ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA | Official Matchday Thread

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the 3 you mentioned are a worry to me as there our creative hub except they arnt ….thought sterling was shocking and the other two wernt far behind him . I realise it's not easy to break decent international sides down but those 3 didn't seem to have a clue on the creative side .

I agree, although if a team actually comes at us it's a different game entirely and I'm hoping they'll be able to exploit the extra space they may get. 

Don't think we'll see much of that against Sweden but should we go beyond that then we'll be playing teams with a different mentality.

46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the emotion and result masked what was a poor game and a  mundane England performance …but a bit  like us under carlos all that matters in the end is the result so all in all a successful night 

A bit harsh for me.

Like Tunisia and Panama, they were a horrible set of flaps to play against - but with much better players. 2 excellent CBs and a couple of dangerous attacking players, who we kept at bay. It was never going to be an easy game, but we were the better team and deserved to go through. 

A couple of big performances as well. Maguire was absolutely outstanding. Dealt with everything in the air and on the ground. Commanding and composed. He's looking top class and the big clubs will surely be taking note.

Kane was also excellent. He's so calm and composed. Even when getting kicked all over the pitch. Proper captains performance 

54 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the emotion and result masked what was a poor game and a  mundane England performance …but a bit  like us under carlos all that matters in the end is the result so all in all a successful night

Disagree we were so much better than Colombia and they were lucky to equalize. They were also cheating tail tugging tuggers. We should have been playing 10 men for 65 minutes.

Kane is an amazing player.

3 hours ago, Owl14 said:

Is it just me or did it seem like a rerun of the play off semi v Huddersfield 

England scored and dominated for 10 mins like Wednesday 

Columbia got back into the game and hit back and got a lucky goal like Huddersfield

Extra time not much happened 

then in the pens vardy bottled the pen like Rhodes 

henderson ( who plays in similar position and does the same role) misses the pen) 

near the end of the shootout Pickford makes a save like Westwood did 

only difference is England won 

Yup it did. And getting the win was like the Brighton playoff. We've be starved of any success as England and Wednesday fans, but it makes these nights all the more sweeter when they finally come around. 

Could not believe how unsporting the Colombian's were.  I've never seen a team divert the referees attention before a penalty to allow another team mate to purposefully dig and gouge the penalty spot.  VAR should have sent that guy off for unsporting conduct.  Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Guest addedtime
8 hours ago, The Regulator said:

I have 3 girls that are in a dancing show on Saturday, starting at 4pm. They’ve been practising for months. What a dilemma. 

My daughter's show starts at 2.30 on Saturday. I feel your pain. Gonna try to get from the Montgomery theatre to Wadsley afterwards without finding the score out.

I think the ref last night must have worried what the cartels would do to him if he gave one of theirs a red card. 

I have never seen players behave like that before, absolute disgrace to football. 

7 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

A bit harsh for me.

Like Tunisia and Panama, they were a horrible set of flaps to play against - but with much better players. 2 excellent CBs and a couple of dangerous attacking players, who we kept at bay. It was never going to be an easy game, but we were the better team and deserved to go through. 

A couple of big performances as well. Maguire was absolutely outstanding. Dealt with everything in the air and on the ground. Commanding and composed. He's looking top class and the big clubs will surely be taking note.

Kane was also excellent. He's so calm and composed. Even when getting kicked all over the pitch. Proper captains performance 

This.

One thing I love about this England team is how comfortable on the ball they are - especially the defenders.

It was a tough night for Alli, Lingard, Henderson and Sterling, but they worked hard to limit Columbia to nothing even though nothing was coming off for them offensively.

This England team reminds me of Italy of old; compact, comfortable on the ball, make the most of set pieces, play from the back, have a talisman upfront, and nothing spectacular or fancy.

This team is a proper team. That wins tournaments and if England don’t win this WC, they’ll come flippin’ close.

• Like 1

That penalty that was awarded to us, anyone else think Kane knew what he was doing there? 

When that player put himself into that 'love train' in front of him, Kane must have thought thanks very much. 

Not saying it wasn't a pen but it was very clever play by Kane to get it. 

Really naive from their player though.