Were you as emotionally involved last night?

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Same for me. After all the failures I think many have have become blase about how the national side do. That'll most likely change if we get on a serious roll. Those old enough have witnessed 1966 will know what it means.

Cheered & celebrated at the first goal. Swore & shouted all the way through. Abused the ref & the cheating opposition & went mental at the late winner.

Exactly as I would watching Wednesday. Only variation was in a pub instead of north stand.  And it's a rarer event with England. Platt v Belgium in 1990 last time something similar happened.

• Like 1

I tend to follow England more closely in the big tourneys (Euros/World Cup).   My issue this time around was sorting out the players after the big overhaul (but am getting up to speed pretty quickly).  I definitely cheer the team on - being in Canada we have a wide variety of fans from other countries at work which makes the tournament fun to watch.  My Iranian co-worker is talking non stop about tomorrows game against Spain...  The Italian guy is pretty quiet for some reason LOL

My emotional attachment to England is strong, but it doesn't compare to Wednesday. With Wednesday it cuts right to the bone (and beyond).

Suspect it's all to do with the fact that Wednesday play an average 50 games a year and England only 10 or so, plus in my younger years access to matches was so easy, must have seen somewhere between 500 - 700 Wednesday matches whereas I've only seen England live twice and one of those was an England XI in a testimonial match at Hillsborough!

Think international football is harmed by the nothing friendlies and throwaway qualifiers. 

I'm *lucky* to have seen England play in Euro 96, World Cup 98 etc. 

England have been on a steady decline for a good decade imo (might be turning the corner now) and I certainly struggle to muster the same level of support and enthusiasm that I do for them as I do Wednesday. 

But - it's a World Cup - and I enjoyed last night's match and being part of a big crowd of people watching the game. 

It'll always be club before country for me, but I will always support England and want us to succeed. 

26 minutes ago, 442 said:

I'd rather England win the World Cup than Wednesday win the premier league.

Not sure I'll see either.

You cannot be serious! (Spoken in best John McEnroe voice)

Wednesday winning something, anything every time for me!

58 minutes ago, torres said:

All the videos of 1000’s of people celebrating last night were brilliant 

I went absolutely mental 

All these wet wipes comparing it to club football are slightly weird. 

This. I want England to win because I’m English and I like football. This ‘I domt care about England’ attitude is so boring 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 442 said:

I'd rather England win the World Cup than Wednesday win the premier league.

Not sure I'll see either.

Seen England win the World Cup. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

The glitz and glamour of the big international tournaments has been ruined by the saturation coverage of Sky (killing football since 1992) and the greed of the Champions League.

The national delusion that surrounds the England team genuinely baffles me. They are awful to watch and always have been. Compared to Wednesday, England mean absolutely nothing to me.

With the exception of Kane, this has got to be one of the worst England sides of all time. It's embarrasing the dross that gets given an England cap these days. I do have to admit that I really like Gareth Southgate and what he's done and is trying to do. For his sake, I hope they do well, but I have very little interest in them at all.

18 minutes ago, james o connor said:

This. I want England to win because I’m English and I like football. This ‘I domt care about England’ attitude is so boring 

Could not agree more. 

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t 

11 minutes ago, OneDavidHirst said:

The glitz and glamour of the big international tournaments has been ruined by the saturation coverage of Sky (killing football since 1992) and the greed of the Champions League.

The national delusion that surrounds the England team genuinely baffles me. They are awful to watch and always have been. Compared to Wednesday, England mean absolutely nothing to me.

With the exception of Kane, this has got to be one of the worst England sides of all time. It's embarrasing the dross that gets given an England cap these days. I do have to admit that I really like Gareth Southgate and what he's done and is trying to do. For his sake, I hope they do well, but I have very little interest in them at all.

Very strange 

a few people saying "nothing is the same as a last minute Wednesday goal' but surely that statement needs some context?

A last minute winner for England in a World Cup game is bigger than a last minute Wednesday goal when we've nothing to play for as far as I'm concerned.

Should I return my season ticket and get t'lane?

• Like 1