ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA | Official Matchday Thread

39 minutes ago, torres said:

1 hours sleep off to work!!!

GET IN!!!!

Lovely to see so many of the  “I don’t care about England or the World Cup” brigade getting involved now 

Christ it was a rollercoaster , Saturday is going to be epic . Loving it me 3 Lions be proud , Come on England , is it coming home ? 

47 minutes ago, Beholder said:

That penalty that was awarded to us, anyone else think Kane knew what he was doing there? 

When that player put himself into that 'love train' in front of him, Kane must have thought thanks very much. 

Not saying it wasn't a pen but it was very clever play by Kane to get it. 

Really naive from their player though. 

Seriously ? You think Kane made their defender do that ?? Blimey . Did you not see the same foul at an earlier corner ? Kane was quite frankly world class last night and he practically dragged us to the Quarters . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Seriously ? You think Kane made their defender do that ?? Blimey . Did you not see the same foul at an earlier corner ? Kane was quite frankly world class last night and he practically dragged us to the Quarters . 

No. 

That's not what I was saying. 

Ffs. 

7 minutes ago, Beholder said:

No. 

That's not what I was saying. 

Ffs. 

Ok sorry , Kane was buying free kicks all the second half but he WAS being fouled though , I am so pleased penalties are being dished out for the ridiculous carry ons at corners .

41 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

This.

One thing I love about this England team is how comfortable on the ball they are - especially the defenders.

It was a tough night for Alli, Lingard, Henderson and Sterling, but they worked hard to limit Columbia to nothing even though nothing was coming off for them offensively.

This England team reminds me of Italy of old; compact, comfortable on the ball, make the most of set pieces, play from the back, have a talisman upfront, and nothing spectacular or fancy.

This team is a proper team. That wins tournaments and if England don’t win this WC, they’ll come flippin’ close.

while I wouldn't disagree with your assessment it did very much remind me  of how we played in Carlos's second season where the result was all that mattered with enterprise and attacking intent a very secondary consideration …..taking the panama game out the equation  (they were dogger) we create very little ,the fact that in 3 games we have scored only 3 goals all from set plays  and havnt scored from open play  from the paltry other 11 shots on target in the 3 games .it's not a criticism because like I say the outcome is all that matters and if southgate thinks we were "outstanding" then he must be happy playing  in that style is the way he thinks he can go as far as he hopes ….I really hope he's right .

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Ok sorry , Kane was buying free kicks all the second half but he WAS being fouled though , I am so pleased penalties are being dished out for the ridiculous carry ons at corners .

Agreed. 

I just thought their player was very naive. That was always gonna be a penalty before the whistle even blew to take the set piece by the way he positioned himself. 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

while I wouldn't disagree with your assessment it did very much remind me  of how we played in Carlos's second season where the result was all that mattered with enterprise and attacking intent a very secondary consideration …..taking the panama game out the equation  (they were dogger) we create very little ,the fact that in 3 games we have scored only 3 goals all from set plays  and havnt scored from open play  from the paltry other 11 shots on target in the 3 games .it's not a criticism because like I say the outcome is all that matters and if southgate thinks we were "outstanding" then he must be happy playing  in that style is the way he thinks he can go as far as he hopes ….I really hope he's right .

Tbf , I also sought concern for the lack of clear cut chances we create . Can’t totally fault England for that as the dirty, cheating . Spoiling tactics by the Colombians stifled our play and the game in general , at least we went out there with intent to attack .loving the ride 

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Think the main difference is this style suits these England players - and this type of tournament football lends itself to such a style. As where under Carlos, the style didn't suit our players, and it's difficult to play like that over a 46 game Championship season.

13 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Think the main difference is this style suits these England players - and this type of tournament football lends itself to such a style. As where under Carlos, the style didn't suit our players, and it's difficult to play like that over a 46 game Championship season.

England have lots of pace too unlike the Carlos era 

27 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Tbf , I also sought concern for the lack of clear cut chances we create . Can’t totally fault England for that as the dirty, cheating . Spoiling tactics by the Colombians stifled our play and the game in general , at least we went out there with intent to attack .loving the ride 

Colombia were a disgrace..

That free kick in the first half must have taken 5 minutes to take it by the time they'd finished head butting and walking around the ref..

Also the way they tried to dig up the penalty spot before kanes pen was disgusting.. all caught on camera. When are the authorities going to

clamp down on it.. Football is becoming un-watchable for me..wednesday aside of course

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

That penalty that was awarded to us, anyone else think Kane knew what he was doing there? 

When that player put himself into that 'love train' in front of him, Kane must have thought thanks very much. 

Not saying it wasn't a pen but it was very clever play by Kane to get it. 

Really naive from their player though. 

He was playing them at their own game in a way. Teasing them and inviting a challenge (foul) all through the game.

They were just too niaive to realise the reality of playing under VAR rules against a player like Kane.

But has anyone ever seen a yellow card for a blatant head butt before... Ridiculous decision.

2 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Colombia were a disgrace..

That free kick in the first half must have taken 5 minutes to take it by the time they'd finished head butting and walking around the ref..

Also the way they tried to dig up the penalty spot before kanes pen was disgusting.. all caught on camera. When are the authorities going to

clamp down on it.. Football is becoming un-watchable for me..wednesday aside of course

Should have kicked them out at half time they were an embarrassment and downright cheats good riddance hope we never have to play them again 

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

the 3 you mentioned are a worry to me as there our creative hub except they arnt ….thought sterling was shocking and the other two wernt far behind him . I realise it's not easy to break decent international sides down but those 3 didn't seem to have a clue on the creative side .

Sterling has been dogger all tournament. His every second touch is a tackle. Has to be rashford rather than him surely.

Alli still doesn’t look fit and Lingard wasn’t at the racers last night. Beeen Ok in the other ghames though.

Guest Bulgaria

Quite a spring in my step today.

Not sure what's made me happier, that England have made the quarters, or the fact that those horrible, cheating, low life, parasites Colombia haven't.

Just need neymar to pop a knee cap whilst diving and my week shall be complete.