BREAKING: Sheffield Wednesday agree BBC commentary deal

I'd be amazed if the club has accepted the original offer as in the Thai culture its all about saving face. Speaking to people who do business in that part of the world negotiations can be very long-winded because of it. My guess is that the BBC reduced fees paid by 10%(?) and after negotiations, an agreement has been reached somewhere in the middle, 5%(?) reduction.

Just now, darra said:

I'd be amazed if the club has accepted the original offer as in the Thai culture its all about saving face. Speaking to people who do business in that part of the world negotiations can be very long-winded because of it. My guess is that the BBC reduced fees paid by 10%(?) and after negotiations, an agreement has been reached somewhere in the middle, 5%(?) reduction.

10% reduction

Further reduced pro rata for not being for the whole season.

Can't get R S but would happily pay for iFollow if I could. No going around the sheds usually when we're in an attacking position anymore plus not having to listen to Giddings amongst others  not giving a crap about us winning and revelling in us losing

• Like 1

Some people still read the morning star and want to ralley against the big man and the principle.

But when you actually think about how many people will benefit and how it does wonders for Wednesday in the community it's quite a big gesture for the relatively small price paid.  

For me it's a no brainer.  You just don't cut the wednesday community off and charge them for simple commentary.  For the old, handicapped, people who have had a dip in their income and people who can't get (seemingly more elusive) away tickets they can feel part of the club by cheering our team on and shout at the radio.  People even listen out to find out how loud our fans are.

Sure the world will move on eventually but why alienate such a large part of the fanbase.

We could just look out for the final score but wheres the fun in that and you don't get anything like a full picture.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are being paid the same as we were last year, with a reduction pro-rata for the games that were missed, which was negotiated as 2, with the Sunderland game not counting towards it and another which was argued that we wouldn't have been the FM game(?). It s convuluted and complex apparently, but we are no worse off than last year, except for 2 games.

And don't get me started on the beeb; to say they are a service, the fact that they reduced funds being paid to EFL to support increase in prem payments is against just about everything that the BBC's constitution stands for

• Like 2

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

People thinking we'll be getting more money out of this now lol like we're some kind of 'hot contract' to tie down. 

Admit it. Chansiri made a stupid decision with the fans being the last thing on his mind. Now he's accepted his mistakes but will never apologise for it he'll just make it sound like we've got a better deal. 4.3k was the original price remember. Dave Jones salary for the day. 

You're way out pal - its more than 10 times that

The figure you've quoted is near enough the difference between last years payment and this years. ie the reduction

BBC Sheffield have a budget which is paid to the clubs pro-rata based on average attendances. Wednesday and United get the same amount. (Which is why we havent negotiated more - because it would pee United off and why would you do that to a party that has worked with you without having all this crap)

The big win is that the BBC have lost the exclusivity that they had previously insisted on. So no more having to put up with going round the grounds and to goals in other games which meant you only ever got commentary of half the game even when listening on iFollow 

Edited by simpark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Yer miserable old twonk:mad:

Yes, and? What's your point?

Tell you what, I'm a lot less miserable than I would have been if I'd paid for a years subscription that I now don't need because the club have climbed down from an already questionable decision, leaving me out of pocket again as a result of this clubs "business" strategy.