ENGLAND vs PANAMA | Official Matchday Thread

Alli should be rested unless categorically 100% fit.

Sterling reminds me of John Barnes, brilliant at club level, disappointing for England. Doesnt seem to be able to manage the step up consistently.

We looked lethargic second half v Tunisia. Could this be partly due to the temperature? It should be a lot fresher v Panama, so I expect greater energy. 

Young remins ins me or Ross Wallace. Got a great delivery, but has to cut inside to deliver it, so often the chance to do so is lost. I'd play Rose.

Despite the quality of the opposition, the defence looked vulnerable against Tunisia. Mistakes were plenty. We don't have much better to choose from, but I'd go for Cahill for his experience.

Out: Walker, Young, Alli, Sterling.

In: Cahill, Rose, Loftus-Cheek, Vardy.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Alli should be rested unless categorically 100% fit.

Sterling reminds me of John Barnes, brilliant at club level, disappointing for England. Doesnt seem to be able to manage the step up consistently.

We looked lethargic second half v Tunisia. Could this be partly due to the temperature? It should be a lot fresher v Panama, so I expect greater energy. 

Young remins ins me or Ross Wallace. Got a great delivery, but has to cut inside to deliver it, so often the chance to do so is lost. I'd play Rose.

Despite the quality of the opposition, the defence looked vulnerable against Tunisia. Mistakes were plenty. We don't have much better to choose from, but I'd go for Cahill for his experience.

Out: Walker, Young, Alli, Sterling.

In: Cahill, Rose, Loftus-Cheek, Vardy.

Like the look of that....

Did we watch a different game to the one analysied by Linekar, Shearer , Ferdinand and the others? All they could do was ooze praise for the fact tat we had won our first WC game for x years, we should have had three penalties, we outplayed them for 90 minutes etc.etc.etc.

To say that two of these commentators hold records for number of England goals scored, I wonder why it is that, Kane's two goals apart, we had ONE shot on goal.

And please, please don't ask me about the match commentators. Even my wife, sat watching for once,nkept saying 'What did he say?', and she used to work in the Ministry of Pensions when we got an influx of Scottish (lots of Glaswegian accents) miners in the early 60's

dele alli is bloody terrible ,gave the ball away several times before he even got Injured,any excuse to back a crapp player

only got the call up cus he plays for a top6 team,id have shelvey over him anyday 

On 19/06/2018 at 09:22, @owlstalk said:

I'd not disagree with that

To be fair I'd not mind if Southgate swapped the whole first starting eleven out and gave the others a game - don't see a downside to doing that

You would if we lost and had to beat Belgium to qualify, and we do have a history of that. Think Iceland, the team not the shop ;-)

Edited by Dronfield Blue

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Did we watch a different game to the one analysied by Linekar, Shearer , Ferdinand and the others? All they could do was ooze praise for the fact tat we had won our first WC game for x years, we should have had three penalties, we outplayed them for 90 minutes etc.etc.etc.

To say that two of these commentators hold records for number of England goals scored, I wonder why it is that, Kane's two goals apart, we had ONE shot on goal.

And please, please don't ask me about the match commentators. Even my wife, sat watching for once,nkept saying 'What did he say?', and she used to work in the Ministry of Pensions when we got an influx of Scottish (lots of Glaswegian accents) miners in the early 60's

Overall it was a decent ish performance. a 7 out of 10 performance from a really young team in very hot conditions

We usually freeze or just fall apart in games like that.

The second half WAS crap but fair play to the players for sticking at the task, forcing then issue and Kane for sticking it in at the end.

Because of how it happened you can put any spin on it you want.  I prefer to remain cautiously positive till they prove me otherwise.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

It is bizarre but not unusual. England fans and the British media never find the right balance.

There is so much talk of the lack of expectation this time but I think there is expectation but many are unwilling to voice it. 

I think many are expecting England not to match this unspoken expectation and are trying to get excuses ready.

A win in the first game is bloody brilliant! Something that has eluded many decent teams.

England's performance was not all bad or all good. There were problems that need addressing and potential to be fulfilled but now this can be done without the pressure that not winning the first game would have brought.

All is well!

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

It's about missed opportunities Neil.

We had an opportunity to win and we took it. The bottom line is the most important.

We have things to work on but that should always be the case. We know all this means is that we have three points. That's all it needs to mean.

14 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

It is bizarre but not unusual. England fans and the British media never find the right balance.

There is so much talk of the lack of expectation this time but I think there is expectation but many are unwilling to voice it. 

I think many are expecting England not to match this unspoken expectation and are trying to get excuses ready.

A win in the first game is bloody brilliant! Something that has eluded many decent teams.

England's performance was not all bad or all good. There were problems that need addressing and potential to be fulfilled but now this can be done without the pressure that not winning the first game would have brought.

All is well!

Yes, that's a fair and well balanced opinion, I agree.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:55, HubristicClapper said:

I personally would keep the players who under performed in, give them chance to redeem themselves.

Keep the subs who came on chomping at the bit.    

The rest of the side?   Rotate to keep fresh.

Panama won't do what Tunisia did - essentially cheat, play games etc but it still needs to be won.

Did you see what Panama did? They clattered the Belgian players for 90 minutes. Half of the "tackles" they made were assaults. Hazard got some proper treatment.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm genuinely scratching my head about anyone moaning about the England win

It's bizarre behaviour

I'm definitely not moaning about the England win, but at times the finishing left a lot to be desired.

Also I know that things equal out regards refereeing decisions ......................but ???