Wildsmith

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

A world away from where he was against Boro in the cup last season where he looked nervous. He was cool calm and collected the ball very well under pressure.

Bodes well.

Thats what regular first team football does for a talented young player.

We didn't give him a 5 year contract for no reason - the talent was always there.

For me, the most telling part was: He did not look out of place on the pitch tonight - he looked like he belonged as a first team player in the Champioshio.

19 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Genuine question - why would you have been critical of him over the lasr 12 months?

I just didn’t believe the hype around him he looked to have too many mistakes in him but this last month or so he’s been fantastic.

33 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Wildsmith will have his mad moments as any young 'keeper will, but he has all the raw talent to be our first choice for years to come. He's not far off Westwood's level in several areas of his game already, and if he continues to progress, then he could well be better than him in a few years' time. 

We're in safe hands with Joe.

I also rated Dawson not far behind him when he stepped in too.

1 minute ago, Nath83 said:

Great performance and fantastic potential. We'll do well to hold onto him.

Could do with just working on his kicking / distribution.

I think he’s at the right level for his ability at the moment and will probably grow with us as we progress. With him being a wednesday fan as well really can’t see any situation where he’d leave us in the next few years. 

2 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

I just didn’t believe the hype around him he looked to have too many mistakes in him but this last month or so he’s been fantastic.

I always put the nistakes down to nervousness - now he has had a decent run  in the team, he seems to fit there now  - even to the point of commanding his box on crosses. That was his 7th start in a row and the confidence shows. Don't forget, all his other performances have been in bits, only stepping in when Westwood was injured. Not easy for a young player in a key position.

Two penalty saves in a month as well!

2 minutes ago, Owlsman82 said:

I think he’s at the right level for his ability at the moment and will probably grow with us as we progress. With him being a wednesday fan as well really can’t see any situation where he’d leave us in the next few years. 

Plus the fact that his contract doesn;t expire until June 2022.

Excellent young keeper and great performance tonight - I wasn't suprised.

He always seems to look so calm and unruffled and will also only get even better in the next few years to come.

The Donaldson's save was a young man's save, with quick feet, back peddling quickly and excellent spring and agility shown.

UTO

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Think he's already better than Westwood and should be our No 1 even if Westwood doesn't leave,

Westwood is an international level goalkeeper. That shouldn't be overlooked irrespective of how well Joes doing. 

Either way, fantastic for SWFC

He's got to play regularly now till the end of the season, and be our No1 in our new look team next season. We'll done tonight Joe, bravo! UTO FTP. WAWAW 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

A world away from where he was against Boro in the cup last season where he looked nervous. He was cool calm and collected the ball very well under pressure.

Bodes well.

Actually he is not a world away from the keeper who played against Boro

And this is where fans have to be understanding - he's a young guy who despite having great talent - he will make mistakes

He is undoubtedly a fine prospect - but all young keepers have "those" moments - and Joe almost certainly will too

Displays like tonight show maturity beyond his years and if he can maintain that level and kick on then his future is extremely bright

1 minute ago, scram said:

And this is where fans have to be understanding - he's a young guy who despite having great talent - he will make mistakes

He is undoubtedly a fine prospect - but all young keepers have "those" moments - and Joe almost certainly will too

Displays like tonight show maturity beyond his years and if he can maintain that level and kick on then his future is extremely bright

Certainly different class from that £5 million prospect George Long lol

Just now, scram said:

By that I just mean he was coming and collecting crosses in the way that big kev used to. Away at Bramall Lane. At Boro and even Bolton he just looked very very unsure.

This is more like the player that played in that league cup run a couple of years ago.