Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

In the time that I have been watching - post Ron Springett - and by virtue of what I have witnessed with my own eyes, I would have to say Martin Hodge. A very good keeper, brave and very consistent and who  also played a still club record 214 of consecutive Wednesday games - pretty impressive.

The best save I actually saw him make was a fantastic reflex save from close range, against Blackburn away, in a 0-0 draw. I forget the year and who he saved from, but i do remember myself and a good mate who were both stood directy behind the goal, both being in total awe.

UTO

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

We had another one as well. He made his debut at 15 years and 8 months and we eventually let him slip through our fingers unfortunately. Anyone remember who it was?

Ron Springett for me though followed by Martin Hodge with Pressman and Bolder tied for 3rd place.

Peter Fox.

Had a long career at Stoke, I think.

Ron Springett, but thats more from a kids memory and his England caps to be honest..Hodge was a good servant, Pressman, woods...Fox even...Grummit and Ramsbothom weren't bad

Westwood is up there....Lucas..had some good ones haven't we?...best save I think was Weaver against Leicester at home, late on

Edited by asteener1867

30 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

We had another one as well. He made his debut at 15 years and 8 months and we eventually let him slip through our fingers unfortunately. Anyone remember who it was?

Ron Springett for me though followed by Martin Hodge with Pressman and Bolder tied for 3rd place.

That would be Peter Fox. Think he made his debut in '73 v Orient. Ended up being the regular keeper at Stoke for many a year.

21 minutes ago, owler66 said:

I know a lot don't like him because of his stint as manager,but for me Chris Turner pulled off the most important save in all the years I've been watching Wednesday,the one from Brian Mclair in the league cup final 

That was the moment I knew we were going to win the Cup!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, BDM4nil said:

In the time that I have been watching - post Ron Springett - and by virtue of what I have witnessed with my own eyes, I would have to say Martin Hodge. A very good keeper, brave and very consistent and who  also played a still club record 214 of consecutive Wednesday games - pretty impressive.

The best save I actually saw him make was a fantastic reflex save from close range, against Blackburn away, in a 0-0 draw. I forget the year and who he saved from, but i do remember myself and a good mate who were both stood directy behind the goal, both being in total awe.

UTO

I'm guessing their Irish winger Brotherton? Think that was the 83/84 promotion season. I was stood behind the goal on that one too!

Like a few others on here,I was still a youngster when Ron Springett was our keeper,Ron was always one of my fav players as a kid,he did benefit from some excellent protection,Swan,Kay,Megson,Young,he didnt gain all those england caps for nothing and he played the majority of his Owls career at the highest level.

On the other hand Bob Bolder played at the lower end,he was dropped a few times,in one match,think it was an end of season game at tome to Swindon,he made some truly outstanding saves all in the one game.The protection in front of Bob was never international standard by a LONG way,but one stat he left with was he played 224 games for us,and conceeded 243 goals.thats quite some record in any set of circumstances.

Edited by legendaryswan

I've only ever seen one keeper single handedly 'save' an actual team, and that Scott Carson. For that short spell, he was incredible. 

Hodge and Westwood very close 2nd place. 

Pressman gets votes because he always did well against the Pigs. Overrated Imo. 

Edited by vulva

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Did you see him play?

Even in his own words, he had an unhappy time here. 

Was good at forest in his younger days.  

was not being totally serious, hence the ? If I had been more withit I would have inserted an emoji to indicate humour.  Anyway, remember as a kid asking my Dad what time it was, and he answered 5 past Grummitt.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

I'm guessing their Irish winger Brotherton? Think that was the 83/84 promotion season. I was stood behind the goal on that one too!

Yeah that's sounds right cheers, i think it was Brotherton and he was a decent player. I remember giving him some stick noiw, about his bald bonce.