Sam Winnall

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

For me he's a good player, but I imagine it will be a choice between keeping him or Forestieri following their handbags last year. As long as Forestieri stays, then even £3m with a decent sell-on clause is an excellent return on investment.

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I saw in the local Derby press today that Sam Winnall has said that he wants to stay at Derby next season which I'm sure won't come as much of a surprise to many on here but looking on the Derby fans forum, the majority of their fans want to sign him "as long as the price it right"

With all respect to Winnall it doesn't really matter what he wants. He's signed a contract to play for us so he returns here at the end of his loan. We decide if we want to sell him and for what price, he then gets the option to decide to accept or not. Same with Derby, what they want isn't important unless they want to offer us a deal we think is in our best interest.

Personally I'd bring him back and get him fit, prove he can still do the business and then sell him to the highest bidder.

2 hours ago, Animal said:

we sign injured players all the time and offer them silly money, if a team really wants a player they will pay what they want to, times have changed when someones is only worth a certain amount because of something..madine £6,000,000 FML

We don't sign them when they'll be out another 8 months though for £5m do we. They've got injured since joining.

Madine hasn't had 2 ACL injuries. Theres no guarantee Winnall will even come back from it the same player, hope he does but you dont know!

Not saying he's been treated as a king by the club, far from it actually,  but Winnall should keep his trap shut and opinions to himself regarding where he wants to be. Wednesday hold all the cards just hope we get the best business deal from it should the Sheep wanna sign him.

5m for Winnall is more than achievable. He’s a proven scorer at this level.

But before we get that he’s going to need to prove his fitness, either by playing with us or being out on loan somewhere.

Once he’s done that, it’ll be relatively easy to get that fee.

2 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

If Winnall is worth 5m, then Nuhiu is worth 4m and people just want to release him?

5m for a bloke with a serious injury is never going to happen.

you really think when both fit Winnall is only worth a million more,Winnall when fit imo is our best striker like I say imo

8 minutes ago, brando said:

you really think when both fit Winnall is only worth a million more,Winnall when fit imo is our best striker like I say imo

Absolutely entitled to your opinion. 

I can't understand how you could view Winnall as a better striker than Gary Hooper though. 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Much better than Rhodes. But if he wants to leave then so be it. Would personally like to see him given another crack here under Jos. But we could get a decent fee for him which would certainly help towards FFP.

Then again it wouldn't shock me if we've already agreed a fee with Derby and it's a fraction of his real worth. 

Iirc he had a falling out with Nando. So its one or the other I think. I know which one I would keep.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

With all respect to Winnall it doesn't really matter what he wants. He's signed a contract to play for us so he returns here at the end of his loan. We decide if we want to sell him and for what price, he then gets the option to decide to accept or not. Same with Derby, what they want isn't important unless they want to offer us a deal we think is in our best interest.

Personally I'd bring him back and get him fit, prove he can still do the business and then sell him to the highest bidder.

I agree with the sentiment but Winnall views, as with all players these days, will have an impact on the outcome.

What I don't understand is the situation with him receiving treatment at Derby. Whilst he's technically on loan until May, his injury layoff forecast appears to be until December. Surely this means he should be back at Hillsborough with the medical team planning his full recuperation programme, After all, he is SWFC asset and having another party dealing with his injury appears strange - what if they make the wrong call, would their PI insurance cover it?

What is in it for Derby him staying there, receiving treatment at their cost, but isn't going to play another game - or is he?

49 minutes ago, brando said:

My point was that If Derby are prepared to pay $5m for a player who will miss a lot of next season. Then a fit Atdhe must be worth $4m.

Sam Winnall might scrape $5m when he's fully fit, but i'd still doubt that.

Derby fan here. In my view we would like to keep him but I would be unhappy if we paid more than £3 million for him given his injury record and the fact he will likely still be out or only just coming back in to the team by the time next season rolls around. We have taken a punt on players with injury concerns before but the price has always reflected that. 

From a FFP point of view there are other areas of the squad I think we need to address before we splash big money on a striker, so if your club decides the price is more like £5 million we will just walk away and you will see him back at Hillsborough next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brando said:

What basis Derby barely played him and their fans only want him back 'for the right price' which is hardly a ringing endorsement...

4 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

His second ACL injury is a huge factor in his potential value.

We'd be going crackers if we paid £5m for a striker who was still injured for 6-8 months with a second ACL injury. 

He got the injury playing for them and carried on playing in the game he got injured even though he felt he had hurt himself.And then he has the cheek to say he wants to stay there and they will want him on the cheap probably using the injury as the reason.I was sorry to see him go at first but now i say good riddance .He hasn't even given jos a chance or katrien mere he's just made his mind up and as far as he's concerned that's it.There's a long way to go for derby yet and wether they want him or not its up to DC and KM if they let him leave or not.I'm glad KM is here now and we will stop getting ripped off left right and centre .

• Like 1