ENGLAND vs PANAMA | Official Matchday Thread

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm genuinely scratching my head about anyone moaning about the England win

It's bizarre behaviour

Agree with this - played well to start with then hit some nerves. Youngest team out there (I think) won their opening game, takes so much pressure and negativity away. Beat Panama and we are basically through.

To Panama, can see them running their arses to the ground so set pieces will be vital again - glad to see we have been decent with them. Hopefully do what they did v Belgium and be exhausted an hour in.

England win and through to the last 16.

21 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

It is bizarre but not unusual. England fans and the British media never find the right balance.

There is so much talk of the lack of expectation this time but I think there is expectation but many are unwilling to voice it. 

I think many are expecting England not to match this unspoken expectation and are trying to get excuses ready.

A win in the first game is bloody brilliant! Something that has eluded many decent teams.

England's performance was not all bad or all good. There were problems that need addressing and potential to be fulfilled but now this can be done without the pressure that not winning the first game would have brought.

All is well!

Great post.

Just goes to show we are a football mad nation and the media loves to stoke it up.

And its 'cool' to be cynical and have a moan..people use it in preparation for when we get knocked out and so they can say told you so

nothing wrong with being positive but realistic

On 20/06/2018 at 10:31, Buxtongent said:

Did we watch a different game to the one analysied by Linekar, Shearer , Ferdinand and the others? All they could do was ooze praise for the fact tat we had won our first WC game for x years, we should have had three penalties, we outplayed them for 90 minutes etc.etc.etc.

To say that two of these commentators hold records for number of England goals scored, I wonder why it is that, Kane's two goals apart, we had ONE shot on goal.

And please, please don't ask me about the match commentators. Even my wife, sat watching for once,nkept saying 'What did he say?', and she used to work in the Ministry of Pensions when we got an influx of Scottish (lots of Glaswegian accents) miners in the early 60's

0D27041E-03B4-4774-BB18-1B15457F3F58.jpeg

None of the truly big teams have got going yet, most have laboured to draws or the old goal win. Belgium the only ones that had a clear win, maybe count Croatia in there.

Not sure if that’s teams being defensive and working their Harris off, or the bigger teams not going full throttle to keep themselves fresh, but it’s only Russia that have smashed anybody’s back doors in at the moment.

Agree with the above, it’s cool to moan at England. First tournament in years that we don’t have expectation to go really far AND won the first game and people got their knickers in a twist. Crackers.

My Godson, at the World Cup with England, getting a hug from Gareth Southgate. They get on great. Gareth loves my Ben.

See attached article, doing the rounds on social media at the moment, about the leaked note Steve Holland is clutching.

5 seconds in on the video, after the ad. Gareth and Ben love-in

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/21/raheem-sterling-could-dropped-marcus-rashford-england-team-plans/

• Like 2

This should be on non match day for me.

This is a Sheffield Wednesday football forum and we have fans from Scotland, Wales and Ireland on here.

We may even have one or two fans from Panama too, how must they feel being ‘the opposition’ on a Wednesday site?

19 minutes ago, Rebowl Yell said:

We may even have one or two fans from Panama too, how must they feel being ‘the opposition’ on a Wednesday site?

FML. who gives a feck? if they dont like it then click the red cross in the top right corner. man up or GTFO. are people really that butt-hurt over a bit of football banter? its posts/opinions like this that is everything that is wong with the world and the media these days. again, FML.

Just now, steelerian said:

FML. who gives a feck? if they dont like it then click the red cross in the top right corner. man up or GTFO. are people really that butt-hurt over a bit of football banter? its posts/opinions like this that is everything that is wong with the world and the media these days. again, FML.

OMG! LMAO M8! I’m just thinking about the thousands of Scottish fans that follow Wednesday that don’t need to see their feed clogged up with Engerland guff. We are an international club with a well established international fanbase. Will we have one of these for Welsh Internationals or Irish? No of course not, because apparently those fans don’t matter IMO. FGS! Chillax M8! Think of other people for once in your life. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Something I don't get right? If a player gets fouled and it goes to VAR and is then found not to be a foul, why doesn't the appellant get yellow carded for simulation? 

No idea. It happened in the Iran vs Spain match, they checked to see if Costa had stamped on the goalkeeper and it showed that he didn't touch him and the goalkeeper had rolled around feigning injury but he didn't get a card for it.

10 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

OMG! LMAO M8! I’m just thinking about the thousands of Scottish fans that follow Wednesday that don’t need to see their feed clogged up with Engerland guff. We are an international club with a well established international fanbase. Will we have one of these for Welsh Internationals or Irish? No of course not, because apparently those fans don’t matter IMO. FGS! Chillax M8! Think of other people for once in your life. 

Sheffield Wednesday are an English football league club and this a thread on the English national team. It’s really not hard to figure out why it’s on here