It’s not really news is it? 

We we have been trimming the squad since the end of last season

Vanancio

Loovens

Wallace

Hunt

Rhodes

All gone.

Thats got to be around 80k a week saved plus Hunts fee and loan fee for Rhodes.

(Not classing Butterfield as we’ve got Winnall back) 

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

I think people think 25 is a lot less than it is.

This is a squad of 25:

Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith

Palmer, Baker

Reach, Boyd

Lees, van Aken, Thorniley, Pudil, Fox

Pelupessy, Bannan, Lee, Jones, Abdi, Hutch

Nando, Joao, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Matias, Hooper, Winnall

So we might lose Winnall to sign a centerback (or include Neillsen?).. It's not a cull as people seem to have imagined it is.

Surely Fox wouldnt make the cut? I really cant see him being good enough this season.

Edited by Woodyowl450

9 minutes ago, Woodyowl450 said:

Surely Fox wouldnt make the cut? I really cant see him being good enough this season.

played a lot games under jos and we havnt signed a left back so he probably he will make the cut …….I know most don't like him but he's a useful squad player in so much as he can play in the centre or on the left .and do a passable job ….he's no wing back though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

How would you know what Jos did and didnt' say?

If he's said it,it'd be in quotes. Nowhere that i've seen has it been a quote that he'd "trim the squad right down".
The closest you'll find is:

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players"

Also, having listened to pretty much every Jos press conference since he became managed "trim the squad right down" is not a phrase he'd use.

18 minutes ago, Woodyowl450 said:

You'd think not. For clarity, i'm not saying that _should_ be our squad..

Just that we could lose basically no one and we've got a 25 man squad.

We don't need a cull to get to around that number.

I'd look to lose a Boyd, Palmer, Fox, Jones, Abdi, Hutch and Winnall. Bring in a right back, left back, center mid and a center back. Then bring in a few of the kids more frequently. Obviously easier to say it than to actually find them all new homes to go to tho.

interesting comments from Jos, surely easier said than done though, especially how it's the biggest earners we want rid of, Katrien Meire needs to work her magic & get a similar deal for the others like she did with Rhodes.

I've made the below list, I know certain players can play numerous positions but this is what I think will be their first choice position based on the 3-4-1-2 we played towards the end of last season

GK

Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson

RWB

Palmer, Baker

LWB 

Reach, Boyd, Penney

CD

Lees, Pudil, Thorniley, Fox, JVA, O'Grady, Nielsen, 

CM

Bannan, Hutch, Pelupessy, Lee, Jones, Kirby, 

AM

Forestieri, Matias, Abdi, Stobbs, Preston

CF

Nuhiu, Joao, Hooper, Fletcher, Winnall

I would imagine all the below are available for transfer

Westwood

Palmer

Boyd

Fox

JVA
Jones

Matias

Abdi

Hooper

Fletcher

Winnall

Edited by gypsyowl

Thin old squad that.

3 decent keepers but massive question marks over longevity of Hutch, Lee, Hooper, Fletcher, Abdi, Matias as well as Winall out til Sept/ Oct.

Question marks over quality of Fox, Palmer, Jones, Neilson.

Doesn't leave us with much.

Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Lees, Hutch, Van Aken, Fox, Pudil, Thorniley.

Palmer, Lee.

Reach, Boyd.

Joey, Bannan, Abdi, Jones.

Joao, Hooper, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Matias,  Fessi.

That's 23 then we have likes of Nielsen, O'Grady, Stobbs, Kirby,  Boroukov banging on the door.

Personally 2/3 of the right additions with a keeper out on loan and I'm more than happy with that.

Actually wondering if Abdi might get a chance at Wing Back seen as he's played there for Watford in Premier? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Newspaper reports today saying that Jos is saying that he's going to trim the squad right down

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players," he said.

"Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured," Luhukay said. "I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield."

Now I know many fans have celebrated this point but I'm wondering what the risks are if our players get injured? 

If we trim the squad right down and suffer injuries - what then?

Back t'Pub League

lol

Maybe the club are willing to take a hit on the likes of Boyd, Fletcher, Abdi (maybe a small fee for him), Jones and not request a fee so we can get their presumed larger wages off the books! Then willing to listen to offers for the likes of Winnall, Fox, Mattias, Palmer. 

See where we are nearing the transfer window and if successful with the above sign a few loanees (along with loaning a few kids out).

Hopefully then be in a position to try negotiating new contracts for the likes of Bannan, Westwood, Joao and Hooper so we don’t lose them for nothing!

1 hour ago, Woodyowl450 said:

he's no way near as bad as people make out

the worst games he's had is as an attacking full back, he's actually a centre back who can also play LB... back-up centre half on probably a lot less money then others I don't mind him hanging around, plus he's young so always a chance he'll improve

westwood,dawson,wildsmith. palmer,baker fox pudil van aken lees thornily reach bannan lee Hutchinson abdi pelupessy boyd jones  hooper fletcher matias forestieri joao nuhiu winnall niellson that's 26 don't think ive missed anyone out . of them baker and niellson cant really yet be called 1st team squad members with jos saying 24-25 that worries me slightly it might mean at least 2-3 more leaving with 1-2 coming in on loan.  out of that list of 26 around half get injuries regular. ie westwood ,lees,van aken,bannan,lee,hutchinson, abdi,matias,winnall ,hooper,fletcher by October half will be unavailable and if any more leave our squad will be threadbare , remember ,hirst,clare,wallace,loovens,kean ,hunt, Rhodes,butterfield,venancio   have all left that's 9 , with zero coming in apart from getting an unfit winnall back from derby .im all for getting the likes of jones,abdi and co out but we know that wont and cant happen 

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith.

Lees, Hutch, Van Aken, Fox, Pudil, Thorniley.

Palmer, Lee.

Reach, Boyd.

Joey, Bannan, Abdi, Jones.

Joao, Hooper, Nuhiu, Fletcher, Matias,  Fessi.

That's 23 then we have likes of Nielsen, O'Grady, Stobbs, Kirby,  Boroukov banging on the door.

Personally 2/3 of the right additions with a keeper out on loan and I'm more than happy with that.

Actually wondering if Abdi might get a chance at Wing Back seen as he's played there for Watford in Premier? 

abdi at wingback, now that wont happen in a million years , you have to be the fittest player to play that demanding role ,not the unfit player he has been for 2 years 

Westwood Wildsmith Dawson

Hutch Lees Pudil

New  JVA  Thorniley 

New                                    Reach

Palmer.                                Boyd 

Bannan    Joey

Lee        New

Joao        Nuhui      FF

New       Hooper   Fletcher

Winnall

24 man squad. Perfect.

Young CB on loan

Top quality RWB

Big strong CM

Lightening fast Attacker

Let Fox, Jones, Abdi, Matias go.

This is why I always get promoted on football manager. 

16 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

he's no way near as bad as people make out

the worst games he's had is as an attacking full back, he's actually a centre back who can also play LB... back-up centre half on probably a lot less money then others I don't mind him hanging around, plus he's young so always a chance he'll improve

agree with you there fox is nowhere near as bad as some make out, yes cause he aint a wingback , but as a left sided centre back yes for sure or even just a back up for that position .