Injured Players - They do what they want?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ps - I thought that Jos had sorted this so that all players attended training, turned up at the same time, and went to support their teammates at games etc?

He may be trying to. But as i say, a pal of mine saw Abdi wandering through a park when we played Villa. Abdi is nearly ready to play... 

1 minute ago, ramone said:

Probably not pal. It would go a long way to see them all there though i think. It shows a togetherness. Plus, they get paid fortunes and all that results in what happens on the field on a saturday afternoon. The fact they dont have to turn up for games staggers me. 

Also, i'd want to turn up. You want to see what your team mates are like in a game situation. Being sat in the stands watching has surely got to be the best thing for that. Hardly surprising they look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch

I don't disagree; I don't know whether it's unusual or not really. A chap I know who used to be on Man Utd's books said they all had to attend every game but I don't think it's representative.

• Like 1

Think a generation or two ago it was the done thing for players to go to games in which they were not playing.

I think some even took it on themselves to support the youth team when they could, especially the ones who wanted to stay in the game in coaching.

I don't blame players for not going to the away games as 4 hours on a coach would not be good for the injured hamstring or whatever.

But think it would be a sign of team spirit if they attended home games.

• Like 1

Just now, PopePiusX said:

I don't disagree; I don't know whether it's unusual or not really. A chap I know who used to be on Man Utd's books said they all had to attend every game but I don't think it's representative.

Man Utd were the example we used when chatting about it. You always see them there. More often than not they're suited and booted, looking the part as we.. Again, I dont know whether is just exclusive to Man Utd or not.. 

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

Thats not a direct comparison pal... You were ill which means you couldn't attend work. Probably too ill to leave the house. The players aren't ill are they. 

They can go places. Ikea, the park etc. so they can turn up to Hillsborough.

If you dont see it as a problem then fine. It just bothers me. 

i'd broke my arm.lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ramone said:

One thing that has really wound me up over recent months seeing injured not supporting their team mates at matches. 

Barry Bannan was tweeting about how exited he was to go to Ikea when we were getting a thumping away at Brentford. A mate of mine saw Almen Abdi walking through a park on Saturday while we were getting defeated at home to Villa. Forestieri not even being in the country for the last 5 months etc. 

For me, it shows a total lack of respect to the club, their team mates, their manager and the fans. I'm sure at most clubs up and down the country, if you;re injured you still attend the games and cheers your team mates on. For me, if i was on the pitch and i looked up at the Directors Box and i saw Fernando Forestieri, Gary Hooper, Barry Bannan et al watching me, i'd put a right shift in knowing that i want to keep one of them out of the side when they're back fit. I'd also no want to embarrass myself in front of them. Its almost like if you're injured, you're allowed to collect your coin every week without any responsibility.  

Am i on my own with this or does it bother other people too? 

Just don't let it bother you, it's a one way love affair, is football.

The club and players don't care a single iota about us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ramone said:

One thing that has really wound me up over recent months seeing injured not supporting their team mates at matches. 

Barry Bannan was tweeting about how exited he was to go to Ikea when we were getting a thumping away at Brentford. A mate of mine saw Almen Abdi walking through a park on Saturday while we were getting defeated at home to Villa. Forestieri not even being in the country for the last 5 months etc. 

For me, it shows a total lack of respect to the club, their team mates, their manager and the fans. I'm sure at most clubs up and down the country, if you;re injured you still attend the games and cheers your team mates on. For me, if i was on the pitch and i looked up at the Directors Box and i saw Fernando Forestieri, Gary Hooper, Barry Bannan et al watching me, i'd put a right shift in knowing that i want to keep one of them out of the side when they're back fit. I'd also no want to embarrass myself in front of them. Its almost like if you're injured, you're allowed to collect your coin every week without any responsibility.  

Am i on my own with this or does it bother other people too? 

Does me, thought jos was strict, if what you're saying is correct then the whole club rules are a joke

I noticed at the last home game that there were a bunch of what I presumed to be injured / unselected players sitting in the back of the directors box, all looked like they had blue tracksuits on, haven't noticed them there before.  Couldn't tell for sure though, I was in the North Stand at the time.

• Like 1

some managers (Warnock for one ) don't like injured players being round the team on matchdays ...summat to do with them being on a downer and it 's not good when he's trying to get the squad into an upbeat frame of mind ........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think a generation or two ago it was the done thing for players to go to games in which they were not playing.

I think some even took it on themselves to support the youth team when they could, especially the ones who wanted to stay in the game in coaching.

I don't blame players for not going to the away games as 4 hours on a coach would not be good for the injured hamstring or whatever.

But think it would be a sign of team spirit if they attended home games.

To be fair, I think a lot of them do attend the reserve/youth matches, and not just because they're playing before anyone chimes in..

If we are paying them wages then they are employees of the club. If the injuries are bad then sure it's right for them to be resting

to make a good recuperation but if they are just not match fit and they can walk and talk then  DC could insist they turn up and

act as ambasserdors or do some promotional meet and greet with local business people with an aim of improving sponsorship or community

spirit. Or god forbid meet and greet us humble ordinary folk.

We're supposed to be one big Wednesday family. Some of these players obviously are just here for the money.

• Like 1

Just now, Owling Wolfe said:

Ao I take it from this post that the OP, if sick from work, would still go in and watch his mates do his job PMSL

I still go in and watch my work colleagues boxing components when I'm off injured. Sometimes when I'm on holiday too......

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captain Scarlett said:

If we are paying them wages then they are employees of the club. If the injuries are bad then sure it's right for them to be resting

to make a good recuperation but if they are just not match fit and they can walk and talk then  DC could insist they turn up and

act as ambasserdors or do some promotional meet and greet with local business people with an aim of improving sponsorship or community

spirit. Or god forbid meet and greet us humble ordinary folk.

We're supposed to be one big Wednesday family. Some of these players obviously are just here for the money.

Very good ideas.