Left Back

Guest wilyfox

Pudil served us well, but I doubt he has the legs for wing-back anymore. It appears Jos has no intention of playing Reach there. Fox and Boyd aren't good enough, so it's an important position to upgrade this summer.

Someone said we are keen on Morris at Scunny. For that position or in midfield, I do not know. I'd have though he'd want the same role as Reach in midfield, so maybe LWB. My first choice would be Scott Malone from Huddersfield if they stay up. He's in and out of their team, and they may want to upgrade themselves. 

Edited by wilyfox

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

I thought Pudil was excellent when he was on loan. He was only half the player the following season.

No way should we put reach in at LB/LWB, he's not a defender. He needs to be a winger ideally or at a push left midfield.

I'd like to see a hard tackling player who can overlap and put a cross in. Not sure we could afford one .

Plenty available on loan For what we want, young legs with the energy to get up and down at pace, most top Premier League clubs will have such a player available

You are right, we probably wouldn’t be able to buy a player like that outright Much rather borrow exactly what we need, than buy someone who isn’t quite right (Fox, Wiggins)

Ian Nolan or was he right back! Can’t remember. Weren’t bad in a crap team until his leg got snapped by Edinburgh. 

King and / or Worthington worked because of the system/formation and players around them. 

Individually they they we’re not brilliant; they might have struggled in a lesser team at the time. 

We we haven’t had many good left backs to be honest 

5 hours ago, HootHoot said:

Does anybody remember the last truly quality LB that we had?

It has been a position we have lacked depth and quality in for a couple of seasons now. Pudil did a job for us, but with him shifting to CB, we are in desperate need of a new left back.

So, realistically, what would be our options for a left back for next season?

Ray Blackhall 

8 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Reda Johnson was good for the level we were at in League One as was Pudil in his first season, definitely an area we need to improve on in the summer especially if we are sticking to the wing back system. 

Should have built England's World Cup team around him, we'd walk it with him in the team.