BREAKING: Sheffield Wednesday agree BBC commentary deal

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I got it wrong originally I assumed that it would all come under the thumb of the controller of local radio nationally but that’s not the case 

The fees come from each individual local stations budget so with 6 clubs to service as it were Radio Sheffield are disadvantaged but feel that sport is such a major part of the station they choose to continue the investment despite cuts in budget to local Radio 

8 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

They aren’t 

I was told Wednesday fees are very expensive and as it stands Ifollow apart no one else wants them so this is easily the best solution

Thanks Mick

Lets be honest this was a PR disaster but in 99% of businesses you would have done what Chansiri did as its basic negotiation.

We are the biggest sports club in the region; I'd imagine sport brings in more listeners than most other shows and as a result you'd think we'd have the power in the deal.

Unfortunately what Chansiri didn't realise is that this isn't a normal business; fans aren't customers and are wildly emotional about any decision made.

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

"Deal".

Right.

There's absolutely no chance the BBC will have come to us with the begging bowl to offer us more money than any of the other clubs. So at best we've got the same deal, but also potentially less.

How does the iFollow work payment wise? Has anyone paid an annual sub for this on the basis of not having Radio Sheffield?

Yer miserable old twonk:mad:

• Haha 1

I bought my mum the audio package for the season when it was announced we wouldn't be on the radio this season. 

She doesn't get to the matches and she's been really happy with it, she's really enjoying being able to listen to the home matches which is something she couldn't do on the radio.

Even though a new deal has been struck with the BBC I'll still happily renew this for her next season, extra money for the club and my mum gets all the home and away matches.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

People thinking we'll be getting more money out of this now lol like we're some kind of 'hot contract' to tie down. 

Admit it. Chansiri made a stupid decision with the fans being the last thing on his mind. Now he's accepted his mistakes but will never apologise for it he'll just make it sound like we've got a better deal. 4.3k was the original price remember. Dave Jones salary for the day. 

• Haha 1

So. All the fans who complain so much about Sky taking over football. and the huge amounts they are pouring into Premiership, which affects the Championship by the parachute payments relegated cubs have to spend, are quite happy for us to cheerfully accept a REDUCTION in the amount that the mighty BBC is prepared to pay clubs, and ARE HAPPY ABOUT IT.. This from townships who fought the Governments of the day, and the Leaders of the Industries to the bitter end! I thought that Chansiri was correct when standing up to the Bosses of broadcasting. It seems as though I was wrong. What happens next year, when the Beeb reduce further the cost of broadcasting payments , which it certainly will? 

Still. It won't concern us, will it? We shall be in the moneyed halls of the Gods.

3 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

So. All the fans who complain so much about Sky taking over football. and the huge amounts they are pouring into Premiership, which affects the Championship by the parachute payments relegated cubs have to spend, are quite happy for us to cheerfully accept a REDUCTION in the amount that the mighty BBC is prepared to pay clubs, and ARE HAPPY ABOUT IT.. This from townships who fought the Governments of the day, and the Leaders of the Industries to the bitter end! I thought that Chansiri was correct when standing up to the Bosses of broadcasting. It seems as though I was wrong. What happens next year, when the Beeb reduce further the cost of broadcasting payments , which it certainly will? 

Still. It won't concern us, will it? We shall be in the moneyed halls of the Gods.

£4,300. 

7 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

What you rabbiting on about? 

Do you actually realise the figures we're talking about?

You're making yourself look silly ranting on about this when the figures involved are tiny compared to the PR disaster this whole thing has been.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What you rabbiting on about? 

Do you actually realise the figures we're talking about?

You're making yourself look silly ranting on about this when the figures involved are tiny compared to the PR disaster this whole thing has been.

There's a principal at stake here, not all about money

:carlos:

Just playing devils advocate, I just wondered how much a commercial radio station, if there was one, would pay to cover our matches. I can never understand how the BBC manage to balance their books, Gary Lineker’s salary comes to mind. I appreciate that they sell programs to other companies on top of the licence fees, but am amazed that they never appear to get into financial difficulties.

3 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

"Deal".

Right.

There's absolutely no chance the BBC will have come to us with the begging bowl to offer us more money than any of the other clubs. So at best we've got the same deal, but also potentially less.

How does the iFollow work payment wise? Has anyone paid an annual sub for this on the basis of not having Radio Sheffield?

Yes, I would be very surprised indeed if the BBC has offered the club a bespoke deal. And in this instance, I have relevant first-hand knowledge.

Edited by WC1Owl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Just playing devils advocate, I just wondered how much a commercial radio station, if there was one, would pay to cover our matches. I can never understand how the BBC manage to balance their books, Gary Lineker’s salary comes to mind. I appreciate that they sell programs to other companies on top of the licence fees, but am amazed that they never appear to get into financial difficulties.

The BBC's accounts are published. You could have a look.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I bought my mum the audio package for the season when it was announced we wouldn't be on the radio this season. 

She doesn't get to the matches and she's been really happy with it, she's really enjoying being able to listen to the home matches which is something she couldn't do on the radio.

Even though a new deal has been struck with the BBC I'll still happily renew this for her next season, extra money for the club and my mum gets all the home and away matches.

That’s the best use of Ifollow I think mate 

personally ill cancel even though I struggle for an FM signal RS is still better than Ifollow for the away games 

6 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

The BBC's accounts are published. You could have a look.

I was a director of a company up to 2010, and could never make head nor tail of Grant Thornton’s accounts summary, I often thought that they had submitted someone else’s in error, talk about mp’s statements being difficult to understand. :wacko:

Just now, optimisticowl said:

I was a director of a company up to 2010, and could never make head nor tail of Grant Thornton’s accounts summary, I often thought that they had submitted someone else’s in error, talk about mp’s statements being difficult to understand. :wacko:

Fair point! But the BBC's annual report is intended for public consumption so there are simple summaries.

But the key thing is that the BBC is not really allowed to get into debt. So it has to pay its way through the licence fee and commercial income.

1. The BBC do not pay every club the same and they have never claimed this. They asked each club to reduce their contract by 10%. This does not suggest every club gets paid the same.  How do we know this. A few years ago Barnsley reject a BBC deal and they were not on the radio either. The reason was the amount the BBC pays other clubs in the area (obviously us) in relation to them. 

2. The BBC has just increased what they pay for the MOTD by a good 100m - so they can get FCUKED! 

3. It wasn't a good move, it affects a lot of our fans. However, they cannot expect us to pay for better players to which increase their figures and pay us less. 

4. Sod the BBC!!! Sometimes in business you need to stand up to people. There are always consequences but you will win in the end. 

I have no doubt the BBC are paying the same as last year for DC to accept. Its not about money its about stopping the rot. Every other sports company are increasing their payments and the BBC want to reduce it!! pet shop the BBC   

• Like 1