Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

In my life time it has to be Pressman, Westwood and Hodge.

Westwood 2014-17 and Pressman 94-97 were good. I thought both lived off their prime, fior several years too long after that. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bucksowl said:

Ron Springett bye a mile, spent so many weeks (years) watching him total star if it had not been for Banks would have had many more England caps (Banks was another level sorry to say),

My grandad would wax lyrical about Springett whenever an opportunity arose.

"If it wasn't for the best keeper in the world he'd be England number 1"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lowry said:

My grandad would wax lyrical about Springett whenever an opportunity arose.

"If it wasn't for the best keeper in the world he'd be England number 1"

Ron Springett for me.......reading this I'm feeling old.

IMG_20231125_161018.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/11/2017 at 23:55, hirstyno9 said:

This was awesome, I think Nigel Pearson got the other goal.

Has anyone got any video footage of this game?

It was an early kick off and the video crew turned up after the game finished.

Apparently this game is the last time a top flight match was not filmed. Every single top flight game since has video footage somewhere.

On 09/11/2017 at 17:29, BDM4nil said:

In the time that I have been watching - post Ron Springett - and by virtue of what I have witnessed with my own eyes, I would have to say Martin Hodge. A very good keeper, brave and very consistent and who  also played a still club record 214 of consecutive Wednesday games - pretty impressive.

The best save I actually saw him make was a fantastic reflex save from close range, against Blackburn away, in a 0-0 draw. I forget the year and who he saved from, but i do remember myself and a good mate who were both stood directy behind the goal, both being in total awe.

UTO

Best save I've ever seen in my life. Was a certain goal. 

I was probably stood quite close to you.

Was definitely 1983/84 season, Blackburn away. Game finished 0-0.

I'm too young to have seen Springett.

Hodge is the best Wednesday keeper I've watched. Truly superb shot stopper, consistent, brave, strong, reflexes of a cat, professional, reliable and gave the defenders confidence. 

Honorable mention for Chris Turner, simply for the save from McClair.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2017 at 14:15, WayneTheOwl said:

To be fair we've always had decent keepers. Pressman in my era for sure. Woods was good but had a mistake in him. Westwood has been solid. 

Trying to think of one we had on loan, was superb, from Liverpool - can't remember his bleeding name !!!

Scott Carson?

For me, Pressman, Turner, Westwood, Srnicek gets a mention too, might have been the end of his career but he was great for us, Crossley, especially for the goal.

Dawson will be looked back on a lot more fondly than he is currently viewed by some, played in an atmosphere where despite being "one of our own" a good portion of the fanbase were actively hostile to him, played during the Luhaky debacle with fans chanting for another keeper to be playing even when Cam was doing nothing wrong, stuck with us, pushed past Wildsmith for the spot helped get us promoted and hopefully helps keep us in this league, will he go down as one of the greats? no of course not, but he will be fondly remembered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first started following Wednesday (mid 90s), The goalkeepers were Chris Woods (number 1) and Pressman (Number 13). For a couple of years I always wondered who Chris Woods was as I never saw him play until the First Steel City Derby at Piggy Lane (we won 3-1). Never saw him again other than in the catalogues where he modelled everything!

For me its Pressman, especially the games against the pigs where he was unbeatable. 

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Woods was often critisised for a reason....he was sh*te l

Sadly, a typical post for you

Even more bizarre……you alright?…..I should get yourself checked out fella