ENGLAND vs PANAMA | Official Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

Win this one then rest players against Belgium.

We do not want to be going into the Belgium game needing anything.

Rashford for Sterling and Rose for Young would be my changes for Panama.

Yep I'd go with that too. Linguard got into good positions and just needs to nail the finishing aspect. Young didn't do anything bad I think but would still prefer Rose. 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

don't know who replaces them but young ,sterling & Lingard don't look up to playing at this level on what I saw last night ……...maguire reminded me of van aken can obviously play but got a mistake or two in him ,would hope that was a one game blip but if it wasn't i'd be having him out as well 

I think a lot of that was nerves especially in the first half. Hope he settles down now and it clicks. Still not expecting much from this england team. Be really happy if we made quarters. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

What about the Panama game tho? 

Any changes needed?

I personally would keep the players who under performed in, give them chance to redeem themselves.

Keep the subs who came on chomping at the bit.    

The rest of the side?   Rotate to keep fresh.

Panama won't do what Tunisia did - essentially cheat, play games etc but it still needs to be won.

Panama looked really poor so i would make plenty of changes to try and get the majority of the squad involved / given a chance.

Walker, Maguire, Young, Henderson, Alli, Lingard, Sterling all step down

Cahill, Jones, Rose, Dier, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek and Vardy to start with Alexander-Arnold, Welbeck and Delph coming off the bench.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Win this one then rest players against Belgium.

We do not want to be going into the Belgium game needing anything.

Rashford for Sterling and Rose for Young would be my changes for Panama.

If we finish second in the group we get Brazil in the next round. i would be looking to win all three games and make our likely progression a little easier.

Sterling is an absolutely terrible footballer.

How anyone could pay £50 million plus for someone with the technique of Sunday league* is beyond me.

The pool of English players is so small now that very average players are being selected & last night it was clear to see.

*no disrespect to Sunday league players!

26 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Panama looked really poor so i would make plenty of changes to try and get the majority of the squad involved / given a chance.

Walker, Maguire, Young, Henderson, Alli, Lingard, Sterling all step down

Cahill, Jones, Rose, Dier, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek and Vardy to start with Alexander-Arnold, Welbeck and Delph coming off the bench.

I’m all for giving the other players a chance, but Jones would be best sat watching the Panama game on my settee next to me

2 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Sterling is an absolutely terrible footballer.

How anyone could pay £50 million plus for someone with the technique of Sunday league* is beyond me.

The pool of English players is so small now that very average players are being selected & last night it was clear to see.

*no disrespect to Sunday league players!

I’m not a fan but he’s started and scored a hell of a lot for an excellent Man City side

11 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’m not a fan but he’s started and scored a hell of a lot for an excellent Man City side

True, but I can only base my opinion on what I see in an England context as its an England thread.

Playing for Man City he is surrounded by world class players like so many of his England team mates.

17 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Playing in a different position though I think. He's not good enough on the ball to play a number 10 like David Silva does at City as it showed last night. 

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If we finish second in the group we get Brazil in the next round. i would be looking to win all three games and make our likely progression a little easier.

I agree we should try to win all three. Tournaments are about momentum. It worries me that people want to rest players against Panama. We are England so we are more than capable of f**king this up. 

Beat Panama and make sure of knock out football and then asses the situation. 

Starting with 3 points is massive.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

How many of those goals scored were actually through his own quality though, and how many were put on a plate by his world class teammates? 

A bit like Wednesday - sometimes it's worth just pulling the trigger - keepers at all levels make mistakes. Get the ball in the box, give them someting to think about - if you can't then SHOOT !

There you are Jos - that's next seasons tactics sorted !