Jos trimming the squad

Newspaper reports today saying that Jos is saying that he's going to trim the squad right down

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players," he said.

"Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured," Luhukay said. "I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield."

Now I know many fans have celebrated this point but I'm wondering what the risks are if our players get injured? 

If we trim the squad right down and suffer injuries - what then?

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Newspaper reports today saying that Jos is saying that he's going to trim the squad right down

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players," he said.

"Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured," Luhukay said. "I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield."

Now I know many fans have celebrated this point but I'm wondering what the risks are if our players get injured? 

If we trim the squad right down and suffer injuries - what then?

Sounds like he’s thinking about trimming off the injury prone players if that’s the case.

Hope he’s got a magic wand.

I think people think 25 is a lot less than it is.

This is a squad of 25:

Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith

Palmer, Baker

Reach, Boyd

Lees, van Aken, Thorniley, Pudil, Fox

Pelupessy, Bannan, Lee, Jones, Abdi, Hutch

Nando, Joao, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Matias, Hooper, Winnall

So we might lose Winnall to sign a centerback (or include Neillsen?).. It's not a cull as people seem to have imagined it is.

Take any newspaper, especially during the off season, and especially when England have failed to progress to the World Cup Final. 1.Check the title is correct 2.Check the date is correct 3. Go to and read sports pages 4.Believe approximately 10% of what is written 5. Discard the rest.

I have no problem in reducing the squad size, but we must re-balance and need to recruit in key areas. I always suspected Jos would prioritise fitness over reputation, there is reduced value in having a 'great' player who spends most of the season watching from the stands. 

I sensed a watershed following his comments at the end of last season and think starting this season and next summer in particular we will see wholesale changes and a drastically reduced average squad age.

1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

Take any newspaper, especially during the off season, and especially when England have failed to progress to the World Cup Final. 1.Check the title is correct 2.Check the date is correct 3. Go to and read sports pages 4.Believe approximately 10% of what is written 5. Discard the rest.

So JL wants to trim the squad to between 2.4 and 2.5 players?

lol

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, southportdc said:

I think a 25 man squad might be workable seeing as several competition restrict teams to a 25 man squad. 

Thats for things like the Premier and Champions League where the club can still call on as many U21 players in addition to the 25 man squad. Teams in the PL and CL have a abundance of U21 players of quality so it’s not quite the same. 

I definitely think we need to trim the fat of the squad though and a keeper will probably leave for sure on loan.