BREAKING: Sheffield Wednesday agree BBC commentary deal

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/sheffield-wednesday-and-the-bbc-reach-agreement/

Sheffield Wednesday and the BBC reach agreement

Just now

Large

Sheffield Wednesday and the BBC are pleased to announce that agreement has been reached which will see Radio Sheffield resume live commentary on the Owls’ away fixtures alongside the SWFC-dedicated iFollow service.

Talks remained ongoing between the Owls and the BBC following the start of the new season and a deal to the satisfaction of both parties is now in place.

Agreement has also been reached following feedback from Wednesday supporters since the expiry of the previous contract earlier this summer.

Consequently, Radio Sheffield will return to broadcast live commentary on the Owls’ away games from Wednesday 19 September when Jos Luhukay’s men travel to Nottingham Forest in the Championship.

The Owls’ bespoke live commentary service iFollow Wednesday, upgraded this season to cover away games to match the club’s exclusive home offering, remains in place moving forward.

The show has already proved hugely popular with subscribers old and new as commentary duo Rob O’Neill and John Pearson - supplemented by talkSport’s Jack Woodward - follow the Owls in S6 and around the country.

The club would like to thank the BBC for the professional manner in which the organisation has conducted negotiations through a testing time and we look forward to resuming our partnership.

Edited by פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Chansiri played a blinder.

Will have got a lot more cash with people buying iFollow, and now we'll have the BBC boost which lets be honest won't be the pittance they originally offered.

Lot of people on here owe him an apology for that one.

"Deal".

Right.

There's absolutely no chance the BBC will have come to us with the begging bowl to offer us more money than any of the other clubs. So at best we've got the same deal, but also potentially less.

How does the iFollow work payment wise? Has anyone paid an annual sub for this on the basis of not having Radio Sheffield?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

"Deal".

Right.

There's absolutely no chance the BBC will have come to us with the begging bowl to offer us more money than any of the other clubs. So at best we've got the same deal, but also potentially less.

How does the iFollow work payment wise? Has anyone paid an annual sub for this on the basis of not having Radio Sheffield?

I paid for the month, just to see how it is

Might pay again if there's midweek away games I can watch on my laptop

Can't wait to hear Giddings mumbling and sounded disappointment when we score

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

8 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I know someone who has, yeah.

He'll be a bit annoyed to have spent that money on something he never really wanted, only to have the free option he'd used for years reinstated a month later!

12 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Obviously happy for those not tech able to use iFollow. But...Really hope that doesn't mean that they'll go back to doing all that around the grounds and EPL spoilers crap when I'm watching the live video on iFollow.

The BBC propaganda release states that they will now provide "exclusive live commentary for all away games and selective home games"  :mad:

I'd say the iFollow audio commentary, although problematic to begin with, has been near flawless for the past four games

Whereas the BBC Sheffield commentaries I've been able to hear (last season's cup games) were appalling by comparison

Naturally, I'm hoping the iFollow service continues as is, unaffected by this news, but then the BBC deal wouldn't be exclusive, would it?

Forest away will reveal all, I guess