BREAKING: Sheffield Wednesday agree BBC commentary deal

The original argument was over the tiniest of amounts of money

In fact I bet it would cost more to send Rob ONeill and John Pearson to all the away games to do the commentary than the amount argued over 

All this ‘future of broadcasting’ people were spouting previously and all the ‘other clubs will follow our example’ etc - what’s their thoughts today that the club have backed down from this mad decision and gone back to Radio Sheffield?

Here is what SWFC said when they announced they weren’t renewing the deal..

The club has been told by the BBC of our extremely healthy audience figures and when aligned with our media profile that has grown hugely in recent years, we do not believe a reduction in terms is appropriate.

This, combined with regular subscriber feedback, has now afforded the Owls the opportunity to launch a brand new strand of our iFollow service for the club’s away games and match those at Hillsborough.

Sheffield Wednesday are one of the most successful clubs on the EFL Digital platform, with our exposure at an all-time high and we firmly believe this development represents an exciting opportunity to take our iFollow product to the next level.

We also believe that should our model succeed, EFL peers may seek a similar route in the future.

(that model lasted less than a month before this new renewal deal was announced this morning)

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The original argument was over the tiniest of amounts of money

In fact I bet it would cost more to send Rob ONeill and John Pearson to all the away games to do the commentary than the amount argued over 

All this ‘future of broadcasting’ people were spouting previously and all the ‘other clubs will follow our example’ etc - what’s their thoughts today that the club have backed down from this mad decision and gone back to Radio Sheffield?

Have they backed down or have they negotiated a fee they are happy with?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Obviously happy for those not tech able to use iFollow. But...Really hope that doesn't mean that they'll go back to doing all that around the grounds and EPL spoilers crap when I'm watching the live video on iFollow.

As I read it Rob and John will continue on Ifollow along side R S.

Either way good to see common sense prevailed

no more moaning from me on this u-turn from this disastrous PR episode and big thank you to SWFC for seeing sense 

It's made those who were all 'good for us for standing up to the BBC' idiots look VERY silly this morning after defending the original idea to screw over our own fans by not working with Radio Sheffield anymore. 

All I will say as a final note is to Mr Chansiri - can you please PLEASE PLEASE stop making decisions that create a mess, create headline news, then we have to go and reverse decisions, clean messes up and then create more headline news about the decisions being reversed? It's such a total waste of energy, and loses the goodwill and patience of the fans. 

We need 100% positive PR right now - not stories of us wading through a mess of our own creating.

PS - can recommend I-Follow to any fans who can afford it - it's really decent!

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

33 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Chansiri played a blinder.

img_1625.jpg?w=240&zoom=2

Will people who reluctantly forked out to subscribe to I-Follow as it was the only way of listening to their team play be entitled to cancel it and get a refund? Those who paid the annual sub obviously,  I know there was a monthly option too. 

I don't have it so it doesn't affect me, just wondered.