Do we think George Boyd...

On 02/06/2018 at 21:50, Stoop said:

I like how it says CC told him to calm down

lol

It was a truly mind boggling statement. 

Telling the player with the highest running stats in the Premier League to run less.

I think even his biggest fans must have been starting to question him at that stage...

Like others have echoed - how did he go from a starter in the Premier League to on our bench and unfit in a year? HOW? 

But - he's certainly not an out an out wing back and he looks like he's running in sand at times, I think his time is numbered... 

I'll say from the start I wasn't exactly overjoyed with the signing, thought personally he's another guy with a few years left at this level, on good money.

I don't see a role for him personally if we play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. I think he has more of a role in a 442 or 451, but as a squad player, rather than a first choice player.

On 02/06/2018 at 13:15, Lord Snooty said:

...will be able to pick up the form that saw him cover the most distance in the Premier League just 18 months ago and who has been part of several promotion winning sides.

Or his he on the wane?

Do he find a place in the team if we stick with 3-5-2?

ererege.png

Get rid.

How old is he? 

32/33? 

Sadly, I can attest to the fact that you lose what pace you have at that age. 

Felt like I was running in treacle at times when we played at Hillsborough. Though tbf I'd managed to slightly tear my quad, it was reyt hot and I was recovering from a bank holiday on the beer and gin. 

On 02/06/2018 at 13:40, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was happy with the signing of Boyd last summer, as I thought he'd offer a hard-working, high-energy option on the flanks. As the season went on, however, the wait for him to find his feet and hit top form turned into the realisation that it just wasn't going to happen for him.

That's not to say that he couldn't still be a handy player at this level if played in the right system, but unless we revert to a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, I can't see where he fits in as a regular first choice. With the way Luhukay had us playing for much of the second half of last season, assuming we sign a couple of wingbacks, Boyd wouldn't be getting much of a look in even from the bench.

It remains to be seen whether Luhukay identifies something in Boyd that he can work with, and if he does, I'd back Boyd to give his all to make it work, as he's always struck me as a player with a great attitude throughout his career. If not, then it might be best all round if we're able to free up his wages for a player who's more likely to excel in our new system(s).

He problem was CC telling him to calm down his body can’t no longer fulfill his old habits due to being made to slow down 

Definitely not quite what he was but you would not expect it at his age. Must admit liked his attitude, played out of position, still knows where net is and gave his all in every game. If as suggested we have different line ups for different styles I suspect he will feature in one of the configurations Jos has in mind. Think he is a player that will not played twice in one week if we have sufficient bodies available.

31 minutes ago, OneDavidHirst said:

If it's possible yes. He looked knackerd in the first 10 minutes of every game, played like it as well.

A year  to run on the deal. 

£15/20,000  per week.

What's that..maths not , suit but somewhere in the region of £1m. 

Just to get him off the books. 

Guest Arcadianrocket

Boyd is a decent squad player, not a left wing back mind. Would be better in the middle.

Had Reach and Boyd playing in wrong positions majority of second half of season.

Boyd does not have the speed to play wing back, like Reach and Reach does not have the vision and passing/shooting ability of Boyd for the middle. (Yes I saw Reach two stunners,

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

A year  to run on the deal. 

£15/20,000  per week.

What's that..maths not , suit but somewhere in the region of £1m. 

Just to get him off the books. 

That's where KM comes in and can hopefully do a deal to get someone to take him. Along with several others already mentioned in this thread.

Won't be holding my breath though.

Edited by OneDavidHirst