Sheffield Wednesday - V - Aston Villa OMDT

Great OMDT Lord Snooty, and sorry to hear about the suffering you endured the night before the Milwall game.  But I'm not sure it was actually a good enough excuse for failing to service the needs of fellow Owlstalkers.  Some on here were left gagging for it all night (for an OMDT that is) while you were off doing what you felt you had to do.  You are not forgiven for the omission.

Difficult match today.  Probably the best we can expect is (yet another) glorious 0-0?  Or can lightning strike twice and we smash Villa like we smashed Derby.  Difficult to see where goals will come from unless Lucas puts in another stunning performance.  To be fair to Jos, he posibly did not play any strikers the other night assuming we would hardly miss them, given their scoring rate this season.  COME ON WEDNESDAY!!  UTO!!

Edited by Reyt Part Timer

Welcome back and great OMDT Snoots. A win today against one of the best teams in the league would be brilliant. Similar to the Derby game sometimes the hardest games that you don’t expect to win are the ones the players really step up and get the 3 points, praying that is the case today. Come on Wednesday!!!!!

Fantastic OMDT from Snoots as per usual - although the tale of night-time horror is harrowing indeed.

Off to catch the 7.03 to the concentration camp as usual on Saturday so, as nearly always, I rely on the great OT commentary!:laugh:

Don't tell  "Mr" Radford or he will confiscate my phone!

• Haha 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Morning team!

Firstly, my sincerest apologies for the lack of MDT for the Millwall game.  I had planned on doing one. But on the evening before, as the clock ticked on toward midnight I was consumed.  For Lady S had been released from prison and unbeknownst to me as I sat in my chamber tapping away the OMDT she was stalking he way home.  With my finger all set to press post I felt a draught as the door opened, like the chill wind felt on Titanic before the Iceberg hit.  Then the curtains around the bed were thrown back and there she stood. Her dark eyes soon had me in their gaze, and I felt the fear decision on me as I saw her tongue flicker briefly over her straight thin-lipped smile. A cruel hard gash in the face, compressed, inexorable and terrible. She had slapped it with lipstick, which was ill advised  for it was natures danger signal set as a warning to her victims. Alas it was too late for me for she was upon me before I had seen that awful face as it entered the light of the lamp. 

My reading glasses were knocked from my face as she clambered over me he face a blur, which with many a woman may be a blessing, but in her case on terrified me more, like a well done painting over which the artist has passed a wet and foul sponge. Blurred , discoloured, inhuman. Terrible. 

Anyway... resistance was futile. And I was taken.  Hopefully. That will be that for another lustrum.

Another night of horror was waiting for my fellow supporters who had made that long trip to SE16 where we took on Milwall without any recognised strikers on the pitch.  Much was made of the situation. Many people calling into question the sanity of the new manager, though his comments in this weeks press conference tended to suggest he was worried about taking the gamble of playing Joao and Nuhiu, his only two fit strikers when we have a run of 5 games in 14 days.

Of course it would be easy for us to say that professionals should be able to play that number of games in such a short space of time. But there is a difference between playing and playing.  Any players it's true can lope about the pitch with their hands on their hips. As we saw so spectacularly when Jay Bothroyd played for us. But it's a different thing to do it with any sort of intensity. That requires proper conditioning. Which...again is a question that has been raised not least when Jos  in his press said that thing were "not normal" in terms of fitness at the club. Perhaps we're reading too much into these statements. Perhaps they are simple answers, but just lost a little in translation. But it is hard, especially given what we have seen on the pitch with our own eyes ,not to start to wonder just what the bloody hell has been going on at the club. 

One thing about the current striker crisis (Though Rhodes is apparently over the worst of his bug) is that it has seen the reemergence of young George Hirst into the youth side. 

Has anyone mentioned that at all over the last couple of days?

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport and outdoor

Apparently he did very well, winning a penalty and scoring a lovely goal with his right foot . I suppose he was always going to wasn't he. 

While the conspiracies are abound....

..........was the Millwall game and the lack of strikers actually Jos trying to hammer home the point to the chairman that it was a daft situation with Hirst? Jos trying to force the issue?

Surely Jos isn't that conniving, wouldn't go to those extremes?  

Probably not. But on the internet every theory, no matter how outlandish, will find some believers. 

So who will play up top this weekend against Villa?

