poo game and not back it up with why. 

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

Thats why I added the management and coaches line as I thought someone would say this lol

Shall I just clap on here instead? Or I could just say x player had a poo game and not back it up with why. 

You can say whatever you wish, but just like myself, you are ignorant in the ways of a professional footballer (I presume) and our opinion carries very little weight. 

11 minutes ago, Watson said:

You can say whatever you wish, but just like myself, you are ignorant in the ways of a professional footballer (I presume) and our opinion carries very little weight. 

You would be right about professional level. However I played 15-20 hours a week from age 5-18. About 4 of which coached. About 3 hours game time. The rest luckily enough to live next to a park where me and friends played daily. Watched whatever football was on tv and had season ticket for years.

Played academy level 8 years and semi pro until I had to stop due to injury. I was lucky enough to be around those in professional football (coaches, scouts etc) who gave you advice and trained us and gave players a big insight into the professional game. I also have a small amount of youth coaching myself. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

You would be right about professional level. However I played 15-20 hours a week from age 5-18. About 4 of which coached. About 3 hours game time. The rest luckily enough to live next to a park where me and friends played daily. Watched whatever football was on tv and had season ticket for years.

Played academy level 8 years and semi pro until I had to stop due to injury. I was lucky enough to be around those in professional football (coaches, scouts etc) who gave you advice and trained us and gave players a big insight into the professional game. I also have a small amount of youth coaching myself. 

I would then say your opinion carries more weight than my own.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:00, jonesy87shef said:

Inhave nothing agasit Dawson, but I’d take a lot of goalkeeping stats with a pinch of salt. So many different factors. Like the number of shots faced and the quality of them for example. 

Certain stats dont paint paint a full picture. Jorginho got the most passes in a prem game for Chelsea vs West Ham I believe the other day. He was poor, gave it away loads and went sideways far too often. Criticised rightfully so by pundits during the game and yet had his arse licked after because of stats.

A lot to be said about this.

There are more factors to being a goalkeeper than simply making saves.     

What Westwood has given us that neither Dawson or Wildsmith currently do:-

1) the urgency - I have seen Westwood start attacks by quick distribution, either by throw or kick.   Dawson and Wildsmith currently don't do this.

2) The voice.  Both Wildsmith and Dawson need to develop this and engage the defense to give instruction.
3) Bloody mindedness.  If you commit, you commit - you either get it right or you don't, but if you are in two minds - you will fail every time.
4) Influence - this is in part most of the above, but if you ooze calmness and have a commanding voice, those around you will feel confident.

I have non clue what has gone off with Westwood, so I will not comment on that.    Nor if he should be selected.   I also think Dawson had a poor game and Wildsmith should be considered for selection next up based on that.

I do think both Wildsmith and Dawson whilst yes - they are good and are showing promise, need to be a bit more arrogant on the pitch and looking at a player like Westwood could improve their overall game.    

Westwood is not the best at goal kicks.   But both these kids are worse than him at that - that needs to be addressed too.   None will ever be as good as Pressman for instance who always seemed to find Brights head, and later Booths head - but they do need to improve and at least consistently get it over the half way line at very least!!