Jos trimming the squad

Jos is talking perfect sense. 1 Manager can only spend so long on so many players. If the squad is cut from 32 to 24 he frees more time to concentrate on the 24 players and improve them. If injuries hit then we have a full academy system and a we can loan players if desperate. Finally a manager with a business sense and just thinks logically. We may not walk to the title but if we manage the club properly we will be better off for decades to come.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Newspaper reports today saying that Jos is saying that he's going to trim the squad right down

"I think at the end we will have maybe 24 to 25 players," he said.

"Normally, you always have one, two or three players who are maybe injured," Luhukay said. "I hope we don't have the problem we had with injuries last year when I came to Sheffield."

Now I know many fans have celebrated this point but I'm wondering what the risks are if our players get injured? 

If we trim the squad right down and suffer injuries - what then?

Importantly,  no mention of I'm comings,  only outgoings.  

31 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

So basically we're getting our house in order

Well done all

That's my interpretation also.

In the summer months I have RL to keep me occupied, the team I follow are part-time and spend half the money that other clubs do yet we are 3rd in the league and giving full time teams a beating. Last Sunday we blew away a team that has twice our budget. We've an outstanding coach who believes in promoting youth through the ranks (half the team are born and bred in the town), getting the players super fit and playing some great RL. You can see the players love playing the game and will run through brick walls for each other and the blue and white hoops. Funnily enough the players also don't seem to be picking up the injuries anymore..........no-one absolutely no-one gets carried.

At the Wednesday we've some very good players and if we hold on to our star men (we know who they are) I can see no reason whatsoever why we cant give a good account of ourselves and be there or thereabouts. I can understand why some supporters (including my son) had a bit of a wobble when Jack left but looking at it objectively it made sense and was decent bit of business for a player (taking in to account his stats) with 1 year left on his contract. We've become used to collecting players in a very unsustainable, inefficient and costly way. 

This season I'm (hopefully) looking forward to seeing some much better football and the players playing with a smile and a swagger. More than anything though I want that gut feeling that my club is being run properly and is sustainable. With the help of a supporting Chairman and CEO I hope that Jos is the man to drive this forward, I'm confident he can but sometimes these things can take time.

Good luck to the lads and all the fellow owls heading down to Lincoln tonight.       

UTO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Would imagine this 25 won't include all of the 8 academy players that are training with the first team. so it is probably in reality a squad of about 28.

Panic over 

:stuwinky:

Think you're right in saying not all the 8 U23/academy players will be in final 24/25 man squad - but I'd be amazed if there isn't at least three, if not four. What I can't wait to see is the list of those not included in the first team squad. It will be a clear indication that they have no future in S6 and, if they want to continue their careers they need to get out asap. I know some will sit to tight to maintain their income but 2/3 may be inclined to take a cut in wages in exchange for a longer contact. Wishful thinking on my part? Probably, but let's see what happens.

Wasn't this always the plan?

Why are people wobbling? The plan was always to reduce the squad size and if we had budget length we'd bring in a couple of signings. I imagine we still need to get players out before we pull the trigger on new signings.

I appreciate it's exciting in the summer when you're signing players left, right and centre. Those interviews on the official site. It's all exciting stuff. It's why everyone is excited by Forest as they are signing a significant amount of players. I'm genuinely enthused by our approach. Remove those who don't fit into the manager's plans, integrate youth, improve fitness considerably and keep hold of the spine of the team. 

We had a go at promotion with the scattergun signing approach. It didn't work. Let's try something different from a methodical manager. Also, the loan window doesn't shut until the end of August so always time for reinforcements.

33 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Carlos was always telling us that he wanted 2 players per position = 24 so he went overboard

He got that and then decided he wanted 3.5 players per striker position. Nob. 

• Haha 1

I attended our last Under 23 game, which there was a dutch looking kid getting shown around. 

I expect our number 2, Remy Reynierse to have major influence in stocking the U23 side with usable talent. He's got great experience developing youth players and winning tournaments with the Dutch Under 21's.

58 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Wasn't this always the plan?

Why are people wobbling? The plan was always to reduce the squad size and if we had budget length we'd bring in a couple of signings. I imagine we still need to get players out before we pull the trigger on new signings.

I appreciate it's exciting in the summer when you're signing players left, right and centre. Those interviews on the official site. It's all exciting stuff. It's why everyone is excited by Forest as they are signing a significant amount of players. I'm genuinely enthused by our approach. Remove those who don't fit into the manager's plans, integrate youth, improve fitness considerably and keep hold of the spine of the team. 

We had a go at promotion with the scattergun signing approach. It didn't work. Let's try something different from a methodical manager. Also, the loan window doesn't shut until the end of August so always time for reinforcements.

Far too much sense. 

6 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Sounds a little ominous particularly if the 24/25 includes the likes of hutch, Abdi and Mattias who are rarely available. I suspect if true that we will be seeing a lot of the kids playing this season.

That's OK as long as we don't end up in a relationship scrap.Those players aren't tested over a long championship season.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

How would you know what Jos did and didnt' say?

Well generally the bit in quotes do give away what was directly said, though you would be aware of this. lol The bit not in quotes that was referred to - trim right down - generally looks like padding by the journo and even if Jos did say this at some point, it is safe to assume that 'right down' means 24-25 in this case as he quoted those numbers.

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Importantly,  no mention of I'm comings,  only outgoings.  

Please don't mention that again, neither the time nor the place! :goalie: