Hammoud, Borukov, Lonchar

I love positive threads like this very grateful for people who post stuff - Hope I get to see a lot more of them breaking through  fantastic things have been happening virtually all the different youth teams are doing well hopefully throwing up stars of the future I need to get up and see more of their games 

after the 90s when we got hamstrung with ageing injury prone useless players that nobody wants on big money  always been a wish of mine to grow our own team  and hopefully keep the best *cough hirst 

That scummy outfit down the road have been far more successful at producing several young players  It's great to be doing the same 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

The embargo situation has forced our hand on young players. I think DC would’ve continued to buy experienced players otherwise. I don’t think it’s just down to Jos and CC being different although Jos has a track record of working with younger players.

Old quote from the film the untouchables when Sean connery says to Costner. "if your afraid of getting a bad apple, go pick one straight from the tree". 

Maybe jos likes to use the younger players as they cause less disruption, have generally less egos and are easier to teach how he wants to play. 

Another old comment "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" which is maybe why the likes of Boyd, Jones & Abdi even if fit aren't getting a game?? 

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

I love positive threads like this very grateful for people who post stuff - Hope I get to see a lot more of them breaking through  fantastic things have been happening virtually all the different youth teams are doing well hopefully throwing up stars of the future I need to get up and see more of their games 

after the 90s when we got hamstrung with ageing injury prone useless players that nobody wants on big money  always been a wish of mine to grow our own team  and hopefully keep the best *cough hirst 

That scummy outfit down the road have been far more successful at producing several young players  It's great to be doing the same 

Indeed, the frustrating thing these days is that you can grow a team like we did when we had spied, Beevers, Wood, mcallister etc but if they are really good players you can’t refuse the money for them (unless we go up of course).

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

Old quote from the film the untouchables when Sean connery says to Costner. "if your afraid of getting a bad apple, go pick one straight from the tree". 

Maybe jos likes to use the younger players as they cause less disruption, have generally less egos and are easier to teach how he wants to play. 

Another old comment "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" which is maybe why the likes of Boyd, Jones & Abdi even if fit aren't getting a game?? 

I think it’s more a case of it being clear last season we really needed fresh faces and in particular some energy and that comes with reducing the age of the squad. We had interest in the likes of Honeyman, Baldwin in the summer in order to achieve this whilst also benefitting from some experience but under the circumstances it’s been an ideal chance for our younger players to get their chance.

15 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

Which one of our kids was touted as Bulgarians next big thing when we signed him, Gavrilov? 

I think it was Hammood he was 15 and made his debut, being looked at by Big Big clubs and is a small tricky number 10. If we handle him right fingers x we have the Bulgarian Messi !!!

What has happened to Gavrilov, is he still with us ? And does anyone know if we still have links in Bulgaria ?

14 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Good that players are being brought through. Shudder to think of the wasted talent that would be doing nothing at the club or had gone elsewhere if CC was in charge still.

Hate to burst that bubble, but weren't most of the current crop of U23s signed up on contracts (either from our academy or from other clubs) under Carlos? Nielsen, Thorniley, Penny, Preston, Baker, Dawson, Borukov, Lonchar and Hammoud were I'm pretty sure.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Carlos bashing eh? 

:manager:

Edited by Minton

14 minutes ago, Minton said:

Hate to burst that bubble, but weren't most of the current crop of U23s signed up on contracts (either from our academy or from other clubs) under Carlos? Nielsen, Thorniley, Penny, Preston, Baker, Dawson, Borukov, Lonchar and Hammoud were I'm pretty sure.

Like Carlos had anything to do with signing them, or giving them pro deals. He only decided never to use any of them, apart from Wildsmith.

25 minutes ago, Minton said:

Not Carlos bashing but I wouldn't have thought he had anything to do with U23's contracts, although it may well have been his decision not to utilise them in the 1st team.

I would have thought it would be recommendations from academy coaches to the commercial administration side of the club that decided the signings.

37 minutes ago, Minton said:

He had nothing to do with Academy signings. It was down to Ramsdale, Thompson and Haslam and another gentleman can not remember name of. Trying to give him credit for this is scraping the barrel for an excuse for a poor manager.

4 hours ago, Quist said:

He had nothing to do with Academy signings. It was down to Ramsdale, Thompson and Haslam and another gentleman can not remember name of. Trying to give him credit for this is scraping the barrel for an excuse for a poor manager.

Should the man that 'builds football clubs, it what he does', get a slice of the appreciation pie?