SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY PRESS CONFERENCE - LIVE NOW

Tell you what, two weeks ago I was cautiously optimistic about his appointment... 8 and a half minutes in on this press conference and I'm pretty damn chuffed. Luhukay's chatting about contract length and value for money on transfers... which shows he's taking this stuff into consideration. Basically he's trying to build a team, his team, in a sustainable manner. Don't get me wrong, Carlos' attitude of seemingly being only the recommending party and then letting others deal with the costs etc. is exactly what you want from a Head Coach, but without a DoF ahead of you keeping check on all these things tranfer fees and contracts can end up being askew and potentially causing future budget shortfalls is more of an irrelevance as you're almost encouraged to only think about the here and now. Doubt Luhukay will be involved in the transfer dealings correctly, but it sounds like he wants to take these considerations when making dealings... something I never really got the impression was part of Carlos' job remit (rightly or wrongly). 

I think we have a manager that knows how to make smart signings and best utilise the resources he has. 

so far everything Jos has done has been excellent. In changing formations, motivating the fringe players, bringing in youngsters, dealing with the media in a professional way, and potentially signing players we have needed for a while. Plus the 2 results have been as good as could be hoped for really.

Saturday is obviously another stepping stone, and a battling draw would be another positive step in his tenure

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Lovin this manager so far

Breath of fresh air

This is how I see it... yeah it's great so far. It's like meeting a new girl and you have had your second date. She's shown you her boobs.. damnnn your thinking she's amazing. 

But let's see how it's goes in the next few months before we all get over excited.

I sound like a pervy Carlos haha

Did anyone else hear him say that he wants to avoid 'negavation' of the players?

Brilliant that !

I can see it being added to the dictionary in a couple of years.

Negavation : A concept, first used by manager of Sheffield Wednesday Jos Luhukay, coined in recognition of negative motivational effect on an individual. In his first season Jos reversed years of negavation amongst his team and won promotion to the Pemier league in the 2018/19 season.

3 hours ago, nortonwoodseatslives said:

Surprise - George Hirst has signed a new contract and is playing Saturday!

No mate it’s someone equally as good though heard from a good sauce it’s Ronaldo, he’s not happy at Real  promised him new contract but  gone back on their word.......true was on itv news last night.

Edited by Bark1062

1 hour ago, Bark1062 said:

No mate it’s someone equally as good though heard from a good sauce it’s Ronaldo, he’s not happy at Real  promised him new contract but  gone back on their word.......true was on itv news last night.

Not true unless HITC said it first :ph34r:

Was uplifted by press conference. To introduce more professionalism re training before games and after games. Obvious something wrong and clearly identified issues with our approach. If he receives backing he will do well. Also positive mentionfor youths, I expect some of them to raise game as now they know there is chance of future.

This guy knows what is required. No waffle just answers the questions. Maybe taking things back to basics with the players is what was needed. I enjoyed the start of the journey with Carlos but towards the end his interviews were mental, embarrassing and meaninless. I think next season Jos will have changed this team around. I can see some of the old guard leaving. A fresh start in August after a proper pre season. UTO.

On 19/01/2018 at 17:40, Skiptonowl said:

This guy knows what is required. No waffle just answers the questions. Maybe taking things back to basics with the players is what was needed. I enjoyed the start of the journey with Carlos but towards the end his interviews were mental, embarrassing and meaninless. I think next season Jos will have changed this team around. I can see some of the old guard leaving. A fresh start in August after a proper pre season. UTO.

No waffle just the occasional Stroopwafel! 

Carlos exceeded everybody's expectations in his first season and then the raised expectations and glory hunters thought it was inevitable that he could do it again and again, no matter what happened to his squad of free contract older players and crocks. 

The thing with Carlos was, that he was a left-field/surprise appointment for DC's first "head coach" and loads of Owlstalk self appointed football experts (no coaching badges, but played FIFA and Football Manager extensively, when not posting on here) started slagging off his appointment, even before he had got the lads kicking a ball. He was then lauded by the press, for his wonderful new entertaining attacking football, which was his remit from DC, but quite honestly was not actually what we were seeing until way after the press and many of the self appointed Owlstalk football experts (SAOFEs for short), had said we were, but this seemed to me to be more like the story of the emperors new clothes. The more people talked about the wonderful new style, the more people believed it, but when you actually watched the ball going backwards all the time, with precarious balls being played between defenders and midfielders, you did wonder what all the fuss was about...and then KABOOM! All of a sudden everything seemed to click into place, the songs about Carlos's dream, suddenly had some substance, Hooper had found his scoring boots and the team were suddenly playing with a purpose and a belief that took us streaking up into the play off final. 

Now despite all the fuss made by the SAOFEs, about how we should be doing well having spent so much money, Carlos really over-exceeded everybody's expectations in his first year in charge, mainly because even now, after another two year's spending, we are somewhere between 11th and 15th top spenders (based on prices paid for our squad players that the press have unearthed, some of which are based on appearances etc and some which are not, hence the 11th to 15th), which if you take away the £10-11.7M for Jordan Rhodes, would leave us firmly in the bottom spenders for the full cost of our 29 man squad.

Carlos took us to another set of play offs in his second season, with a hellish pile up of injuries, which affected his top goalscorers, his midfield and his defence, but without making any excuses, in an effort to keep the full extent of the injury problems away from the press and the opposition, he soldiered on, despite all the heavy criticism from the SAOFEs, many of whom said he/we would not make it and when we did, they all rushed off to buy their tickets for the "big games" against Huddersfield. Anybody outside the"emperor's new clothes" bubble knew that half the players that turned out for us in those two games, were unfit and not recovered from injury, yet the SAOFEs and their gobby followers proceeded to hound Carlos and certain players for the way that they played. Now ok, it is easy for us fans to say that young players could have been added to the squad afterwards, but Carlos had done yet another even more amazing thing in many peoples eyes, by getting us into the top 6 again with most of our star players from the previous season's miracle, injured, carrying injuries and under-performing because of that.

Season three for Carlos started in devastating fashion, with too many of the players deciding not to put a performance in for the team. Possibly because they had been made to play when unfit, possibly because new big wage earners had arrived (on free contracts yet again, but high wages), with their own collection of injuries and niggles, which would eventually add to Carlos's injury woes and in the end get him the chop. Ok the knives were out for him before the previous season's play off achievement, again after the failed attempts against Huddersfield and after the Preston game, with far too many fans even stating that Wilder was the better manager of the two! I lost count of the number of polls raised to try and show that Carlos had lost the fans support, but despite the small contingent of boo boys, it was never Carlos's capabilities, that got him the sack, it was the sheer weight of injuries that finished him off and the lifeline offered by Swansea, who could see that Carlos would be more than capable of giving them a chance of escaping from the bottom three of the Premiership.

I just hope that Jos can build on the momentum that he has got the team into at the moment, because without wins and without goals it will not be long before the boo boys have a new cause to get at. I though that it was ironic after four games without a goal and another nil-nil draw at home, that the fans (including me) were clapping off the players, who had missed 4 decent chances to score and taken part in a typically dour game against a Warnock side. This was just the kind of performance and result that would have had the boo boys in full voice just a few weeks before and now they were clapping along again as if everything was sorted.

Fickle or what? 

• Like 1