Were you as emotionally involved last night?

2 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Would rather have been watching Wednesday v Reading, or even Burton. 

My lad who is 12 even said while watching that it's not the same as watching Wednesday. 

if youd rather watch that burton game again,youve flipped your lid!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Owls2k said:

"I love Wednesday more than England" is the the most boring thing since watching Potter and O'Connor as the central two.

Why is it 'boring'?

It seems quite a few people in this thread feel that way. What else do you expect them to say when asked how the two compare?

I want England to win and watch their matches when a tournament rolls around every couple of years, but the emotions involved are nothing compared to when I'm watching Wednesday. I'm not sure why that should be boring.

It was the only night available to go out with friends who are over on holiday so I taped it.

If Wednesday were on the box I would NEVER go out and miss it... I’d flat out refuse. ( my missus wouldn’t bother suggesting it anyway)

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why is it 'boring'?

It seems quite a few people in this thread feel that way. What else do you expect them to say when asked how the two compare?

I want England to win and watch their matches when a tournament rolls around every couple of years, but the emotions involved are nothing compared to when I'm watching Wednesday. I'm not sure why that should be boring.

I think he means the same old argument that crops up every time England play.

If you support Wednesday it is an EVERYDAY thing...........wanting your country to do well when they play is a completely different thing.

I always find it a bit sad when people say they dont care about the national team but hey ho...............FWIW i will always back them

You have the chance to see Wednesday every week and its purely a 70% 30% Wednesday Blades Sheffield thing

England is obviously a national thing so it depends on where your main loyalties lay and how you see yourself in relation to it

Sht tournament performances for the last 16 years has made the country cynical and snarky towards the England setup, and perhaps rightly so.  It's now cool to say England are sht theyll just let us down cos thats what theyve done so many times.

We were constantly told about a 'golden' generation with Crouch in the team doing the robot and beating Jamaica (didnt JJ play?) 6-0.  Seems like the press got their way with creating too much pressure again and again.

That and add the fact that every team (including smaller eastern European teams) we seem to play against can actually pass the ball to each other with ease and we struggle.

Face it were not a football powerhouse but we are football obsessed.

8 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

You are having a laugh surely aren't you??? 

So if you had the choice of Wednesday getting promoted next season or England winning this World Cup you would go with England. 

Each to their own I suppose. 

I would to.

Promotions come and go but for my country to win the World Cup - players from England to win a world tournament watched by billions - that would be something else.

Its the ultimate, these players haven’t signed because we gave them more money it’s because they were born and bred here, they are proud of where they come from 

I follow Wednesday all over the place (I might have mentioned it once or twice) but let’s be fair, bar the odd one they couldn’t give two hoots about the club, even one lad who is from Sheffield can’t wait to leave 

Wednesday first every time, but I always want England to do well

Our play-off defeat at Wembley left me hugely disappointed but also very proud

Four and half weeks later, England losing to Iceland left me feeling MIGHTILY p1ssed off and acutely embarrassed

Perhaps because I thought we had a genuine chance of actually winning the trophy? - but then again, with Hodgson in charge I was probably kidding myself all along

I also felt Wednesday were in with a good shout of doing even better the following season, whereas being realistic, England will rarely be serious contenders and the next really good opportunity to reach a final might never arrive

... unless we can get the tournament back on home soil ... then maybe ...

9 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

You are having a laugh surely aren't you??? 

So if you had the choice of Wednesday getting promoted next season or England winning this World Cup you would go with England. 

Each to their own I suppose. 

100%

Wednesday will be promoted and relegated again plenty of times in my lifetime.  ( I'm 30 ) I really can't see England winning the world cup, to finally get our turn to experience that and see the whole nation celebrating, can't think of many things I'd like to see more. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jesus said:

Not trying to turn this into a club versus country debate for people to say how much they hate England etc but my question is, were the emotions the same for you last night watching England win?

I lost all enthusiasm for England but am behind Southgate and the team this year a lot more. However still sat there last night and struggled to get that emotionally involved in the game. Didn't cheer when we scored, I was pleased and may have even smiled, but didn't cheer. When Wednesday score I go mad. Yet the friends around me went mental, much more so then when the clubs they support score.

Does it feel different to you? Should it feel different? 

Life’s too short..cheer for all goals Wednesday or England related. Enjoy it. We’re not playing each other 

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I think he means the same old argument that crops up every time England play.

If you support Wednesday it is an EVERYDAY thing...........wanting your country to do well when they play is a completely different thing.

I always find it a bit sad when people say they dont care about the national team but hey ho...............FWIW i will always back them

Fair enough. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

I suppose it is a question that's been done to death, but then there's not much else to chat about right now, is there?

3 hours ago, addedtime said:

I don't feel the emotional connection with England, that I do SWFC. I chose to support SWFC.

I think that might be the difference.

I was born to be both - i didn't choose either 

Love my country love my club 

18 hours ago, Jesus said:

Not trying to turn this into a club versus country debate for people to say how much they hate England etc but my question is, were the emotions the same for you last night watching England win?

I lost all enthusiasm for England but am behind Southgate and the team this year a lot more. However still sat there last night and struggled to get that emotionally involved in the game. Didn't cheer when we scored, I was pleased and may have even smiled, but didn't cheer. When Wednesday score I go mad. Yet the friends around me went mental, much more so then when the clubs they support score.

Does it feel different to you? Should it feel different? 

Just a quick question, who do all your mates support? My guess without knowing would be top 6 PL sides who just presume they will beat everyone and must beat teams in style and expect everything and don't appreciate a semi-final or moderate success. Therefore they feel more emotional when England have success as they don't expect that from England. You are now going to say Wycombe or something aren't you....... :luhukay:

As for me I'm not bothered about England anymore. Wish them all the best but i was more attached when i could go to games at Old Trafford when Wembley was being built, Never gone to Wembley to see them and now don't feel the same connection.

16 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Just a quick question, who do all your mates support? My guess without knowing would be top 6 PL sides who just presume they will beat everyone and must beat teams in style and expect everything and don't appreciate a semi-final or moderate success. Therefore they feel more emotional when England have success as they don't expect that from England. You are now going to say Wycombe or something aren't you....... :luhukay:

As for me I'm not bothered about England anymore. Wish them all the best but i was more attached when i could go to games at Old Trafford when Wembley was being built, Never gone to Wembley to see them and now don't feel the same connection.

You are correct

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

I suppose it is a question that's been done to death, but then there's not much else to chat about right now, is there?

You`re not kidding mate....................hopefully things will start warming up Wendesdaywise over the next few weeks.