Shefki Kuqi

Id not seen much before 00/01 and he was one of the players that tried in dire circumstance. Will always remember the celebration and was my favorite player whilst he was here. Even have his name on my SWFC mug because I have skewed childhood memories.  

Didn't he do brilliantly at Ipswich helping them in play-offs after leaving us?

He also somehow got a move to Newcastle and played in the PL. 

What is he doing now? Last I heard managing in Finland. 

3 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Completely different players. I remember Yorath saying Kuki had a head bigger than a television set. Kuki had played in the Champions League before he turned up in S6. God knows how. (playing football in Finland was probably a help) 

Kuki couldn't hit a barn door at Hillsborough, but he'd run and run and run and run and run. Had more pace than Nuhiu. Less strength. Less skill on the ball. Kuki would get more chances in front of goal than Nuhiu, but his chance conversion in front of goal makes Nuhiu look like the old fat Ronaldo, before he became obese. 

Agreed. I think he wore spoons for boots, such was his conversion rate. I recall he missed some sitters.

He would have teamed up well with Nuhiu nobody would have a clue what was gonna happen next. 

Another in a long line Wednesday players who gave 100% but short of the quality required.  Can't knock him as he applied himself fully to his limits and he scored a few goals, very brave as well if I remember rightly put his head in where many wouldn't. 

23 minutes ago, Palmerdidwellwilson said:

Fighting with sibon to take penalty v Wolves. After much handbags kuqi took the shittest penalty ever and we got beat 2-3 i recall.

Drew 2-2, it would have been first time we'd have beaten them at home since 1965. Took us a good few years after that to do it.

At time it was rumored that we paid Stockport 1m to get him to S6

I remember that penalty fiasco when he took ball from Sibon (against manager's wishes) and missed.

Wasn't he Championship/First division's top scorer after we sold him to Ipswich ?

Owner of the best goal celebration ever.

Remember listening to Radio Sheffield to hear if he had signed or not. I think we were after Chris Greenacre too but couldn't get him to sign.

Was a decent player for us considering the dross he had around him. Was never a 20 goal a season man, more of a Nuhiu type but better in the air.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

9 hours ago, tarn owl said:

New years day, 12pm kick off, Millmoor, Under Turner, we were rubbish, Rotherham were good, i felt rough, stood all the way singing 'jingle bells', Kuqi scored, Wednesday won 3-1, brilliant day.

Also remember him being sent off by THE WORST REFEREE EVER, YES WORSE THAN SWARPRICK Mr T Kettle. 2nd yellow for diving. Shocking.

I also remember being sat in the kop while the team warmed up, All the players were jogging back into the dressing room, Kuqi spotted a stray ball in the box about 10 yards out and went to go smash it in the net for a bit of confidence and to tidy up, he proceeded to sky the ball into the stands about 5 rows in front of me, i was in row 25 if my memory serves me right. I knew it wasn't going to be a good day after that.

I liked him, was technically rubbish, but worked his socks off. Good memories (in a weird i need therapy way)

Wasn't as bad as his sending off against Oldham in league one in a match refereed by a Mr R Beeby - he was dreadful in that match

I think he just laughed it off as to how ridiculous the decision to send him off was. It resulted in him missing the Wycombe game which we won 2-1

I've rarely seen a striker miss so many one on ones than Kuqi did whilst at Hillsborough. When he was banging the goals in for Ipswich, I had to double check it was the same striker.

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember how solid his chest was?

Massive barrel chested guy

He had fantastic chest control - unfortunately he wasn't always able to do anything productive with the ball once he had controlled it.