Jos trimming the squad

7 hours ago, handworth52 said:

abdi at wingback, now that wont happen in a million years , you have to be the fittest player to play that demanding role ,not the unfit player he has been for 2 years 

I agree mate just somebody mentioned he played there for Watford previously. 

20 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Its good news for me. We have had a bloated squad for too long.

Lets focus on a tight unit of players. 

24/25 is plenty. 

Premier league squads are capped at 25 senior players

17 hours ago, Halifax Owls said:

That's my interpretation also.

In the summer months I have RL to keep me occupied, the team I follow are part-time and spend half the money that other clubs do yet we are 3rd in the league and giving full time teams a beating. Last Sunday we blew away a team that has twice our budget. We've an outstanding coach who believes in promoting youth through the ranks (half the team are born and bred in the town), getting the players super fit and playing some great RL. You can see the players love playing the game and will run through brick walls for each other and the blue and white hoops. Funnily enough the players also don't seem to be picking up the injuries anymore..........no-one absolutely no-one gets carried.

At the Wednesday we've some very good players and if we hold on to our star men (we know who they are) I can see no reason whatsoever why we cant give a good account of ourselves and be there or thereabouts. I can understand why some supporters (including my son) had a bit of a wobble when Jack left but looking at it objectively it made sense and was decent bit of business for a player (taking in to account his stats) with 1 year left on his contract. We've become used to collecting players in a very unsustainable, inefficient and costly way. 

This season I'm (hopefully) looking forward to seeing some much better football and the players playing with a smile and a swagger. More than anything though I want that gut feeling that my club is being run properly and is sustainable. With the help of a supporting Chairman and CEO I hope that Jos is the man to drive this forward, I'm confident he can but sometimes these things can take time.

Good luck to the lads and all the fellow owls heading down to Lincoln tonight.       

UTO

Great post mate 

loving the positivity around how we are running the club atm

A smaller squad sounds like a good idea to me, and speaking from personal experience it’ll take up less of his day going through the rigmarole of right-clicking on each player > Speak About > Warn Player > Criticise Training Level.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, cookeh said:

I think people think 25 is a lot less than it is.

This is a squad of 25:

Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith

Palmer, Baker

Reach, Boyd

Lees, van Aken, Thorniley, Pudil, Fox

Pelupessy, Bannan, Lee, Jones, Abdi, Hutch

Nando, Joao, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Matias, Hooper, Winnall

So we might lose Winnall to sign a centerback (or include Neillsen?).. It's not a cull as people seem to have imagined it is.

Need a rwb, lwb and a cb In addition to that squad.

Get some youngsters out on loan or get rid of Palmer if we get a new rwb, Fox and Abdi!

On 13/07/2018 at 11:23, OxonOwl said:

Yeah but 22 is a but slim for me.

Good managers can do this though, they make smart signings, bring in players like Nando, Reach or his old team mate from boro' forshaw, players capeble of covering a few different positions. 

This also aide's you by allowing you more flexibility and variation in game tactically and with formations if you need to change things. 

Remember big Ron' we never had a huge squad, but we had players who could swap and interchange. Martin O'Neil did the same with villa when he was there as he could shuffle young, downing, milner and agbonlahore around making them awkward to read. 

On 14/07/2018 at 09:18, jonnyowl said:

Need a rwb, lwb and a cb In addition to that squad.

Get some youngsters out on loan or get rid of Palmer if we get a new rwb, Fox and Abdi!

Boyd and Palmer looked 2 of our best players in the game against Lincoln.

2 really good crosses from Palmer, one assisting Nando's goal.

Potential for them to look like new players after a pre-season under Jos.

3 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Boyd looked OK,  Palmer was fine going forward but zero effort running backwards he really needs to sort those fitness issues out.

I don't think fitness is the problem with Palmer in terms of him not running back. It's more concentration, danger awareness or plain lack of application.

He's got an opportunity to make that position his own but unless he improves on what is his major flaw he'll soon find himself warming the bench again.