Do we think George Boyd...

We’ve got a few guys who I think are model professionals who have been bought because they know how to get promoted - Boyd Jones Abdi Fletcher - all good guys whose minds are all right but whose bodies aren’t what they were.

I’m old enough to remember the demise of legends of the game like Bobby Moore, Jimmy Mullen etc. It happens - we move on - but in terms of wages - they don’t! 

• Haha 1

Boyd came to Hillsborough at exactly the wrong time.   

We don't need him, he doesn't fit in with how we played at first, and then secondly under Jos in reality.

The guy is a player of undoubted skill and probably could cut it at a top 6 champ side, just - I don't see that being us.

He's no left wing back and where else will he be put in our side, barring a lot of players leaving?

It's a shame, but maybe age is catching up on him like a loovens, Abdi and pudil and Wallace, would have been a great signing a few years ago, but the problem now is his games all about running and energy which means if the engine is going he'll struggle to do what he does best. Hopefully with a strong pre season along with a few others and better fitness he can be very useful to the cause as a few others that were kind of left out in the cold until Jos took over. 

For me, I always liked Boyd especially from his days at Peterborough.  

There is a thread on here somewhere where I posted that we should sign him up.  That was sadly around the same time we had no money. 

Personally I think Burnley have had the best out of him. All that running no doubt will have taken it's toll on the body.  

I think when we signed him, we tried to fit him in wherever, given our transfer policy at the time which enabled a third party to take charge of our transfers.  

Put Boyd in a system he is more familiar with and we will reap the rewards.  

I think Boyd could take up a similar role as we saw with Wallace.  

His experience could prove vital. 

decent player who when he comes into the team can do a competent  job which is what you want from a squad player ……...probably not worth the wages he gets for being a back up but that's not his fault .

19 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

...will be able to pick up the form that saw him cover the most distance in the Premier League just 18 months ago and who has been part of several promotion winning sides.

Or his he on the wane?

Do he find a place in the team if we stick with 3-5-2?

ererege.png

He's a squad player for sure.

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ll be very surprised if he has a decent time at Wednesday, like Rhodes, he hasn’t been good for a couple of years

he played 36 games in the prem for burnley in 16-17 and hard to imagine dyche would have done that if he wasn't very good ……..he is what he is , a hard working flank player who we probably didn't need but like I said about his wages that's the clubs fault not his . 

22 hours ago, CLswfc said:

So what you are saying is that Nuhiu is good enough short term. Hows that work. Put it another way, if we have a load of short term injuries that would be fine, but like last season where we had loads of long term injuries, Nuhiu would   no good. Ok got that. WTF:

Nuhiu was excellent towards the end of the season dont get me wrong and he deserved a new contract. But for the last 3  years before that he was a joke, and im sure that with all our forwards fit he wouldnt be in the starting 11. Its just my opinion that we wouldnt make top 6 with him as our main forward

20 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

May I please refer the honourable gentleman to Cardiff City's squad on paper last year.

Cardiff’s defence on and off paper was far better than ours! We tried to sign 2 of them,  one of them turned us down and the other wasnt allowed to come

To be fair to Boyd he obviously wasn’t fully fit last season. The games he played in the last third of the season showed a player struggling to maintain his energy levels for the whole game. He seemed to have little purple patches then he’d go missing.  As a player there’s nothing worse than being judged when you know you aren’t fit; hopefully we’ll see a different player next season,but at 32 there’s always the possibility that he’s lost that half yard of pace that makes all the difference at this level.

20 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Looks like a player who's age is catching up with him to me, legs have gone so it isn't a situation that's likely to improve. Move him on if possible

This. Nail on the head here for me. When he signed I thought that was a good signing for us.

When I say him play for us I could not believe how slow he was. Opposition players were just pushing the ball past him and running past him with ease. It looked like he was running backwards in quick sand. What really baffled me though was his legs looked completely gone. He made his name as a high energy player but there was nothing there. He seemed to be struggling massively to get up and down.

out of all the players last year he was the one I was most disappointed with. I would love to offload him but honestly don’t think anyone will come in for him. Would love to be proved wrong though.

We signed 30+ years old on Premiership wages whose biggest wuality is that he works really hard. 

If we are looking to pay someone 20-30k a week, it should be someone capable of making real difference, or someone whose value will rise, and will earn us money along the line.