Injured Players - They do what they want?

I'd like to think if it was me I'd certainly be attending home matches. However I've been watching the Owls & following football in general for nearly 60 years & have heard many reports of players saying they hate watching matches when they can't play & don't attend. 

For me it shows a lack of team spirit and togetherness within the players at the club. Even at amateur level if some of the guys were out injured, not picked or working Saturday morning quite a few would come stand on the sidelines and watch,its what mates do!!. 

If I got injured myself I'd still go watch the lads and have the crack and take the mickey if they'd played badly, it's what makes a team, it just for me shows how we're just a bunch of highly paid individuals just turning up as and when to do the job if picked and that's it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

For me it shows a lack of team spirit and togetherness within the players at the club. Even at amateur level if some of the guys were out injured, not picked or working Saturday morning quite a few would come stand on the sidelines and watch,its what mates do!!. 

If I got injured myself I'd still go watch the lads and have the crack and take the mickey if they'd played badly, it's what makes a team, it just for me shows how we're just a bunch of highly paid individuals just turning up as and when to do the job if picked and that's it. 

But the players are attending games...

I suppose there's 2 sides to it. If you're ill do you go to work?

I think it was Cloughie who is reported to have said when he saw an injured player show up at the ground on match day 

something on the lines of why are you here? f@@k off, you're no good to me whilst your injured Son.lol

Edited by marshy

4 hours ago, ramone said:

One thing that has really wound me up over recent months seeing injured not supporting their team mates at matches. 

Barry Bannan was tweeting about how exited he was to go to Ikea when we were getting a thumping away at Brentford.

Poor Barry, I didn't realise he had such a serious head injury. Getting excited about going to Ikea, he might need brain surgery.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

I saw westwood at a recent game walking without a limp,he was with his son ,but left at around 240pm over bridge don't know if he was sticking around to watch game or he left to go home , not bothered really I'm more bothered about why we are getting players fit and then there having to do a months training before they are considered . the situation we are in players who have been training a few days need at least putting on bench. van aken played at forest ,so yet that's not that long ago ,yet he been fully training with squad for 11 days yet has to train for 2-3 weeks longer with 2 u23 game before been considered? why????? we are in a desperate situation ,players fit need playing ,get them super fit in summer not now. 

perhaps they don't want them to break down by rushing them ......maybe the ones who have stayed fit since jos arrived have been trained hard to improve there fitness as we know he said there fitness levels wernt where they should be  and the players who are returning need 2 weeks intensive work to reach the level of fitness that jos desires ......he could go the carlos route of stick a needle in them and if they can walk they play but that didn't seem very  successful .

6 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

I started a new job. Broke my ankle at Concorde park playing football. Called in to inform boss who clearly didn't believe me. 

Couldnt drive so walked 4.5 miles on crutches into offices. 

His face. PMSL...

Which ankle ????

And please don't answer, "mine " lol

At the end of the day, they are only here for a few seasons before they move on.  If a big club comes in for any of them with more money, then they would be off straight away (and soon be kissing their new teams badge)

They are not really interested in watching our match's on a saturday, when they can be out enjoying themselves.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Doesn't bother me as such.

But.... the idea that any man would choose to spend his Saturday shopping when he could be watching football is completley alien to me.

I like the thought of Bannan trying to the follow the arrows around Ikea without twiddling round and going backwards.

In my opinion, every contracted player should attend matches if physically able*

It's not just about showing support for the team.  It's about sending a message to the fans as well.  It's about showing solidarity and a united front.

It's not like these guys are working 9-5 and get one or two days off a week to fit in all their chores.

*obvious exceptions like family emergencies etc

I believe injured players should watch home games, if injuries allow. More to the point they should want to cheer on friends / team mates and to also show some solidarity to the fans. After all it's not as if they would have to pay to get in, is it.

Players will often say they love the club and are hurt as much, if not more, than the fans when things are going badly, etc,etc, etc.

Oh really, why not prove it then, when they have the chance to actively try to show they really do care. Also, If not at the game at least you would think injured players would listen to any radio commentary available, or watch streamed games, or view live text updates. If players are seen in public and just going about their regular business on match day, clearly many players may well be perceived, correctly or otherwise, that they are showing little care and respect to the club and the fans.

FF is the best seemingly uncaring example here, to our fans and our club, IMO.

In the late seventies when I was about 19 I'd moved to Chelmsford as a student apprentice at Marconis. I played for a team in the Marconi Social Club league

and became friends with a lad from Huddersfield who was way better than the standard, and had had a trial for Huddersfield, but not made it. He lived and

breathed playing football, but had no interest at all in supporting any team or going to games. I found it odd at the time, but it means I don't wonder about

players not going to games when they're injured.

10 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

In the late seventies when I was about 19 I'd moved to Chelmsford as a student apprentice at Marconis. I played for a team in the Marconi Social Club league

and became friends with a lad from Huddersfield who was way better than the standard, and had had a trial for Huddersfield, but not made it. He lived and

breathed playing football, but had no interest at all in supporting any team or going to games. I found it odd at the time, but it means I don't wonder about

players not going to games when they're injured.

Just read that and it came out in my head in the style of the Hovis advert with the music and everything.

The so called 'injured' players should go and support not just the team but the club. It also gives out a better message to the supporters that they are seen to be supporting there team. Whilst they do choose to miss games, it strengthens the supporters views of them being self centred and money grabbing barstwards which incidentally I'm not saying they are:picnic:

It seems that our players go on the sick list with the slightest knock. 

The manager is moaning this morning about three more players getting injured. Getting a knock isn't the same as getting injured. It's a physical game where players get knocked. 

How would these work shy players gone on years ago with nutters around like the entire Chelsea and Leeds teams? 

We never get any specifics about injuries. Players who haven't played are suddenly so injured they are out longer than someone with a broken leg. But we never get any more details 

There's something going on at Hillsborough regarding everything. We have umpteen players out long term which have been injured in training. That is tosh. What are they training for? The marines? 

There's so much going on behind the scenes. 

Ipswich refused to negotiate with Wednesday over Rhodes after they had "deep misgivings" (their words not mjne) about Wednesdays negotiating. What were wednesday up to? Ipswich are a straight club and won't get involved in dodgy (my assessment) dealings 

Im convinced that many of out players aren't injured but on the list for other reasons. 

We won't ever find out the truth. So we are left with speculation in the absence of Wednesdays coming clean. 

None of the speculation is groundless. 

I suspect our players will continue to go down as if they have been in the army training for ten years. 

We won't find out the truth. I suspect the truth would get wednesday into even deeper water 

Typically injured players used to be in for treatment and rehab Saturday morning then go down to the ground to watch and support the team.  

The OP has a valid point, but unfortunately it's modern football.  The players don't care about the club.