I must be missing something. How is e-cash quicker and more convenient than a contactless card payment. Isn’t this a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? Or quite possibly I am missing the point?

As Hillsborough heads toward being the first cashless stadium in the country, supporters in the Grandstand can continue to trial our new E-cash system on Saturday when the Owls host Bristol City.

E-cash is the quick and easy way to pay for food and drink on the concourse as we aim to improve the matchday experience by reducing queue times and speeding up the payment process.

The process is simple: hand your Team Card to the sales assistant and they will debit your card with the value of your purchase.

Anyone with a Team Card (Season Ticket holder, Member or Owls Foundation Member) is already registered for E-cash.

Topping up and checking your balance is quick and easy at the designated E-cash loading stations within the stadium.

For Saturday’s fixture, we will have our designated top-up station in the Grandstand.

Fans will be able to top up their Team Card from that station. In due course, the system will be rolled out across the stadium.

An application is currently being developed so fans can register online and top up from a debit or credit card and view their E-cash balance.

When fully up and running, loading stations will appear in the follow locations:

Owls Megastore, Ticket Office, South Stand concourse, Grandstand concourse, North Stand concourse and Kop concourse.

Supporters can also make purchases within the stadium using debit/credit cards/contactless payments and cash until we make the full transition.

Ultimately, we aim for Hillsborough to become completely cashless for ease of purpose and to enhance the whole matchday experience for supporters.

‘Supporters can also make purchases within the stadium using debit/credit cards/contactless payments and cash until we make the full transition’

I think it reads as though they are stopping card payments. Although it could mean they are just stopping cash payments and not be clearly written.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

I imagine its the same reason why a lot of work places have a similar system, where you top up your ID card and use that in the cafe/restaurant area. But i'd like to understand why they do!

Is this perhaps a more profitable way of doing it? Hope people forget they have money on their card? Minimum amount for loading (i.e. £10) so it entices people to spend more? 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I imagine its the same reason why a lot of work places have a similar system, where you top up your ID card and use that in the cafe/restaurant area. But i'd like to understand why they do!

Is this perhaps a more profitable way of doing it? Hope people forget they have money on their card? Minimum amount for loading (i.e. £10) so it entices people to spend more? 

You might have nailed it. They’ll get charged every time somebody pays with a bank card.

Cracking idea, shorter queues if staff don't have to give out change or wait for card machines to authorise payments. Impressed and a step into the future for Hillsborough. Topping up your card online rather than trying to find a cash machine sounds easier for me.

Well done Wednesday.

Presumably the E card are completely free with no transaction fee - if not then it seem fairly obvious why the club would be doing this as each transaction cost say 25p then they have been able to increase their prices without you thinking you are paying more.

Personally just get a guy/girl at the till who can actually count and pay them cash other stores have been doing this for 100's of years and they seem to manage it but of course this is modern technology.

Lets hope the E top up units don't run out or go down or the club won't be able to sell anything........

What'd be really convenient though is a system that allows you to pay by merely waving your mobile or bank card over some sort of reader that then directly authorises the transaction and takes the money directly from your bank account. No need then for this intermediary card.

Someone should invent this and call it something like 'contactless payment'.

• Haha 1

I went to watch Augsburg earlier this season, and they do something similar.

You have to purchase e-cards prior to the match, and then you can purchase food and drink. After the game there was a tent where you could reclaim whatever you hadn't spent. 

If it works for zee Germans, it'll do for us.

2 minutes ago, Adam1867 said:

You have to purchase e-cards prior to the match, and then you can purchase food and drink. After the game there was a tent where you could reclaim whatever you hadn't spent. 

Is it just me or is that a lot of messing about for a cup of tea?

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

What'd be really convenient though is a system that allows you to pay by merely waving your mobile or bank card over some sort of reader that then directly authorises the transaction and takes the money directly from your bank account. No need then for this intermediary card.

Someone should invent this and call it something like 'contactless payment'.

Wow you could make some money with this why has no one though of it...............

wait a minute is this the top up card idea the owls have thought of like people used to do 20+ years ago when mobile phones were first invented and you went to the local shop to top it up, what a great idea if it was 1996.

3 minutes ago, Adam1867 said:

Or here's an idea purchase or food and drink before entering the stadium using local seller and reasonable prices and use cash/card and then no need to use any E Cards.

Just a thought think of all the money the fans would save for the price of a £2.50 cup of tea you could get a butty and a drink.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Or here's an idea purchase or food and drink before entering the stadium using local seller and reasonable prices and use cash/card and then no need to use any E Cards.

Just a thought think of all the money the fans would save for the price of a £2.50 cup of tea you could get a butty and a drink.

Exactly, Wednesday have just introduced an idea to reduce in ground sales.

Well done chaps - once again.

Wednesday fans, football fans in general, are not going to f@nny about with this nonsense.

'' do u fancy a pint before the match in the ground?''

''Yep, lets just get our E Card updated, then spend twice as much on a pint than the pub, then after the match wait about to get the money we have not spent back from our E Card!!''

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, torres said:

Is it just me or is that a lot of messing about for a cup of tea?

It is indeed.

Suppose it helps with the Germans as they sell alcohol during the game. So they have people walking up and down the stands with trays of beer. Makes it easier to purchase with a contactless e-card than messing about with cash and chip and pin.