Sam Winnall

Just now, s8owl75 said:

He's our player, let's bring him back for preseason for a fresh start under Jos. 

He's never been given a proper chance at Wednesday. 

Just look at the comments of their fans, natural goal scorer, great work rate. 

It wasn't his fault we bought Rhodes at the same time. 

Totally agree.

He wasn't given a fair chance IMO, so we never saw his real potential.

Dingle fans were gutted when he left.

Just now, ElsecarOwl said:

Dingle fans were gutted when he left.

They were in a proper hissy fit because he signed for us,they were wishing him well if he signed for any other bugger,then,when some barnsley legend passed away,they gave him and swfc dogs abuse for releasing a picture of him signing,despite the fact neither he or swfc released that picture.slightly off the topic,but hey.

On 24/03/2018 at 13:56, DJMortimer said:

That's fine; he's a decent player. But what about relationships with the rest of the squad, especially Forestieri? I know they're only rumours about his personality but similar stuff was heard from Barnsley as well. Usually when a loanee gets a significant injury he returns to his parent club, but we seem perfectly happy for him to stay at Derby. Given that he will be our player again in June, that is a little curious and suggest we don't want him here.

Quite possible DJM.  

Firstly, I know there were reports of a fight/challenge between Winnall and Nando on the training pitch whether true or not, however even if that was the case, surely the manager can bring them together and easily sort out any differences.  After all, they are highly paid individuals who should put the club first before any personal differences.  That can be resolved.

Secondly, the reason he still is at Derby is as per the terms on his loan deal.  That's my guess on why he hasn't returned.

And  finally, I know you like your stats, would you say with Winnall's goals to minutes ratio that he is worth keeping?  

Criminally mismanaged by Clueless. Glaring example? Scored away at Barnsley after getting dog's abuse the whole game, sticks it to Dingles fans then not even in the Matchday squad next game. Let's get him back here and see what Jos can do with him. Think about it, if Jos can have a similar effect on Winnall as he has on Nuhiu then we may have some player on our hands...

Strange position really as unless all parties involved know something we fans don't then he returns here at the seasons end. Similar to the Rhodes situation really here for Winnall the move has not worked out for different reasons but the same outcome. I agree it is stupid of him to open his mouth but on the flip side what is he supposed to say when asked that question? We do not know loads about Sam Winnall but what he has demonstrated is his honesty. He has been given the opportunity by Derby this year when he left clearly feeling very raw from his treatment at Hillsborough under the previous regime and has been working with a manager who knows him very well and how to get the best out of him. 

I personally am undecided on Winnall as a player he has his strengths but also his weaknesses, I am not fussed by his attitude as it is merely focused on winning and wanting to be the best he can be, in all honesty when you put things into perspective how would you have felt if you were one of the fit and healthy members of the squad last season and the start of this and were still being frozen out of the playing side and not making the match day squad ahead of players who could manage no more than 60 minutes a game. Remember at this time Rhodes was not scoring goals, Fletcher was only partially fit by his own admission and a week after he left Fernando required an operation. Would I like to see him back here yes, Fletcher is 31 Years old and his injuries in his time here over two seasons have meant he plays no more than half the games, he is also unfortunately the wrong side of 30. Hopper's fitness has always been unreliable but when fit makes himself virtually undroppable, Rhodes the move has just not worked for him and I would imagine there will be clubs coming sniffing in the summer. Fernando is a wonderful player but can also be utilized elsewhere (although in this current system could only be played as a striker). Joao has done well and taken his chance and Nuhiu is at the point still out of contract.  Personally I do not see the harm in him having at least next season with us, to regain his fitness and then get games under his belt.

Realistically his price will not drop from current stock as it is only Derby who will be interested in making the move permanent in the summer as he is tried and tested at that club, if this is the case it will only increase the asking price if he plays and scores. We either sell for 2-3 mill now or 2-3 mill next January/summer worst case scenario or perhaps more if he plays and scores. He does not appear to be the sort of player to sit on his heels and feel sorry for himself because and move did not materialize he will want to play if for nothing more than a move. 

Edited by matt_johno43

5 hours ago, kingsidney said:

Hooper had just come off a big lay off and arrived not fit and has continued to have as much time off as he does on. 

Not disputing that KS, but my post was in response to someone claiming we're always signing injured players which simply is not the case.

27 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Not disputing that KS, but my post was in response to someone claiming we're always signing injured players which simply is not the case.

Probably more accurate to say we always sign players who become injured. lol

On 25/03/2018 at 11:29, s8owl75 said:

He's our player, let's bring him back for preseason for a fresh start under Jos. 

He's never been given a proper chance at Wednesday. 

Just look at the comments of their fans, natural goal scorer, great work rate. 

It wasn't his fault we bought Rhodes at the same time. 

He's done his ACL, not a chance he will be fit for pre season. January maybe!

I'd say anything less than £5m (whenever that is) would be a disappointment, as he can score goals at this level and has proven so in 3 teams. There's also others I'd rather see leave before him.

Personally I'd like him to stay as I think he'd suit a Jos style team.  He can suit a 442, 433 or 352 for me and has a mix of attributes that I feel we lack in other strikers. But that all depends on how long he's out for and how fractured the squad is with him back in it following his fallout etc. The flip side to this is how much outs are needed at value so Jos (or whoever is in charge) can have an element of rebuild.

I hope to god there's no Butterfield swap, but eithee way I think we should do the same as they did to us and instead of giving up winnall (who has a realise value for me) just say Nah you're alreyt ta, but here's Fletcher and/or Rhodes for £10m plus Martin*. Cheers. Nice doing buainess. Haha.

* There's other players I'd rather have before him like Lawrence, Huddlestone, Davies, but I don't think we'd be that lucky.**

** Not that I think any part of the above swap/derby pants down scenario is real. If anything we'd probably throw in FF and Lee too just to ensure we get Butterfield. Haha

On 26/03/2018 at 10:45, gurujuan said:

Don’t want to see us bringing in players like Winnall, Rhodes and Fox ever again 

Those January signings have really set us back

One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things does not quite belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song?

• Haha 1

I'm hoping we didn't make a pre loan deal with Derby involving a swap for Butterfield. If so I'd tell them deals off as buttercup is useless and we'll take winnal back unless they just stump up the cash worth of the original deal and keep buttercup. The problem is the way we seem to have been doing business I wouldn't trust whomever is making the decisions.