Jos trimming the squad

4 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

All we need now are teams who would like to buy some dead wood. Not too easy if you want to get some decent money off them.

Bolton are desperate, shame they have no money...as is the case with most of the Championship, lots of teams needing to sell before buying and trying to reduce wage costs which means shifting most of the 'dead wood' we have on big wages is next to impossible without taking a financial hit.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Bolton are desperate, shame they have no money...as is the case with most of the Championship, lots of teams needing to sell before buying and trying to reduce wage costs which means shifting most of the 'dead wood' we have on big wages is next to impossible without taking a financial hit.

It's mad all this innit

Fans being convinced by chairmen that it's essential that ticket prices are so high
Ticket prices being raised and raised
Replica shirt prices being raised and raised
A new breed of uberfan created who defend the price rises of both tickets and shirts
Chairman desperate to offload players as they've spent too much and are breaching FFP or are at risk of it

Fans shovelling in more and more of their income to football clubs who are all overspending wildly and not succeeding with this strategy
Because they don't succeed by mad spending they want to spend more so plead with fans to shovel more and more cash in
Meanwhile players and agents just sit back and watch the £££ rolling in as the chairmen scream at the fans to shovel more and more money in

lol

It's bonkers

Owlstalk Shop

I think this season is going to be one of consolidation unfortunately, Jos and DC will be trimming the squad as much as possible without being in dander of relegation, and making do until we can offload many of the players who are undesirable to other teams and out of contract next summer.

That's when the squad restructure will start properly.

31 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's mad all this innit

Fans being convinced by chairmen that it's essential that ticket prices are so high
A new breed of uberfan created who defend the price rises of both tickets and shirts
Chairman desperate to offload players as they've spent too much and are breaching FFP or are at risk of it

Fans shovelling in more and more of their income to football clubs who are all overspending wildly and not succeeding with this strategy
Because they don't succeed by mad spending they want to spend more so plead with fans to shovel more and more cash in
Meanwhile players and agents just sit back and watch the £££ rolling in as the chairmen scream at the fans to shovel more and more money in

lol

It's bonkers

this

It's why years ago I wanted caps introducing on wages but it's too little to late now. Players earning £500,000 a week in china. Absolutely mind boggling. 

£200 million for a player that will probably up for an oscar in the new year. 

£5 million for Gary Madine!!!! World of football has gone flipping bonkers and as you've mentioned the money we spend has gone through the roof. 

6 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Yeah but 22 is a but slim for me.

stick up and coming acadamy products in their too and it wouldn't be too bad as long as injuries and fatigue are monitored correctly and kept to a minimum

Edited by mozzy85

55 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

When I trim down I start with a pair of scissors then use clippers with a comb attachment, so as not to catch me chicken sack. More top tips to be found here later folks.

55 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I'd like to know how he plans to get rid of the trimmings

Who do you mean airborn rat or Jos?:carlosswfc:

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's mad all this innit

lol

It's bonkers

And every time someone says to the chairman about spending some money his excuse is he can't because of FFP, yet there is scope within the rules for him to put more in and also bring in additional sponsorship, advertising and corporate moneys, but due to a pretty poor marketing and PR department we lag behind our near neighbours massively on most of the of field stuff.

Any chance there might be a adult male shirt less than £99 before the season starts this year?

You hope for 2 players in each position currently we don't have that we need a right back, left back, centre back (poss x2) and a right wing.

We need to offload wage wasters in Abdi, Matias, Fletcher and Jones. 

We need to know if Hutch, Lee, Hooper - will be fit for the start of the season or be able to manage at least 30 games a season - if not all 3 need offloading.

Then we also need to decide what is to happen with the goal keepers if Westwood stays then one of Wildsmith or Dawson needs to be loan out for the season, or the good of last season will be wasted on their development, the most obvious place seems to be Rotherham for championship football but close enough that we can keep an eye on him. Other youth players not ready for the first team need loaning out but with stipulation in place that they have to play, the mistakes of Stobbs and Penney last season cannot be allowed to happen this season.

A lot of work to do both off and on the pitch and we have 3 weeks to do it, it would not be Wednesday though if we didn't leave everything to the last minute.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Newspaper reports today saying that Jos is saying that he's going to trim the squad right down

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players," he said.

"Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured," Luhukay said. "I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield."

Now I know many fans have celebrated this point but I'm wondering what the risks are if our players get injured? 

If we trim the squad right down and suffer injuries - what then?

Its good news for me. We have had a bloated squad for too long.

Lets focus on a tight unit of players. 

24/25 is plenty.