Mick McCarthy

3 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

I hate the man but he is a great manager.

I am not in a hurry to get rid of Jos. I am still giving him a chance.

It not my decision though.

Everyone on OT thought it was. Disappointed now!

lol

Appalling choice. This myth about knowing English football is doing my head in. There's no such thing as "English football" any more. With so many foreign footballers and managers it's ridiculous to even contemplate that phrase. As for McCarthy personally, the majority of my family and friends are Ipswich fans, and they were ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE to get rid of him.

• Like 1

To put it into context, we spent more on Abdi that McCarthy has done in total in the last 6 years. Best manager in this league, bar none, and with our budget in the last few years we'd be in the Premier League by now. 

Problem is, he hasn't got a 'wacky' name, from a foreign country, so half the fan base aren't bothered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Appalling choice. This myth about knowing English football is doing my head in. There's no such thing as "English football" any more. With so many foreign footballers and managers it's ridiculous to even contemplate that phrase. As for McCarthy personally, the majority of my family and friends are Ipswich fans, and they were ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE to get rid of him.

How many of our projected starting 11 are foreign if you class any foreign player as being outside of Britain and Ireland?

Westwood ROI

Hunt ENG

Lees ENG

Vernancio POR

Van Aken NED

Reach ENG

Lee ENG

Hutchinson ENG

Bannan SCO

Hooper ENG

Forestieri ITA

3 players from 11 with others such as Fletcher, Rhodes, Wallace, Boyd, Wildsmith, Thorniley, Palmer, Jones, Clare on the sidelines, I'd disagree about the foreign populous you claim.

You don't have look too far to see how a English/British manager can motivate and get the best out of the English/British mindset. Wilder has a rag tag/bobtail of players punching well above their weight and that's largely down to how he gets them and knows how to get the best out of players in this country. Of course there will always be counter arguments and exceptions but there's a reason why the argument raises it's head and managers like MM know how to get a squad playing.

Yes he may have not have achieved a great deal recently but he has carried that Ipswich side as long as he could with little backing. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

Would say a big fat YES from me to Big Dingle Mick.

No.1 reason would be he is a good manager and a proven CV at this level. Although I agree his football is a but functional at times.

But another reason would be it would be nice to have someone from the local area working at the club in a key position. I know it doesn't matter to some but feel Sheffield Wednesday (and a lot of other clubs) have lost that connection with the local area they once had.

IF we are looking for a new manager for next season then MM should be at the top of the list for several reasons

• Vast experience of the league
  • Promoted from the division twice as champions
  • Knows the area / fanbase
  • Good with budget
  • Great recruitment record
  • Strong Leader & character

18 minutes ago, vulva said:

To put it into context, we spent more on Abdi that McCarthy has done in total in the last 6 years. Best manager in this league, bar none, and with our budget in the last few years we'd be in the Premier League by now. 

Problem is, he hasn't got a 'wacky' name, from a foreign country, so half the fan base aren't bothered. 

Not bothered because he's a bell end.

There is nothing to suggest he can achieve anything on "a budget" - look what he got promoted with twice before, both squads were considerable.

Edited by HubristicClapper

31 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Not sure why they are. They'd have been relegated years ago if it wasn't for him.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

17 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

How many of our projected starting 11 are foreign if you class any foreign player as being outside of Britain and Ireland?

Westwood ROI

Hunt ENG

Lees ENG

Vernancio POR

Van Aken NED

Reach ENG

Lee ENG

Hutchinson ENG

Bannan SCO

Hooper ENG

Forestieri ITA

3 players from 11 with others such as Fletcher, Rhodes, Wallace, Boyd, Wildsmith, Thorniley, Palmer, Jones, Clare on the sidelines, I'd disagree about the foreign populous you claim.

You don't have look too far to see how a English/British manager can motivate and get the best out of the English/British mindset. Wilder has a rag tag/bobtail of players punching well above their weight and that's largely down to how he gets them and knows how to get the best out of players in this country. Of course there will always be counter arguments and exceptions but there's a reason why the argument raises it's head and managers like MM know how to get a squad playing.

Yes he may have not have achieved a great deal recently but he has carried that Ipswich side as long as he could with little backing. 

I was talking in general. The Englishness of our team is irrelevant. Do you not think that British players have learnt anything from their foreign counterparts and managers in the last 20+ years? Do they have to rigidly stick to playing an "English" way? Do foreign managers who come to our country suddenly abandon their principles and play an "English" game? Of course not. English football and it's mentality has gradually been eroded since the inception of the Premier League. Just because we have a majority of British players is irrelevant.

Come back here after a year of McCarthy and try and argue why players like Forestieri, Bannan, Hooper, Reach no longer want to play for the club. 

7 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Not sure why they are. They'd have been relegated years ago if it wasn't for him.

For outsiders looking in people are saying exactly the same thing and questioning why we wanted rid of Carlos.

Edited by Hitcat

3 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Agree with you 100% .

2 hours ago, watty said:

100% correct .

2 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

Yes, 100% need someone who knows this league and how to get out of it.

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I agree 100% with this.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Yes 1000%, exactly the type of manager we need right now IMO. 

STRIKER WINS!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

A lot of our lot didn't want Warnock for the same reason. However he would have had us promoted by now if he'd have been backed by DC as Carlos was. Also this supposedly hatred stuff is all a bit unproven to be fair and in my opinion totally irrelevant.

I believe it is relevant. Am I right in thinking you are saying Warnock isn’t disliked by us really ? . We aren’t stupid he is a top manager in this division and respect in abundance for that , The man has , over the years made it quite clear how much he loves the blunts so in saying that he must dislike us . I’m not from Sheffield but for me to have Warnock as our manager just doesn’t sit with me regardless of the potential , stuff him we are better with more class and will be promoted without the likes of him .

4 hours ago, Kanye West said:

It’s been confirmed that he’s leaving Ipswich at the end of the season. 

Should Jos not be here, would anyone take Mick? I think I would. 

Not a chance. What is the fasination with this guy and the urgency to get rid of JL. Strange.