Are their any hidden gems

10 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Non league & lower league.........

just like they have for the past hundred years or so !

I thought the thinking by introducing the academies was (flawed) to get the young players to be  better coached so as to  strengthen the England team ………. the odd few may have  but not many players who started out at non league level made the England team in any era ….I still think the county school, apprenticeship,youth league.central league is the way to go. 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I thought the thinking by introducing the academies was (flawed) to get the young players to be  better coached so as to  strengthen the England team ………. the odd few may have  but not many players who started out at non league level made the England team in any era ….I still think the county school, apprenticeship,youth league.central league is the way to go. 

I agree pal but I think more and more clubs will go the Brentford/Huddersfield route rather than invest squillions into academies only to see the cream of their talent whom they’ve coached/nurtured from 8 years old have their head turned by a PL club at the last minute for a pittance and then to be loaned out .

On 19/06/2018 at 13:56, Dave DJ said:

Will we get a tribunal for George Hirst and/or Sean Clare? 

Could get a few bob from them if so

Im sure we will get a massive windfall from those two. 

12 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Doesn't the compensation go on how long the player has been at the club ? 

We will get next to nothing for Clare only been with us two years - Developed by Charlton then released and we picked up from the Nike Academy, GH could have been a decent some but not playing for a full season will massively affect what we would have got and we need to find a buyer for both or we will get nought.

We could try increasing the academy to the highest level, I think we are 1 level below. That way we would get more in compensation and we could knick players from lower rated clubs academies.

If you can't beat them ....

Don't see the point in going for Cat 1 - especially now as the next cycle of audits starting next season will be based on new criteria

It doubles the outlay per season - it doesn't increase compensation necessarily but it does increase the standard tariff fee applicable for players

Also, we can "nick" players from other academies now - we just have to get the player to agree to sign and then we stump up the cash

perhaps if scouts at swfc went out further than Sheffield they might do something of note took me ages  to get em out to see my lad and loads of phonecalls in doing so  yet scouts from other teams from the prem downwards turned up at games unannounced every other week ,ours wouldn't budge further than Retford or gainsborough , and even then had to have theire arms twisted

Edited by trevdi9

On 19/06/2018 at 12:40, jambler said:

Looks brilliant from what I have seen mate. Can't disagree with you there. 

Whitecaps are my second team, so I have watched Davies a fair bit (more than Alvarez). 

I was thinking more young and hungry. And cheap! 

Kudos to you for spotting the talent. 

Not it so much on guessing the value of the player!

Alvarez still to make a contribution with LA Galaxy, would love to see us take a look whilst he’s still somewhat under the radar

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Señor Sam said:

Cant wait to see how he does in European football

8 hours ago, Señor Sam said:

He's going to be some player. 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:06, room0035 said:

After seeing that Norwich look to be getting over £20m for selling a player they sign last season for only £3m and Coventry will get 10% of the deal for a sell on clause.

Are we looking at the whole FFP wrongly should we be looking for gems from league 1 and 2 who we can develop into better players then in a few season sell them on at a big profit - you only need one or two to improve to basically cover any shortfall in FFP that we might have, not to mention these player may even push the club forward.

So you the knowledge of owls talk which players currently in league 1 and 2 should we be taking a punt on.

If we put aside the inconvenient truth, that we can't afford any lower league gems atm post-445-0-86838400-1332238664_thumb.png ...

Ipswich are just one club gambling on this idea, this season

Selling

Webster £4mil

Waghorn £8mil

Buying / Loaning

Ellis Harrison
Gwion Edwards
Jordan Roberts
Trevoh Chalobah
Curtis Tilt
Conor Townsend 
Kayden Jackson
Janoi Donacien

Should we sell our only valuable asset (FF) and reinvest in the bargain bin?

The problem we'd have, is we never manage to sell high and most of the 'gems' have probably been tapped & snapped, in the last 2 months

Maybe next year? 

I think Winnall was/is our hidden gem. We got him for pretty much nothing (only £500k) and if he'd kept form and hadn't got injured at Derby last year we would've been able to sell him on for a tidy profit.

On 20/06/2018 at 22:23, scram said:

Don't see the point in going for Cat 1 - especially now as the next cycle of audits starting next season will be based on new criteria

It doubles the outlay per season - it doesn't increase compensation necessarily but it does increase the standard tariff fee applicable for players

Also, we can "nick" players from other academies now - we just have to get the player to agree to sign and then we stump up the cash

Spending on youth setups doesn't count towards FFP I believe 

It’s a part of the market we haven’t made the most of IMO. We need to be looking at younger players as well as calculated buys of proven quality.

Bayliss and Shipley are two young cm players at Coventry who looked very handy in the playoffs. If we liked Shaun Clare they are both rangy and can get a goal. Coventry also need money so anything around 1m they usually sell.

Bristol City and Ipswich have both signed promising strikers from league 2 and McNulty made the move up.

Edited by Bluesteel