Mick McCarthy

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Me too mate . He is a local lad and knows how much the club means to the fans. 

Hes a local to Barnsley pal. Its different when folk on here pile into our neighbours with the 6 finger syndrome etc but now hes one of us if thats what your trying to say. Fickle FFS.

IMO we need a manager who knows this league and that hasn't been the case with the last two.
McCarthy has been around long enough to know which players are needed and who doesn't fit in and has experience of the transfer market.
I would welcome the opportunity to see him in charge for a couple of seasons

12 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They aren't at all.

Funny, but there's a whole host of people that are, particularly in light of what he's done at Swansea and the fact he took us to two playoffs. Just have a browse of Twitter if you don't believe me.

Edited by Hitcat

4 minutes ago, Cypriot Owl said:

IMO we need a manager who knows this league and that hasn't been the case with the last two.
McCarthy has been around long enough to know which players are needed and who doesn't fit in and has experience of the transfer market.
I would welcome the opportunity to see him in charge for a couple of seasons

The league has changed a lot in these last few years, so I’m not sure he now knows what’s needed The fact that he wanted Rhodes, suggests my fears are well grounded

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

The league has changed a lot in these last few years, so I’m not sure he now knows what’s needed The fact that he wanted Rhodes, suggests my fears are well grounded

Someone better tell Warnock at Cardiff coz he must have the same problem?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Someone better tell Warnock at Cardiff coz he must have the same problem?

Warnock, who like McCarthy, I also have a soft spot for, is a bit more switched on to what’s happening Still wouldn’t want either of them at Wednesday

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Warnock, who like McCarthy, I also have a soft spot for, is a bit more switched on to what’s happening Still wouldn’t want either of them at Wednesday

I would disagree slightly and say that I think Mick is doing as well as he can with Ipswich’s current budget. Warnock has had more money to spend this season and has been able to get hold of better players for a promotion push. Plus he inherited Zohore who is now worth over £10m apparantly (not by me).

It would be interesting to see what Mick would have done with that Cardiff team and budget this season, and what he would do with us.

Right now I would feel more confident with Mick in charge of our transfers in the summer than Jos, however that is only based on a gut feeling and I hope it’s proved wrong in the summer 

4 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

In the minority here but I don’t like his style of play and it wouldn’t be affective in the division above , so it’s a no from me anyway depends how long Jos is contracted for , he’s not been that bad , has he ? 

To suggest that McCarthy’s style of play won’t work in the Premier League (even though he stabilised Wolves at that level for a few seasons), is a bit of a moot point IMO.

We haven’t been in the Premier League for nearly 2 decades.

The club just needs a manager that can get us promoted (that could be Jos but McCarthy’s Championship record speaks for itself).  Worry about the Premier League once we ever get promoted.

3 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Why are we 'bigging up' Mick McCarthy FFS - have we really sunk that low?

Jokanovic for me.

The only club’s likely to be tempting the likes of Jokanovic away from Fulham are in the division above.  Fulham will be promoted in a few months IMO.  Coming here would be a step backwards for such a promising young manager.

2 hours ago, HubristicClapper said:

Not a chance would I want this absolute turd of a man anywhere near Wednesday.

Why is this even a discussion whilst it's clear that Jos is in a firefight this season and should be given the close season and beyond.

Because McCarthy is a proven Championship manager with a track record of getting teams in our division promoted.  And he’ll be a free agent very soon.

15 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

We already have a manager...

Gosh we do run into some decisions sometimes.

Jos I'm presuming will require some compensation if we sack him. I doubt we have the funds for that without further messing up our FFP.

Not sure he has a contract and if he does it doesn't go into next season.

Does anyone know for sure ?

10 minutes ago, The Captain said:

To suggest that McCarthy’s style of play won’t work in the Premier League (even though he stabilised Wolves at that level for a few seasons), is a bit of a moot point IMO.

We haven’t been in the Premier League for nearly 2 decades.

The club just needs a manager that can get us promoted (that could be Jos but McCarthy’s Championship record speaks for itself).  Worry about the Premier League once we ever get promoted.

The only club’s likely to be tempting the likes of Jokanovic away from Fulham are in the division above.  Fulham will be promoted in a few months IMO.  Coming here would be a step backwards for such a promising young manager.

Because McCarthy is a proven Championship manager with a track record of getting teams in our division promoted.  And he’ll be a free agent very soon.

So you want to sack Jos , if his contract runs beyond this season then ?.

3 hours ago, ka58 said:

I'd carry Mick McCarthy up from Ipswich on my back whilst riding a unicycle - pick Jos up on the way and carry him to Manchester airport  - and then drop Mick off safely at Hillsborough.....

donkey.gif

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I would disagree slightly and say that I think Mick is doing as well as he can with Ipswich’s current budget. Warnock has had more money to spend this season and has been able to get hold of better players for a promotion push. Plus he inherited Zohore who is now worth over £10m apparantly (not by me).

It would be interesting to see what Mick would have done with that Cardiff team and budget this season, and what he would do with us.

Right now I would feel more confident with Mick in charge of our transfers in the summer than Jos, however that is only based on a gut feeling and I hope it’s proved wrong in the summer 

I’m not really contradicting what you’re saying, both managers are proven at this level, and as I said, I actually like them

Perhaps I feel the same as I do about Jordan Rhodes. It’s right what most say, about his record at this level, and he seems a nice bloke, but I didn’t feel he was right for Sheffield Wednesday at this time He probably isn’t the busted flush, myself and others, have made out

Three years ago, I’d have snapped your hand off, had you said, we’d be managed by Mick McCarthy, and could call on the services of Jordan Rhodes

Now, I’m not so sure. We’ve moved on from that, or at least we should have done, until the project stalled It’s easy to look at some of our recent recruitment, and think that somebody like McCarthy could get the best out of Fletcher, Rhodes, and even Winnall He may well do, but for me, those were the signings where things started to go wrong

So rather than bringing in a manager who can perhaps get them playing again, I’d rather build on year one’s team

Edited by gurujuan

5 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

A lot of our lot didn't want Warnock for the same reason. However he would have had us promoted by now if he'd have been backed by DC as Carlos was. Also this supposedly hatred stuff is all a bit unproven to be fair and in my opinion totally irrelevant.

Colin getting us promoted is pure speculation to be fair. Why would a blunt want to get us promoted?

Or a single for that matter :-)

Going to be spoiled for choice.

McCarthy, Pearson, AVB, Bilic, and Holloway all in the mix.

Still think we shouldn’t give up on Ranieri though. After a very average season in the French top flight, Wednesday’s fecking off of FFP will be a huge attraction to him.

Oh yeah, and Megson.

Edited by theowlsman