ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA | Official Matchday Thread

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

After a week of continental living and a salad fest...those brave Thai lads getting rescued and my piles going back up my arse.

What a shame that the Columbian world cup team are all going to get murdered.

The salad bit worries me 

Care to share ? 

• Haha 1

Is Vardy didn't have the balls to take that last pen he should be dropped from the squad and not play again. He is the regular pen taker for Leicester and has scored loads all his career, and yet we gave one Rashford who hasnt scored a professional penalty and the pub player that is Dier. Utterly crapping myself when he stepped up for last pen, bad pen and lucky to score it.

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

Is Vardy didn't have the balls to take that last pen he should be dropped from the squad and not play again. He is the regular pen taker for Leicester and has scored loads all his career, and yet we gave one Rashford who hasnt scored a professional penalty and the pub player that is Dier. Utterly crapping myself when he stepped up for last pen, bad pen and lucky to score it.

That's it get behind the lads

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is it just me or did it seem like a rerun of the play off semi v Huddersfield 

England scored and dominated for 10 mins like Wednesday 

Columbia got back into the game and hit back and got a lucky goal like Huddersfield

Extra time not much happened 

then in the pens vardy bottled the pen like Rhodes 

henderson ( who plays in similar position and does the same role) misses the pen) 

near the end of the shootout Pickford makes a save like Westwood did 

only difference is England won 

• Like 1

Football is a funny old game and I just wonder if the writing is in the wall for us to play Russia in the semis. We will lose to a dodgy referee decision and all Zizzis will be shut with immediate effect. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, billyblack said:

england v sweden will be the dullest game ever. proper boring war of atrition. last man to sleep will win it. still a semi spot looms so fingers crossed

thought maguire had a great game tonight

Maguire is a terrific player and i’d love to find some of the threads on here that gave him dogs abuse. 

Re Sweden, perfect game for us. English style game. We will be in the World Cup Semis. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Maguire is a terrific player and i’d love to find some of the threads on here that gave him dogs abuse. 

Re Sweden, perfect game for us. English style game. We will be in the World Cup Semis. 

To be fair he was excellent today.. 

We got out of jail tonight. Should have won comfortably. Southgate has wildly exceeded my expectation as manager but he dropped a massive b o ll o c k bringing on Dier IMO (yes he got the winning penalty but he was dogger during the game - should have been bold an replaced like for like with Loftus Cheek for Delle Ali. it was a backward step shoring up against a side who hadn't remotely threatened us.

So glad (and  utterly amazed) we won the shoot out.

Referee bottled it massively - should have sent at least 2 of theirs off.

Maguire and Trippier were awesome. Kane is a superstar. 

VAR will only be used to cheat a team out of the competition.If you cannot rectify a headbutt to the face as a red card then we should just give up

And Colombia were a disgrace. Again FIFA should act in respect of their cheating and attempted intimidation of the ref. 

Still onwards and upwards until the psychodrama of Saturday puts us through the wringer again...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

I tend to agree with you. Dier hasn’t looked sharp at all so when he stepped up to take that last pen I was fearing the worst. 

Hopefully converting that pen will give him a massive boost for the next game. 

4 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

We got out of jail tonight. Should have won comfortably. Southgate has wildly exceeded my expectation as manager but he dropped a massive b o ll o c k bringing on Dier IMO (yes he got the winning penalty but he was dogger during the game - should have been bold an replaced like for like with Loftus Cheek for Delle Ali. it was a backward step shoring up against a side who hadn't remotely threatened us.

So glad (and  utterly amazed) we won the shoot out.

Referee bottled it massively - should have sent at least 2 of theirs off.

Maguire and Trippier were awesome. Kane is a superstar. 

VAR will only be used to cheat a team out of the competition.If you cannot rectify a headbutt to the face as a red card then we should just give up

And Colombia were a disgrace. Again FIFA should act in respect of their cheating and attempted intimidation of the ref. 

Still onwards and upwards until the psychodrama of Saturday puts us through the wringer again...

Spot on post. Couldn’t agree more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

the emotion and result masked what was a poor game and a  mundane England performance …but a bit  like us under carlos all that matters in the end is the result so all in all a successful night 

Didn't think we were on it tonight- nothing came off for Alli, Lingard or Sterling. However, as you say, we found a way to come through it.

We've played 3 teams that have tried to spoil against us and we've managed to get the job done. I think we'll be more comfortable playing against the less cynical Swedes- even if they do appear to be incredibly well organised defensively.

I think our system will give their rigid 4-4-2 real problems. 

1 hour ago, Whitecap Owl said:

A very productive day at work today LOL

Now, for the next hour,  I have to tolerate the never ending droning on and on of Luke Wileman (former Radio Sheffield commentator and Pig Fan - now with TSN in Canada)...  He does commentary for Toronto FC and occasionally Vancouver Whitecaps - blurts out the scores in other games (which I like to watch later..) - he also seems to have pages and pages of relentless mundane trivia that he MUST get through...
Radio Sheffield's loss - our gain... LOL

I'm with you on that. Tried Fox for a short time, then switched back when Katie abdo appeared.

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

12 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Didn't think we were on it tonight- nothing came off for Alli, Lingard or Sterling. However, as you say, we found a way to come through it.

We've played 3 teams that have tried to spoil against us and we've managed to get the job done. I think we'll be more comfortable playing against the less cynical Swedes- even if they do appear to be incredibly well organised defensively.

I think our system will give their rigid 4-4-2 real problems. 

the 3 you mentioned are a worry to me as there our creative hub except they arnt ….thought sterling was shocking and the other two wernt far behind him . I realise it's not easy to break decent international sides down but those 3 didn't seem to have a clue on the creative side .