I might be thinking they are more intelligent that they are, but it might be a good way to see what is being bought where and what times etc so they can easily adjust stock levels and stock placements etc. 

It does seem odd that you couldnt just top up online or via an app... or just have an app and use NFC in the phone like Apple/Android pay

1 minute ago, adamnich said:

I might be thinking they are more intelligent that they are, but it might be a good way to see what is being bought where and what times etc so they can easily adjust stock levels and stock placements etc. 

It does seem odd that you couldnt just top up online or via an app... or just have an app and use NFC in the phone like Apple/Android pay

My Dad is going to poop a brick 

He's only just got used to metric money!!!

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Or here's an idea purchase or food and drink before entering the stadium using local seller and reasonable prices and use cash/card and then no need to use any E Cards.

Just a thought think of all the money the fans would save for the price of a £2.50 cup of tea you could get a butty and a drink.

Augsburg ground was in the middle of nowhere. 

21st century is about to enter its 18th year. Things change, and if the club are seeing this as an improvement then give them the benefit of the doubt as they are trying something that is tried and tested in overseas stadia that get much bigger attendances than Wednesday. 

23 minutes ago, cowl said:

What'd be really convenient though is a system that allows you to pay by merely waving your mobile or bank card over some sort of reader that then directly authorises the transaction and takes the money directly from your bank account. No need then for this intermediary card.

Someone should invent this and call it something like 'contactless payment'.

Not much good for the young'uns though is it?

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Not much good for the young'uns though is it?

Then they'll be dependent upon whoever brought them to the ground in the first place to get them some food and drink I suppose.

Of course, you could still have a separate queue just for cash payments.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

Then they'll be dependent upon whoever brought them to the ground in the first place to get them some food and drink I suppose.

Of course, you could still have a separate queue just for cash payments.

That would make sense

Easier to use your contactless bank card so the only reason the club could be doing this is to avoid the transaction fees.

As I never buy anything more than an occasional  cup of tea at an outragous £2.50 a time. I think the club can afford the 25p charge.

• Like 1

It's a stored value card which is used by many corporate organisations, retailers and banks around the world.  You top it up, and away you go. No need to take your cards to the match - it's all on your season ticket card (of course, many people will still take their card)

It's convenience, as it turns your ST into a multi function card basically. Lots of people prefer store value cards for budgeting reasons, and folk just do it for security reasons. 

From a business perspective, the unspent cash on the cards will be stored and the club may earn some interest on it. Perhaps generating some more revenue. 

49 minutes ago, Adam1867 said:

I went to watch Augsburg earlier this season, and they do something similar.

You have to purchase e-cards prior to the match, and then you can purchase food and drink. After the game there was a tent where you could reclaim whatever you hadn't spent. 

If it works for zee Germans, it'll do for us.

I was talking to a German kid at half time against Forest, and he was asking me where to purchase the cards for food and drink. I tried to explain the cards were bank cards not pre payment cards. No wonder he looked puzzled.

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

Cracking idea, shorter queues if staff don't have to give out change or wait for card machines to authorise payments. Impressed and a step into the future for Hillsborough. Topping up your card online rather than trying to find a cash machine sounds easier for me.

Well done Wednesday.

What about contactless?

Just another way of fleecing fans.

There will be a minimum of £10.00 deposit onto card.

22 minutes ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

Now to be fair, It is somewhat easier for me. I don't have a contactless card so topping up with a debit card every now and again is better than using a debit card every time I want a drink. 

Looks like it but for the customer its a step back. I assume the staff have to check the card first before they start pulling the pints to ensure the punter's got enough credit? If not, it could hold things up if there's no alternative payment available.

Like all these schemes, including utilities industry, the customer is giving businesses money up front, before they've actually bought anything, and I assume that business can re-invest all the combined money elsewhere earning them interest.

58 minutes ago, torres said:

Is it just me or is that a lot of messing about for a cup of tea?

Each to their own. I take something callled a ‘ten pound note’ with me and that usually covers my needs on the day. The only downside is the 5 minute wait while they work out how much change I’m due but it’s a small price to pay for such quality goods.

I don’t even have a credit card and it took me 5 years to work out how to join this forum, so my pre match pie eating days could be over. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Animis said:

Looks like it but for the customer its a step back. I assume the staff have to check the card first before they start pulling the pints to ensure the punter's got enough credit? If not, it could hold things up if there's no alternative payment available.

Like all these schemes, including utilities industry, the customer is giving businesses money up front, before they've actually bought anything, and I assume that business can re-invest all the combined money elsewhere earning them interest.

which immaterial of whether you agree with the idea or not does make good business sense