Are their any hidden gems

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

We are terrible at selling players, we usually get it wrong and end up selling players when we need vs when they’re in demand.

Selling players to maximize asset value and reinvest is a necessary part of any fottball club strategy

Agreed..............i remember when we sold Antonio (better off without him a lot on here said :rolleyes:) thinking we had let him go for about half of what he was worth at that time.

What made it worse was Stuart Gray rubbing salt in by saying the sale was "necessary" cause it allowed us to bring in Stevie May !!!

3 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

They will go to tribunal yes if they don't agree deals with us. The tribunal fee's are usually very low though, so don't bank on getting a lot. That's why i couldn't understand why we didn't negotiate with the various clubs who were in for Hirst and sell him on before getting to this stage as he was never going to sign a new deal anyway...

Great idea...that would have given the anti CD brigade a huge stick to beat him with.

38 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

How do most clubs balance the books if they refuse to sell?

If you read the OP it asks if we should buy league 1/2 quality, develop for a season and sell for £20m +.

Not many teams do that. Mainly because it's a bit difficult. But if you do adopt a policy of buy develop sell (or for kids, just develop and sell) then you're becoming the classic "selling club".

You can also balance the books by:

owner investment,

selling fringe players. If difficult to get rid of, cut your losses, take a hit,

less spending. Be it frivolous or ambitious, be it wages or transfer fees, reduce spending.

increase commercial revenue or ticket income. Won't have a big impact, but every little helps.

Would look at Alphonso Davies from the Vancouver Whitecaps. Turns 18 in November so can move on. 

Yeah the MLS isn't the best league in the world we all know that, but he's a very good attacking midfielder that wouldn't command a fee, and wouldn't be high wages. 

Think @Mickjj and @Señor Sam could back me up on that. 

47 minutes ago, jambler said:

Would look at Alphonso Davies from the Vancouver Whitecaps. Turns 18 in November so can move on. 

Yeah the MLS isn't the best league in the world we all know that, but he's a very good attacking midfielder that wouldn't command a fee, and wouldn't be high wages. 

Think @Mickjj and @Señor Sam could back me up on that. 

If I was going to take a punt on anyone from the MLS I’d go for Efrain Alvarez. Looks the real deal to me

Edited by McRightSide

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

If I was going to take a punt on anyone from the MLS I’d go for Efrain Alvarez. Looks the real deal to me

Looks brilliant from what I have seen mate. Can't disagree with you there. 

Whitecaps are my second team, so I have watched Davies a fair bit (more than Alvarez). 

I was thinking more young and hungry. And cheap! 

31 minutes ago, jambler said:

Looks brilliant from what I have seen mate. Can't disagree with you there. 

Whitecaps are my second team, so I have watched Davies a fair bit (more than Alvarez). 

I was thinking more young and hungry. And cheap! 

Havent seen the guy you mention but Alvarez has just turned 16 and earns $70k a year. 

Davies is earning $72k per year. He would be worth a punt but a word of caution, Darren Mattocks was also a young flying forward and his career has stalled but that could be due to coaching and player development.

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

16 hours ago, Dave DJ said:

Or don’t pay a fee, develop players from the U-18 & U-23 sides, bring them into the first team and then maybe make a huge profit without the initial outlay 

Or follow the lead of Brentford & Huddersfield and ditch the flawed academy system altogether and instead invest heavily into their scouting system to pick up the young gems in lower/non league football.

This then prevents the corrupt premier league clubs raping and pillaging every other clubs academies for a pittance whilst having 40+ full time professionals out on loan (Citeh & Chelsea) and raking in a loan fee!

It also keeps transfer fees and sell on clauses within the entire football pyramid not just the chosen few !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Or follow the lead of Brentford & Huddersfield and ditch the flawed academy system altogether and instead invest heavily into their scouting system to pick up the young gems in lower/non league football.

I think more clubs are looking at doing this

It's not hard to see why

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if clubs ditch there youth set up where then  do the 10- 16 year olds go to learn the game .?

Good question...perhaps it opens up the way for professional football academies like the one we got Clare from. But the big clubs would soon be hoovering up the most promising youngsters as they do now. The only answer then would be a limit on the number they were allowed to take on. But then they would simply buy feeder clubs so back to square one.:picnic:

for donkey's years clubs signed lads on leaving school on a 2 year apprenticeship(13players I think they were allowed) , they played in the northern intermediate league and if good enough signed on as pros and made there way into the central league playing agaianst old pro's and youngsters from the likes of man utd & Liverpool where  they learned the game  …...a system that produced no end of good players for us and no doubt other clubs . ...why this was changed to how it is these days( and it clearly isn't working if clubs are jacking it in) is a bit of a puzzle .

35 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if clubs ditch there youth set up where then  do the 10- 16 year olds go to learn the game .?

Same place they did in the 150 years before the inception of academies?

Some clubs will always have academies - or a large pool of young/youth players at all ages

But clubs like Bury and Oxford for eg?

It's a big commitment a (relatively) large outlay and in general without any return

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

for donkey's years clubs signed lads on leaving school on a 2 year apprenticeship(13players I think they were allowed) , they played in the northern intermediate league and if good enough signed on as pros and made there way into the central league playing agaianst old pro's and youngsters from the likes of man utd & Liverpool where  they learned the game  …...a system that produced no end of good players for us and no doubt other clubs . ...why this was changed to how it is these days( and it clearly isn't working if clubs are jacking it in) is a bit of a puzzle .

Well Jimmy Hill set the ball rolling with the abolition of the wage cap...then Bosman gave it another kick and Rupert Murdock finally kicked it into touch. In other words Money.

8 minutes ago, scram said:

Same place they did in the 150 years before the inception of academies?

Some clubs will always have academies - or a large pool of young/youth players at all ages

But clubs like Bury and Oxford for eg?

It's a big commitment a (relatively) large outlay and in general without any return

but you'd think that the level of coaching at the likes of  bury & oxford wouldn't be the same as Chelsea or man utd ……...if the big club  do ditch the academy's then do they still sign the outstanding 14 year olds or do they let them go to other clubs safe in the knowledge that they can buy them later if they do look like making the grade . ….

3 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

I've also watched Davis and........he's far too good for us and will probably end up with one of the big boys,  he looks really special. 

Can't argue with that. I know Sporting were looking at him. With their current situation though it could be a bit of a risk going there, mind.