George Hirst Saga..

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Hopefully we'll never have any other players coming up through the ranks that are coveted by top clubs otherwise we'll most likely just go through this whole drama each time whilstever DC's calling the shots.

On the other hand if it really is about money (not sure if it is or not), if the club had given in they would have created a precedence for any other up and coming players

Guest Hillsborough Mole
3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

What about £2k a week at 18?

If we can tie him down for that - even for another 12 months, and get him out on loan - it would be an absolute bargain

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, Hookowl said:

On the other hand if it really is about money (not sure if it is or not), if the club had given in they would have created a precedence for any other up and coming players

Or maybe just the ones regularly banging in goals week in and week out for England, and attracting bids of £2m from Premiership clubs?

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, @owlstalk said:

There's no way he's ready for that

He's a million miles away from facing Championship defenders

How do you know?

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Or maybe just the ones regularly banging in goals week in and week out for England, and attracting bids of £2m from Premiership clubs?

Your reasoning is right but players agents don't seem to have the same reasoning as normal people

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

How do you know?

Errr because he's about 3 stone wet through. 

Appreciate the lad is a talent. But there is no way he's going to be picked ahead of Hooper, Fletcher, or Rhodes...and rightly so, because we'd ruin him within a couple of games. 

All of the aforementioned strikers are feeding off scraps currently. Why would that suddenly change just because George Hirst is playing? 

It seems to me his camp think he's already made it....he hasn't. Get yer contract signed, go out on loan and come back bigger, stronger and more experienced. That's exactly what Brooks did.

Like I've said in this thread already. I don't think the club or the Hirst camp are handling this very well. It's pathetic from all parties - but for that Beresford fella to suggest it's all Wednesdays doing is disingenuous imho. 

Guest addedtime
10 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

How do you know?

I watched him against Ian Evatt at Chesterfield. Hirst was just bouncing off him. Evatt had all ends up, which is saying something.

Just now, Hookowl said:

I actually don't have a problem with the fact that DC has undoubtedly set a limit on how much he's prepared to offer Hirst.

I do however have a problem with him halting negotiations and preventing the lad from playing with almost a year left on his current contract.

He's made an outcome that was perhaps likely practically inevitable, but with the additional downside of putting Wednesday in a very negative light as a developer of young talent.

"Come to Wednesday and we'll develop your talent all the way - unless, that is, of course, that your talent attracts interest from Premier League clubs and you'd like to explore your options because then we'll stop you from playing for a year"

1 minute ago, cowl said:

I actually don't have a problem with the fact that DC has undoubtedly set a limit on how much he's prepared to offer Hirst.

I do however have a problem with him halting negotiations and preventing the lad from playing with almost a year left on his current contract.

He's made an outcome that was perhaps likely practically inevitable, but with the additional downside of putting Wednesday in a very negative light as a developer of young talent.

"Come to Wednesday and we'll develop your talent all the way - unless, that is, of course, that your talent attracts interest from Premier League clubs and you'd like to explore your options because then we'll stop you from playing for a year"

Although I like everyone else don't know the true facts, it appears to me that both parties are not cast in a very good light

With all the people on owlstalk does no one either know George Hirst or David Hirst to ask them:-

1) have you been offer a deal to sign for Sheffield wednesday as a first team player or youth team (i.e. the later would be under £1,000 we would assume).

2) If you have turned down the clubs offer was it on the grounds of money or route into the first team.

3) Did the club make you sign with Doyes or were you approached by them personally.

4) Have Doyes prevented you from signing a contract you would have had they not been involved.

I think the above would clear up a lot of the miss communication about this whole very embarrassing and messy saga in the clubs history.

Ask the Chairman 14 - what measures have you put in place to prevent another George Hirst situation happening in the future? 

Just now, Hookowl said:

Although I like everyone else don't know the true facts, it appears to me that both parties are not cast in a very good light

It's a fact that he's being prevented from playing, and CC confirmed this is due to him not signing a new contract - you really don't need to know much beyond this.

How much Hirst is after and what the club has offered him is now secondary to the issue how we've conducted the negotiations.

I don't care if Hirst has asked for a ₤1 million per week. If we can't ultimately come to an agreement with him then so be it, but in the meantime we explore options. Just stopping the lad from playing effectively ends negotiations with almost a year of his current contract still left to run - a year in which anything could happen, including Hirst changing his mind, a possibility which is basically ruled out now because DC has bizarrely exercised his power to prevent him from playing.