Wednesday - V - Aston Villa

No automatic alt text available.

Home 9/4   21/10   Away 13/10

Nuhiu and Joao look like starting. Unless Rhodes is deemed fit enough to play.  I suppose it depends what sort of bug he's had. If he's had a respiratory problem, chest infection etc he might not be risked. 

On the other hand if he's just had the runs then he might be all right to play with a decent cork. 

Which reminds me of that time Gary Lineker shat himself at the world cup and tried to clean his Arris by dragging himself across the floor like  dog.

Hirst jnr won't be selected of course having only just played his first game in what, 8 months? It'll be too soon. But given Jos' willingness to try the kids it wouldn't be  any surprise I don't think to see him around the squad in the next few weeks if he starts to show himself in training.

By God, what a fiasco the whole thing has been for all involved but lets not get into that again.

Villa...

Image may contain: 1 person

Steve Bruce (pictured) will give fitness tests to Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah. It'd be an undoubted bonus for us if either or both of those two had to sit it out. 

Grealish has been earning rave reviews this season for his performances and Gary Rowett has singled him out as one of the divisions top performers. 

He picked up a calf injury though in the second City Derby against Birmingham and Mr Potato head has been stressing the importance of not rushing players back before they are ready. (Visions of Kieran Lee sat there nodding in agrement. "Too right muthafucka, too right."

So we might just catch a break on that score. Birkir Bjarnason could deputise in the middle as he has done before. 

The Icelander brings a workmanlike drive to the middle of the park, but not the spark and Villa have missed the Solihull born Irishmans attacking and creative instincts since his injury, losing to Fulham (A) and drawing with Preston (H).  

.  No automatic alt text available.

Snodgrass, a player that we all love to hate might also be missing ...and that might open the door for Bjarnason to go wide left and young Josh Onomah to play in the centre.

Mind. That Grealish.  It's no wonder the boys got a calf injury.

I mean, look at those bloody socks!

They're strangulating his leg!

They're the shortest football socks I've seen. 

Aston Villa's Jack Grealish walks out with mascot Carter Carrington

Match facts

• The last three league meetings between the teams at Hillsborough have ended 1-0, with Villa winning twice and Wednesday once in the most recent match on the opening day of last season.

• Villa have not lost twice in a league season against the Owls since the 1996-97 campaign in the Premier League.

• After winning 11 points from their first 18 available at home this season, the Owls have won just 10 from a possible 30 at Hillsborough.

• All six of Aston Villa's away defeats this season have seen them concede at least twice.

• Sheffield Wednesday have scored just five goals in their last nine Championship games since the end of the December - as many as they have managed in just three FA Cup ties in the same period.

• Villa have won 17 of their 33 Championship games this season - already one more than they won in the whole of 2016-17.

Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa. Two of the great names in football. 

I don't mean in terms of success! I literally mean great names. There's so many Uniteds. And Rovers. But Sheffield Wednesday versus Aston Villa sounds like a proper English football fixture. How a fixture should sound. 

Do you know what I mean?

I think I need a decongestant, my head hurts. Face feels like a medicine ball. 

How will we line up?

I've genuinely no idea.

But whatever we do. Lets get behind the lads and get them over the finish line. 

No automatic alt text available.

COME ON WEDNESDAY

Brilliant mate. Not the football talk but the stuff about your missus had me in stitches!!

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Не будучи здесь в прошлый вторник, я дам русскому жаворонку еще одну попытку. Совы, Приходите в среду.

Nice try. Crap Russian. Давай! Мы победим!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Не будучи здесь в прошлый вторник, я дам русскому жаворонку еще одну попытку. Совы, Приходите в среду.

Translates into

Gi' stripes back

Great post M'Lord, Lady S sounds a right laugh.

Just read the MDT for once before my coffee and cake.

Where has Pauli gone, where is the Shadow llama? Where is Tay Tay?

I may never recover from this revelation that Snoots is now doing the MDTs.

ps - You’re not very lucky are you Snoots? Bring back Pauli before you take us down. lol

Sounds as though you'd been training the Carlos way. Never mind, Snoots, you should be ok under he new regime.

My head says  Villa win, my heart says 'Wed will smash 'em' I hold on to the hope that Wed. always seem to perform better against the better sides.

SNOOTS FOR POET LAYREATE,