Do we think George Boyd...

...will be able to pick up the form that saw him cover the most distance in the Premier League just 18 months ago and who has been part of several promotion winning sides.

Or his he on the wane?

Do he find a place in the team if we stick with 3-5-2?

ererege.png

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Like with a few players, let's see how things stand after the pre-season training and warm ups.

I can't say I've followed him his whole career but from what I've seen of him in a Wednesday shirt he just looks like a pretty average footballer. When he's played he's not offered anything in particular. Wallace had a cracking left foot and was a big game player; Reach has versatility, a massive engine and carried us at times last season; Marco has a bit of speed; FF has everything and Boyd has... long hair?

Personally think he’s surplus to requirements along with Palmer, Fox, Abdi, Jones & Rhodes.

I don’t think he suits Jos’ new system and I’ve been unimpressed with him as a player. Wallace was a much better technical footballer. 

Unfortunately, like many of the above, I think we are stuck with him.

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

...will be able to pick up the form that saw him cover the most distance in the Premier League just 18 months ago and who has been part of several promotion winning sides.

Or his he on the wane?

Do he find a place in the team if we stick with 3-5-2?

ererege.png

Hes not good enough!

I was happy with the signing of Boyd last summer, as I thought he'd offer a hard-working, high-energy option on the flanks. As the season went on, however, the wait for him to find his feet and hit top form turned into the realisation that it just wasn't going to happen for him.

That's not to say that he couldn't still be a handy player at this level if played in the right system, but unless we revert to a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, I can't see where he fits in as a regular first choice. With the way Luhukay had us playing for much of the second half of last season, assuming we sign a couple of wingbacks, Boyd wouldn't be getting much of a look in even from the bench.

It remains to be seen whether Luhukay identifies something in Boyd that he can work with, and if he does, I'd back Boyd to give his all to make it work, as he's always struck me as a player with a great attitude throughout his career. If not, then it might be best all round if we're able to free up his wages for a player who's more likely to excel in our new system(s).

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

56 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Like Reech and Nuhiu were not good enough?

Here we go again. I've heard of Nuhiu but who is this Reech fella. 

13 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Nuhiu isnt good enough long term, he had a great last few games but do you honestly think were going to come top 6 with the likes of Nuhiu and Boyd in the side?

We've already been in the top six twice with Nuhiu, so yes, I'd say we can do it again. Especially when he's confident and not being attacked by his own fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Nuhiu isnt good enough long term, he had a great last few games but do you honestly think were going to come top 6 with the likes of Nuhiu and Boyd in the side?

So what you are saying is that Nuhiu is good enough short term. Hows that work. Put it another way, if we have a load of short term injuries that would be fine, but like last season where we had loads of long term injuries, Nuhiu would   no good. Ok got that. WTF:

Brought in by a coach who didn't know his best position then tried to shoehorn him into his playing style. If you play to his strengths I'm sure he will perform. It's more a case of are his strengths in the playing style of Jos.

As for being past it, you don't become the player to cover the most ground in the most demanding league in the world to being past it the following season. That fitness drop takes time and it's more to do with lack of games and then playing out of position.

Like a few others, despite Boyd's age I thought at the time given his record and appearing to be a hard working player in the top flight, that he was an exciting signing. Disappointing how it's turned out, like the Rhodes signing but the difference with Rhodes was that Boyd was actually playing, fit and seemingly confident, whereas Rhodes was the opposite. I won't be surprised to see both axed to free up some wages for younger players but if they do stay, let's hope Jos can get something out of them and get their confidence back like he's remarkably done with some other players.