George Hirst Saga..

11 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Good idea OG, but can they afford his wages?

I will ask young spud to have a whisper in Mr Haythornwaites ear tomorrow? 

(He has more clout than i) 

If I win Euro Millions tonight I'm buying Blackpool off Oystens and will take George on here with Gary Bowyer as mentor then hand him back FOC to Wednesday because I'm I good guy ...lolnot buying Wednesday it's the Jim Smith Ethos don't manage the club you love ......

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

More mud slinging from the Hirst side of things (whether Beresford has done this on his own volition). 

Still - I don’t think the club have helped themselves with the whole stopping him playing. In saying that, would we all feel the same if this was a senior player in a similar situation? 

Fortunately society and the government are starting to realise that there are 2 aspects to health-fitness-performance which is both physical and mental. If a player doesn't possess both he's not up to the job. We hear about people being fully fit when really they mean he's fully physically fit. Big difference. Not only does a player need to be fully physically fit his head needs to be the same, if it isn't (which is obviously the case here) why would the club want him representing them?  

15 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

He'll probably come back to haunt us playing for AFC Fylde at Hillsborough in the Carabao Cup in 2024.

@OWLERTON GHOST

It maybe a question of who blinks first, the lad needs to sign up and prove himself and then he'll get what he deserves, either a big fat contract or shown the door. Too many people want things on a plate these days. At the moment, he just isn't worth it.

The only surprising thing in that scenario was if it was still the Carrabo Cup! 

• Haha 3

I was and will always be a massive fan of DH. However I cannot believe the amount of time being wasted on this subject. If his dads name was Fred Smith everybody on would be saying get lost. He’s proved nothing. When FF asks for more money everyone says get rid. Yet we have a nobody holding the club to ransom and people back him. He’s trouble bin him off. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 hours ago, cowl said:

Explain to me how it's hardball?!

We've made him an offer, they've rejected it, we've said we won't budge, they've said they won't budge - that's hardball, and in this case both sides are playing it.

Not picking him for any of our sides makes no negotiating sense whatsoever. You don't return to the negotiating table after a stunt like that. You just cut communications.

If Doyen had pointed out to DC that the club would receive no compensation if Hirst goes abroad, then DC just says 'fine, if that's what George wants', and therefore tries to call their bluff. But, of course, anything can happen between now and next summer when his contract expires, and maybe the lad will change his mind, or maybe the sorts of offers from clubs that he thought would come his way don't transpire, and perhaps he'd only be all too happy to sign the contract offer. Needless to say, none of these possible eventualities will happen now that we've taken the nuclear option of excluding him from selection a full 10 months before his contract is due to expire anyway.

We don't know the details. The club think they're doing the right thing for the club. The player/representatives think they're doing the right thing for the lad. Whether folk agree it's right or wrong both are playing it tough. It's business. 

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

In Mel Sterland's autobiography it tells the story of him signing his first professional contract for Wednesday and after having been an apprentice.

Mel's dad advised Mel to ask for such and such an amount, so Mel did.

Jack Charlton just laughed and said sign here son - Mel signed.

In his book Mel says he was happy to do so, as all he really just wanted to do was to play football and to play football for Wednesday the club he loved.

Talking of Wednesday legends, he's one of the best.

Them were the days.

UTO

Arent chelsea capping youth players wages at 5K next season? or at least theyre considering a cap in that region.

Ive no idea whats gone on with him & his reps,but it seems clear the kid doesnt see his future here,its his future and what he does with it is upto him,not sure wether its his old fellas way of getting back at us for not letting him leave for manu under francis or not,but lets all move on and let the kid play some bloody football & forget all the politics

55 minutes ago, Dirkster said:

We don't know the details. The club think they're doing the right thing for the club. The player/representatives think they're doing the right thing for the lad. Whether folk agree it's right or wrong both are playing it tough. It's business. 

How do you know any of the cast in this murky drama think they're acting in the best interests of those whom they purportedly represent? I certainly don't. But even if they do think they're acting in someone's best interests it hardly makes their actions beyond reproach.

And you can't just call something 'business' merely because it's an action done by a business. Stopping him from playing has absolutely nothing to do with business or anything that could reasonably be called as such. You're just being wilfully blind by even suggesting so.

'Business' would be Hirst's side asking a ridiculous amount of money and DC turning it down. As would Hirst's side asking a reasonable amount of money and DC still turning it down. I don't actually care what Hirst's asking for; it may have been reasonable, it may not have been, and if so it wouldn't have been the first time in the history of man that someone asks for more only later to settle for much less, or even to ask for more and only to get it elsewhere.

We won't know now how it may have turned out because we've forced a definitive outcome by preventing him from playing. Any club in the market for Hirst now know only too well that they don't even have to match whatever we've offered him, they could offer him less and he'd still have an easy choice to make between a club that ostracise him with almost a year to run on his contract, and a club that offer him a chance to escape.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

I don't say that either side is right or wrong. It is business though. I don't think that the actions of either side is necessarily beyond reproach. I question the snippets that seem to be being dripped out from one side but again it's probably just a tactic deemed appropriate by that party.

We still don't know how things will turn out. 

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

5 minutes ago, Dirkster said:

I don't say that either side is right or wrong. It is business though. I don't think that the actions of either side is necessarily beyond reproach. I question the snippets that seem to be being dripped out from one side but again it's probably just a tactic deemed appropriate by that party.

We still don't know how things will turn out. 

It stopped being business when DC prevented Hirst from being picked for any of our sides.

Tell me - speculate - what action on Hirst's side would justify taking this course of action? Action that has ensured there'll be no more negotiation. And not an action that can even be recognized as being a frustrated 'to hell with you then' since it's been done almost a year before his contract is up.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
8 minutes ago, cowl said:

It stopped being business when DC prevented Hirst from being picked for any of our sides.

Tell me - speculate - what action on Hirst's side would justify taking this course of action? Action that has ensured there'll be no more negotiation. And not an action that can even be recognized as being a frustrated 'to hell with you then' since it's been done almost a year before his contract is up.

We don't know that there will be no more negotiation before the contract runs out.  Players and agents play it hard. I have no problem with the club playing it hard. If the club is breaking any FA rules or employment law they'll be held to account no doubt. If the stance of either side is imprudent it will have ramifications.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc