Burton's first goal

4 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

To e fair he ran past 3 midfielders before lovers needed to get involved, appar ntly 2 of them are central midfield grafters. If I was bullen I wouldn't have let them in the changing room at half time for that sort of defending. To make it worse they stood and watched again for the 2nd goal. 

Daniel Pudil going on his jollies from CB to the LW corner flag caused the second goal. 4 minutes after coming on. No words can describe how poor that is

28 minutes ago, jimmy shoe said:

Hutch was spoken to on Saturday and stated he was fit but left out of the squad !!

I can understand him being left out in the last match, he'd had 3 quick games just after coming back after injury. Too much risk of a further injury.

I wouldn't even risk him in the cup match in case of injury. If we are going to get in a relegation scrap I'd save him for league games when we will need his aggression. I'd be happy to go out of the cup if it guarantees Championship survival.

1 minute ago, prowl said:

I can understand him being left out in the last match, he'd had 3 quick games just after coming back after injury. Too much risk of a further injury.

I wouldn't even risk him in the cup match in case of injury. If we are going to get in a relegation scrap I'd save him for league games when we will need his aggression. I'd be happy to go out of the cup if it guarantees Championship survival.

Agreed ... definitely need him for the 12th . Just hope he stays on the pitch 

1 hour ago, ramone said:

My point is the fact you pick Loovens out when he was probably the 5th or 6th person to have to make a tackle. Not defending his contribution, just the fact you picked him out over everyone else is harsh. Captain or not. He was ill by the way and Bullen begged him to play...

Also, can you please explain what you mean by 'Surely even you can't defend Loovens'? 

In my post i criticised others except really Butterfield and he was on a yellow and if he goes in from his angle and misstimes it he's sent off. Loovens is the last line there and he bottles it, doesn't look bothered, clearly no effort. Shocking example for the captain to set. 

At the age of 15 and 16 I played in goal for my academy team with torn ankle ligaments. Strapped up and pilled up, couldn't kick the ball, could only throw, but I wanted to play and put in the best shift I could for me and my teammates. I'm sure a grown bloke of 30 odd with a bit of man flu can make a tackle and stand up and be counted for his team. I won't even bring in to the fact footballers are paid obscene money too.

To answer your question, sure no problem. When I say surely even you, I mean because the majority of posts I see from yourself you defend most things about the players and the club when they are not worthy of being defended.  So when it comes to something like the Loovens tackle as expected you were defensive and made an excuse for him (being ill). You may now reply with 'I never defended him just stated a fact'. Before you waste your time I will say your previous post came across as defending Loovens from the inexcusable. So as I say that's why I wrote 'surely even you'.

Fair enough? 

Can you answer this with a yes or no. Is what Loovens does for the goal a disgrace? Yes or no.

Edit: Stupid phone changing txt size 

Edited by jonesy87shef

6 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Their first goal on Monday has highlighted something we've all said for a long time. We need a big massive lobster in CM to stop them just waltzing through us. Someone who isn't scared of a tackle, but better then Hutchinson in that regards obviously, who would have put his foot in on Monday and we maybe wouldn't have gone 1 down.

People say we need pace. That we do. But its painfully obvious we need a bit more fight and aggression that we need speed. So come on DC, buy a good defensive CM.

Is this one massive enough?

07263909-D744-4625-9049-5F7B375BC083.thumb.jpeg.4de35566937be1dae4146c3412ef6c04.jpeg

14 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Their first goal on Monday has highlighted something we've all said for a long time. We need a big massive lobster in CM to stop them just waltzing through us. Someone who isn't scared of a tackle, but better then Hutchinson in that regards obviously, who would have put his foot in on Monday and we maybe wouldn't have gone 1 down.

People say we need pace. That we do. But its painfully obvious we need a bit more fight and aggression that we need speed. So come on DC, buy a good defensive CM.

Playing 41212 or anything similar then this DM becomes crucial.

Hutch is good when he's fit and firing but that's only ever half of the time so for me we need someone urgently. Jones and Butterfield should never set foot on the pitch again.

The questions are, while Lee and Bannan aren't fit, who plays with Reach in midfield? And what about defence while Lees is out as Loovens time is up.

Edited by osowl

41 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

What has happened to our defence? 

Not long ago they were breaking club records. 

we had a pretty settled back four and hutch in front protecting .......which just isn't the case now .is my take on it .

15 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Can't blame him for second goal tbf, had he have slid he'd have given away a foul and been sent off.

I'm not saying slide in to the player, but slide in front and put a block in, or at least make an attempt .. just walked arm in arm with him to the goal

Loovens has been painful to watch all season. His strengths were always his calmness, his positioning, his leadership, and his almost ledley king-esque defending..he used to glide around that pitch. He's never been a swashbuckler, or a strong in the air big man but next to Lees he worked perfectly.

We now desperately need to upgrade, his legs have gone he's like watching an OAP. We need a new captain and leader, a warrior. 

Venancio certainly doesn't look good enough for this league, Fox certainly isint, van Akens struggling. The whole defence at the minute is shambolic and all boils down to poor recruitment. Right now Lees when fit is the only defender I'd  say doesn't need upgrading.

Lees was our no nonsense assassin...and deals with the ball like its a hot potato.

Without him we have a back line of cultured relatively calm CBs In Loovens, Fred and van Aken, none of whom could be remotely described as hard nor can tackle with any conviction or timing.  They are ball players and relatively comfortable on the ball and rely on a degree of pace to get them out of trouble.  Without that pace (that Loovens has lost) they are very vulnerable.

Without Hutch, we have a slight and small defensive midfielder in Jones who can run but is neither skilful nor hard.

It boils down to poor recruitment and no solid uncompromising cover for Lees or Hutch.

And that's just the defensive areas.....