Dawson

52 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It’s not about finding a scapegoat, it’s about analysing and reviewing a game of football you’ve watched 

I don’t know why some on here are so against criticism to our players. You watch a game, you critique it, that’s life. If he has a bad game then I’ll comment on what I’ve seen 

How many shots did he fumble?

It must have been a lot if you were worried about him fumbling basic shots.

11 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

For me the issue is quite simple, in that Dawson whilst young is still continuing to make the same mistakes game after game.

On Friday, the two instances in the first half involving Baker and Joey should have been sorted by Dawson communicating to both players, the need not to play the ball. Add to that his flapping at a couple of crosses, and on two occasions being rooted to the spot on corners, when he could and should have come to claim the ball, give me the impression that he is still quiet nieve.

I am sure he will get better, but genuinely, he does not inspire me with confidence. His kicking and general distribution need a lot of work, but most importantly of all, when he does make a save, he needs to get the hell up straight away and look for quick opportunities to progress play, instead of lying on the floor for ten seconds allowing the opposition to get back into position.

Many on here cite our league position that somehow correlates to Dawson being a big part of it. He has made a number of saves, but equally it is fair to say that his positioning and anticipation have also directly contributed to conceeding, over and above the defensive play of those in front of him.

Very accurate assessment

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Shame Dawson wasn’t in the net in the playoff final, he’d have been closer to his line and he’d have easily have saved Diames shot

:manager:

Or the bouncing day massacre when Westwood decided to stand behind the wall for the pigs' first goal...

2 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Beat me to it. Had we nicked it 2-1 late on I’d have been ecstatic.

I’d still have the same concerns with some performances though.

Some on here pretend they like a player just because they don’t wanna criticise or they wanna be different, it’s strange. Encourage and support of course but when you see faults you shouldn’t be afraid of voicing them 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Some on here pretend they like a player just because they don’t wanna criticise or they wanna be different, it’s strange. Encourage and support of course but when you see faults you shouldn’t be afraid of voicing them 

Yeah, but there's a difference between constructive criticism and overblown nonsense. 

I don't see how claiming that Dawson was going to fumble ever "daisy cutter" is encouraging or supporting. 

In fact - I'd suggest it is the polar opposite. 

It won’t worry him at all, best to be in the first team being castigated by a few thousand, than being ignored in the U23’s by a few hundred. He’s a Sheffield lad from a family of Owls, he is well aware of the fickle treatment that new young academy players receive from the football aficionados, he’s got a good head on his shoulders, I’m backing him to prove the dissenters wrong and the manager sticking with him.:luhukay:

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

It’s not about finding a scapegoat, it’s about analysing and reviewing a game of football you’ve watched 

I don’t know why some on here are so against criticism to our players. You watch a game, you critique it, that’s life. If he has a bad game then I’ll comment on what I’ve seen 

For some you must never critisice anything about the club, however balanced. Why many old posters imo just don't bother in here anymore. 

23 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

If you have the experience and the credentials to voice an opinion then fair enough but an average fan has little in the way of offering advice to a professional footballer.  I can't imagine any professional footballer worth his salt taking advice from the average football fan.  

29 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, but there's a difference between constructive criticism and overblown nonsense. 

I don't see how claiming that Dawson was going to fumble ever "daisy cutter" is encouraging or supporting. 

In fact - I'd suggest it is the polar opposite. 

Thats the thing though. Those kind of posts are in the minority. Maybe a couple.

Then the majority of people who defend label everyone as talking rubbish or being overly critical. In reality all season most have said he will improve, it might be a bit early for him but will support him. Whilst pointing out things he can improve on. I’d say the justified criticism hasn’t been much nicer about Dawson than it has dozens of others in the past. 

You’ve used one outlandish quote that is obv rubbish. Numerous people like me who have pointed out he had a poor game actually complimented how well he gets down to those and wasn’t fumbling them, but instead it was crosses, organisation and command of his area that were his weaknesses for this particular game.

• Thanks 1

Also @SiJ I could be wrong but I’m getting a huge sense of de ja vu. I’m sure I’ve had this discussion with yourself (possibly others) before

You’ve picked out, what I’m sorry to say is one idiotic comment from a poster to prove your point. 

Twitter you’ll find many more like it, but on here since he got the number 1 jersey the majority of criticism has been valid or constructive with the emphasis that he’s young, will learn, needs to get experience.

There’s very little ‘overblown nonsense’ as you put it. 

3 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Thats the thing though. Those kind of posts are in the minority. Maybe a couple.

Then the majority of people who defend label everyone as talking rubbish or being overly critical. In reality all season most have said he will improve, it might be a bit early for him but will support him. Whilst pointing out things he can improve on. I’d say the justified criticism hasn’t been much nicer about Dawson than it has dozens of others in the past. 

You’ve used one outlandish quote that is obv rubbish. Numerous people like me who have pointed out he had a poor game actually complimented how well he gets down to those and wasn’t fumbling them, but instead it was crosses, organisation and command of his area that were his weaknesses for this particular game.

That was kind of my point. 

There was much from his performance on Friday that needs improving (everything you've listed I agree on), but basic shot-stopping was certainly not one of them. 

11 minutes ago, Watson said:

If you have the experience and the credentials to voice an opinion then fair enough but an average fan has little in the way of offering advice to a professional footballer.  I can't imagine any professional footballer worth his salt taking advice from the average football fan.  

There will be plenty of posters on here that have had a heck of a lot of quality coaching and possibly done some themselves.

Like you say though the average Joe football fan sticks out like a sore thumb at times, especially with goalkeepers.

I think most pundits don’t convert themselves on glory when it comes to keepers too. They talk absolute testicles.

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

Also @SiJ I could be wrong but I’m getting a huge sense of de ja vu. I’m sure I’ve had this discussion with yourself (possibly others) before

You’ve picked out, what I’m sorry to say is one idiotic comment from a poster to prove your point. 

Twitter you’ll find many more like it, but on here since he got the number 1 jersey the majority of criticism has been valid or constructive with the emphasis that he’s young, will learn, needs to get experience.

There’s very little ‘overblown nonsense’ as you put it. 

You are taking my criticism of one point (an invalid one) and using it as a smear against everyone who has been critical of Dawson.