Wildsmith

50 minutes ago, scram said:

Actually he is not a world away from the keeper who played against Boro

And this is where fans have to be understanding - he's a young guy who despite having great talent - he will make mistakes

He is undoubtedly a fine prospect - but all young keepers have "those" moments - and Joe almost certainly will too

Displays like tonight show maturity beyond his years and if he can maintain that level and kick on then his future is extremely bright

If we're being honest with ourselves, we're looking at a fairly innocuous second half of the season in mid-table. Barring a miracle, we're not going to reach the play-offs, while tonight was a key part of demonstrating the resolve necessary to avoid getting dragged into a relegation battle.

For me, this means we can afford for Wildsmith to carry on his learning curve and make a few mistakes - nobody will think the worse of him for the occasional slip as long as he carries on pulling out performances like tonight as well. We should be giving all our players with more room to develop a consistent run of games over this second half of the season - meaning Wildsmith, Joao, Clare, van Aken, arguably even someone like Morgan Fox. With more experience under their belt they're going to become more sure of themselves and start to iron out the mistakes.

It probably isn't going to work wonders for every single one of them, indeed it might become clear that some just aren't up to it. But if we can turn some of the above into consistent performers in time for next season, that would bode very well for what needs to be a promotion push, in lieu of this season's aborted attempt.

I’ve said for a long time on this site that Joe is the next Pressman at SWFC, maybe Westwood when fit will take they No1 shirt back for this season .... but his time is limited 

Wildsmith is a fantastic Goalkeeper 

He’s done really well the past few games. Hopefully he maintains the standards and keeps the clangers to a minimum.

At at one point today I started to wonder if he was intentionally kicking for touch, but the rest of his game was very solid.

I still maintain that he needs to be playing 40 games a year now. Either with us or someone else (on loan)